Author Topic: TOPPER DELUXE CLASSIC EJECTOR PROBLEMS  (Read 955 times)

Offline JRSR126

• Trade Count: (0)
TOPPER DELUXE CLASSIC EJECTOR PROBLEMS
« on: December 05, 2004, 12:50:38 PM »
Took my first shot with my topper deluxe classic and the shell failed to eject. Ejects fine with a new shell but still would not eject the spent shell when I put it back in. Load was Winchester Super X game load 2-3/4, 1-1/8 oz, #6.  Plan to test gun next week with a variety of loads. Would appreciate any advice on the problem. Walmart will send it back to factory but want to avoid that if I can.  Thanks

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 01:06:45 PM »
Did you clean the chamber and ejector mechanism well before taking it to the range?    These guns are usually shipped with a liberal coating of oil/grease to keep them from rusting before they get into the customer's hands.  They also tend to have a lot of metal shavings, etc left in them from the machining processes that are not cleaned out before they are shipped from the factory that could gunk up the extractor.   Is the chamber very rough looking with lots of tool marks?  Could be a polishing job is in order.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:41:59 PM »
Brett, thanks for reply. I did clean the chamber  and barrel with Topper solvent and patches, ran several clean patches and lubricated it with the gun oil patch. Looked at chamber, could not see any imperfections but I would not call it mirror polished in appearance. I could compress the ejector with my thumb although it was difficult. Was suspecting the ejector spring was too weak.  Polishing sounds like a good next step. Does the polishing have to be done at the shop or can I do it?

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 02:28:41 AM »
I will tell you what I did on my 12ga.  I took a spent shell and knocked the primer out of it.  I then put a screw through the primer hole with the head inside the shell and put a nut on it to hold it tight.  You can now attach the screw to a drill.  I used regular white toothpaste and coated the outside of the shell.  Put this in the chamber and spin it slowly.  Clean the chamber and reoil.  Make sure to get all of the paste off of the extractor.  After I did this I haven't had a minutes trouble out of mine.

James
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 04:23:39 PM »
TurkeyHunter's method sounds as good as any and toothpaste is a good polishing compound.  I've used it myself and not just on my teeth.

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
bore polishing
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 03:32:57 AM »
The toothpaste trick sounds great I wonder it automotive rubbing compound would work .....I bet that the casing trick would work on any caliber ... thanks for the trick...

Offline Brett

Re: bore polishing
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 11:33:53 AM »
Quote from: 3006bluffhunter
The toothpaste trick sounds great I wonder it automotive rubbing compound would work .......

Automotive rubbing compound would work also but not everyone has some laying around the house.  Be sure to use a fine grit.

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 07:03:07 PM »
Turkeyhunter, Brett, I tried the tooth paste method. Was easy to do. At the range, only 1 (3rd shot 3") of 10 shots failed to eject so it definitely helped.  Shot 2-3/4 (Winchester) and 3"(Remington) turkey loads. I think if I keep the chamber lubricated, I will not have a problems. Will give a range report on the TDC on a new post. Thanks for your help.

Offline Brett

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 01:05:13 AM »
Glad things are looking up.  Don't overdue it on the lube. That can cause shells to stick also.

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 02:44:51 AM »
Glad it helped!  It prevents cavities too!   :)  :-D
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"