Author Topic: That Darn Spike  (Read 861 times)

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
That Darn Spike
« on: January 16, 2005, 02:02:59 PM »
I have been looking, all season, for a spike that makes his way through our property.  Today is the last day of dear season and we decided not to go out this evening.  On the way back from visiting our neighbors, the spike was in one of the horse fields, 50 yards from the house.  I slowly walked into the house, and within the 15 seconds to get the gun he was gone.

Now I'm really pissed.  I'm calling the game warden Monday to see if I can get a special permit to remove him....

Doug

Offline JPSaxMan

That Darn Spike
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 01:41:40 AM »
Good luck. Tell the warden that he's costin ya property damage and he might just do that :) .  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
That Darn Spike
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 07:56:25 AM »
Think about it this way, next year he won't be a spike.
 :)

Offline rockbilly

That Darn Spike
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 07:57:26 AM »
:?: Why do you want to take him out?  Is it destroying property? Or could it be you are just pixxed because it outwitted you?  Any excuse except the destruction of property is unacceptable.  Let go and see if it will develope into a forked deer next year.

There are years when even the best of hunters don't get the deer they are chasing, they just suck it up, while both grow (up), and hope for a better year next season.

Offline JPSaxMan

That Darn Spike
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 09:53:19 AM »
Quote from: rockbilly
There are years when even the best of hunters don't get the deer they are chasing, they just suck it up, while both grow (up), and hope for a better year next season.

Do you mean deer in general or the 10 point you've been watching since summertime?
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
That Darn Spike
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 03:23:24 PM »
Let me clarify.  I was always told once a spike (about 5-6 inches) always a spike.  And the spike gene was passed via breeding.

Is this not true?

I wanted to take the spike to get him out of the gene pool.  Kinda taking a mutant out of the gene pool.

Thanks,
Doug

Offline rockbilly

That Darn Spike
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 03:52:49 PM »
Dougk, At one point that was the school of thought.  We went through a period here in West Texas where most all you were seeing were spikes.  A group of land owners got together and had everyone hunting their  property to shoot off as many as possible.  Later we found the reason for the high number of spikes was a result of the poor food as a result of the drought.  Area owners/hunters started a "management program" where nothing less than an eight was taken for three years.  This with a managed supplemental feeding program has produced a herd of really nice deer.  The past five-six seasons I have seen many more big deer that ever before. Opening day this year, I seen a bunch of young bucks running in a group, all were eight points.  

Does the deer have a sway back?  Do you know how to determine the difference between a young and old deer? If not, just watch it through the summer and into next fall and see what happens.  Most likely it is a first year buck, I'd just about be willing to bet you will see a fork next season.  And remember, like the bull is the ranchers most important asset, the big bucks are the most important asset for maintaining a good herd.

Happy hunting............... :D

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
That Darn Spike
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 04:17:02 PM »
Rockbilly,
thanks for the info concerning the spike.  We are starting a focused land management plan in the spring.  Multiple food plots, supplemental minerals and supplimential feed in the late summer.  I am glad to hear the spike is not a genetic defect.

The past season was focused on mainly does, a few button bucks where accidentally taken.  Next year the focus again will be does.  Leaving the bucks to grow to a one to one ratio with the does.

Thanks,
Doug

Offline rockbilly

That Darn Spike
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 08:41:52 AM »
dougk, If you are serious about a management program, I would contact your local game and fish folks.  They should have a biologist assigned to the field office that can give you some pointers.

I think you will find the one to one ratio is not really an effective plan.  We were told it is best to try to maintain about a 5 to 1 ratio.  That will provide plenty of shooting to harvest the extra bucks and plent of pleasure for the boss buck.  

Good luck in your program.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
That Darn Spike
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 02:51:24 PM »
They are coming out in March... I cant wait for those big deer next year...

Offline Chinaski

That Darn Spike
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 05:53:51 AM »

Offline rockbilly

That Darn Spike
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 04:28:14 PM »
chinaski, I was aware of this study.  It was conducted under almost ideal conditions where the deer were fed daily supplements to their regular diet.  My local game biologist has often told us that one of the major things affecting rack growth in this area is drought.  We went almost five years with no rain, a small shower or two, but no soaking rain to promote crop/grass growth.  This results in a very poor food source for the game animals.  Deer, turkey, quail all suffer from this problem.  The drought almost wiped out the turkey and quail, the deer were stunted.  We had major rain in Nov and Dec 04, that will help some but we still need rain.  Whih that in mind, you can understand why deer development is poor.  I know some of the spikes and smaller deer will have to be eliminated at some point to further improve the herd.

My comments to dougk was to dispell a myth that a spike is a spike forever.  He may not develope into that wall hanger we are all looking for, but given the change he can fork and perhaps make a good deer.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
That Darn Spike
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 04:07:59 PM »
In Hays County we have had good rains over the past 2 years.  Interestingly, on the way to let the horses out of the front barn this evening, I happened across a nice 6 point.  It was dark, the 2m candle spot light clearly allowed me to see he was a nicely developed (2-3 year old?).  The Pug that was with me decided to take him on.  Good thing I dont think my 22 mag pistol would have saved me if the deer turned :)

Offline rockbilly

That Darn Spike
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 10:37:12 AM »
:lol: Glad to hear you are getting rain.  Guess we got lucky too, woke up this morning to find everything wet, it's drizzled all day, kinda light, but we will take all we can get.  Maybe, we can enough to keep everything green, but it will take a flood to get the lakes back to normal.  One local lake is 27 feet below spillway, most others are 12-15 ft below spillway. Until then, the water table will remain low.  Heck, when I went down to get my hunting/fishing license this past Sep, they gave me a can of "tick and flea powder" said if I did catch any fish I should dust them for ticks and fleas before putting em back..........boy, you know it's dry.

Offline JPSaxMan

That Darn Spike
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 11:21:35 AM »
Quote from: rockbilly
:lol: Glad to hear you are getting rain.  Guess we got lucky too, woke up this morning to find everything wet, it's drizzled all day, kinda light, but we will take all we can get.  Maybe, we can enough to keep everything green, but it will take a flood to get the lakes back to normal.  One local lake is 27 feet below spillway, most others are 12-15 ft below spillway. Until then, the water table will remain low.  Heck, when I went down to get my hunting/fishing license this past Sep, they gave me a can of "tick and flea powder" said if I did catch any fish I should dust them for ticks and fleas before putting em back..........boy, you know it's dry.

Good lord, must be nice. We got SNOW (dunno if u Texans kno bout that :wink:. It's crystalized rain...white in color...and builds up in accumulation fast). Two feet in most places some places going on three feet (what I'd do for rain :roll:).  :D
JP

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
That Darn Spike
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 03:54:18 PM »
the weather here in Texas is terrible.  It was in the 40's. burrrrrrrrr..

Offline rockbilly

That Darn Spike
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »
:-D It was a messy day again today in West Texas, we got rain and snow.  Got about six inches of snow today, yes, I measures the flakes they were six inches apart.........

We got rain, but I understand Midland/Odessa north to Lubbock got a considerable amount of snow.  We were forcast for snow, but got lucky, it just rained.  Keeps this up I'll have enough water to wash ny neck, (maybe even something larger), this summer

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
That Darn Spike
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »
Ok I got the scoop on the spike.

Evidently, there is the great debate between Texas Parks and Wildlife and the Texas Deer Breeders Association about if spikes are genetic or not.  I have my view.  Younger deer less than 2 years can have a spike due to poor forage.  I the deer is 3 years or older, and a spike it is a defect.

Doug

P.S. my new neighbor raises deer.   If anyone understands the business model.  Please PM me.