Author Topic: 999????  (Read 717 times)

Offline emt

• Trade Count: (0)
999????
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:31:20 PM »
999 ???  found 999 at pawn shop great shape woundering what its really worth. shoots and looks great. thanks for replies in advance. new to sight but looks fun and full of imfomation . thanks again

Offline November

• Trade Count: (3)
999????
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 07:19:15 PM »
If it's in very nice condition, it's probably worth about $140 to $160.  If you need spare parts you can go to http://www.e-gunparts.com .  Lots of stuff there.  Good luck with your new pistol.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
999????
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 02:25:59 AM »
What the hay is 999?  Mikey..

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
999????
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 04:39:52 AM »
999 would be an old H&R .22 revolver. Pretty sure its the top break, but its been a loooong time.
NRA Lifer

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
999????
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 10:15:04 AM »
Right CJ, it's a breaktop. I've had one for years & it's a fun & fairly accutate .22
The double action is crappy, but single is good.
If it won't cock & the trigger doesn't work try oiling it. I've had that happen a few times. I haven't tried to take it apart yet.
The little protrusion at the hinge can be pushed in to allow the star to drop.
The manual doesn't mention it, but it didn't take long to figure it out.
The front sight adjusts.

Offline Tacoma

• Avid Poster
999????
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 04:42:26 AM »
The 999 "sportsman" was H&R's top of the line DA .22 revolver. 9 shot, break open, aout ejection, adjustable sights ( front and rear) , vent ribbed 4 or 6" BBL, polished blue finish, walnut grips.  One in mint condition might go as high as $250 ( especially instates that have restricted availability) but blue book is closer to $ 175 for a 98% one. ( They had a limited edition engraved one that is worth twice that.) Finish on most I've seen ( including my own) was better than anything else I've seen out of H&R.  Not spectacular a la colt  finish but well polished and evenly blued.  As mentioned, they had gritty DA pulls and acceptable SA. Main springs on these guns tend to weaken over time and so may need replacing or shimming.  The rear sight ( on mine) has a tendancy to loosen due to it's funcky design but it's not hard to lock tight it when you get it set. Accuracy was good but not target grade for most.   The best part about the gun IMHO is it's cool astetics and operating features . It's just a sweet and fun little plinker for cheap change.  

Here's mine: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=562

hth

Offline emt

999????
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 01:04:52 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Tacoma the look is what did it for me. sucker for a different look. this one must not have been used much. both DA&SA seem to work fine. its fun to shoot and solves not having to shoot shot in my 22/45 thanks again. nice picture mine has different grip kinda ivory style

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
999????
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 11:19:51 AM »
I have one and it's one of the guns I will never sell.  Love it.  My double action pull is actually really good, but don't forget to oil it occasionally.  If I let mine sit several months, then go shooting, sometimes the trigger won't return on it's own.  A squirt of oil and everything works again.  Quite accurate too.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!