Author Topic: Re model 70  (Read 789 times)

Offline Maine Woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re model 70
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »
I purchased a new model 70 supergrade 30-06 about a year ago. I have been shooting an 06 for about 30 years a Rem 760 pump gun is 1 1/2 at 100 yards sometimes a little better. I am going to South Africa to hunt in Aug. and I just wanted a bolt gun. I looked at EVERYTHING an quickly decided on the model 70. I knew when I looked at it the stock ( very nice wood! ) was going to need some work. Barrel channel hitting hard on one side not at all free floated, and trigger was without creep but very heavy ( almost 8 lbs. :eek:  Trigger is now 3.26 lbs. I pillar and epoxy bedded the action and free floated the barrel . Today I was awarded a 3 shot group of 7/8" I had been shooting 1- 1 1/2" I knew it was me, I think with a better bench set up or a better shooter the gun could allways go under 1" I have a VX III 1 3/4-6 in Leupold quick release rings and an OLD VX II 2-7 (in QR of course) as a back up scope. I had a gunsmith I have used for many years do the Trigger ( and go over the gun) the rest I did myself. I have a gun I am proud of both the way it looks and the way it shoots , it feels real good!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re model 70
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »
Congrats on the -06 Model 70. A very ..classy..choice :toast:
South Africa, what exactly are you bringing the -06 to hunt down there? And what loads are you using? An interesting choice, but I don't disrespect it. Not at all.
-Aaron

Offline Maine Woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re model 70
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 03:11:42 AM »
Hi Myarmor I hope to shoot heyna, impala, warthog, zebra and gemsbok possible a wildbeast. It looks like I will be useing Federals factory 180 Gr. barnes triple shocks. I have only fired 2 of them looks like my gun may like them, I have been useing 180 Gr. corelocts as my sighting in and practice ammo. As soon as I zero my back up scope I will get off the bench! I shoot about about 50 rounds of 22 LR 5 or so days a week to make bolting from the sholder first nature. ( I have shot a pump so much I don't know how the gun reloads , it just happens.) I feel the 06 is enough ( obviously not too much ) for the bigger animals. The TSX has had much proven sucsess in Africa and I hope to have good shot placement.