Author Topic: First Deer  (Read 820 times)

Offline Highbrass

• Trade Count: (0)
First Deer
« on: December 22, 2004, 05:22:21 PM »
Got my first deer last Friday!!I was sitting in a tower stand on some power lines.At first light I heard something crashing through the woods.Then out from in front of me I see a spike walking right towards me. :shock: I've been hunting for two years and haven't seen a deer in the woods.It was like an alien walking out in front of me.I waited for him to get to the side window and I took the shot.He kicked like a mule and ran about 20 Yards.He stood there and I knew he was hit in the vitals,but i wanted to seal the deal and make a second shot.I was calm as could be for the first shot,but for the second shot I was shaking like a leaf.Needless to say,he walked about 20 more feet into the woods and he was down.When I found him I was still shaking.What an experience.Everybody laughed at me when I kept the extremely small antlers but to me it was a trophy of a lifetime.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
First Deer
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 07:19:46 PM »
E-mail it to me at gbomgmt @ graybeardoutdoors.com  (close up the spaces) and I'll fix it for ya. I reckon a first deer deserves to be shown. Weren't no interenet when I killed mine, or digatal cameras or scanners or even computers in private hands for that matter. Dang am I that old?  :eek:

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
First Deer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 03:06:21 AM »
:) congratulations to you Highbrass there is nothing like the first one. It doesn't matter how big the horns are or if it has any at all, you'll never forget it. Save them horns, put them on a plack and show them off proudly because now you are a  8) DEER HUNTER :grin:  my man. You will be knocking them off like crazy from now on. What did you shoot him with.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
First Deer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 08:11:47 AM »
Congratulations on your first deer. Any first deer is a trophy to me. My son got a very small doe for his first deer. The taxidermist had to cut the form down on the smallest doe form to mount it. But I am as proud of my sons first deer as I was of my first deer, a spike buck. I still have the antlers on a plaque.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Highbrass

First Deer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
Thanks Mr. Graybeard for helping me with the picture.I have sent an E-mail.I shot the deer with a marlin lever 30-30.Has a cheap Tasco 3-9 x32 scope on it.Definitely did it's job.Can't wait to use it again.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
First Deer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 12:57:27 PM »
I inserted your photo in your post above. I cropped out the tub as it didn't seem to belong. For future reference if you can remember. I like to always take the photo out in the woods or at least with as little civilization as possible in the photo. Just seems "more right" to me. I know I like the photos of my deer taken that way better than those I took with too much civilization in them. Yeah I've got a bunch both ways. Now I try to do it in the woods.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline Highbrass

First Deer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 01:57:20 PM »
Thank you for posting the picture.I would have taken the picture in the woods but I forgot to bring my camera.

Want to hear something funny.My wife was in another tower stand about 500 yards away from me.She told me that she saw a nice doe before she heard me shoot.She said she had the crosshairs on her and when she pulled the trigger,nothing happened.She said the doe looked up at her and she was gone.Misfire.............nope.She forgot to load her gun :-D .
I wish she would have got her,but she just now admitted to what happened.And she gave me permission to post this.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
First Deer
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 04:12:32 PM »
I never saw a buck I did not like.  Congrats on some good eating this winter.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
First Deer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 11:48:42 PM »
Congrats on your first deer! Put those antlers on the wall and show them off proudly. Any deer taken in fair chase is a trophy!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
First Deer
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 01:22:15 AM »
Hey, my first deer had smaller antlers.  The buttons on my buck were so small that I had no idea that it was a male when I shot it, and I was looking through a scope with it not more than 15 yards away!  But the small ones really do make some great eating even if they dont give ya a whole lot of meat.
Congrats and welcome to the fraternal order of deer hunters that has been around since mankind has been walking  :) .
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
First Deer
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2004, 02:59:21 PM »
Congratulations! My first one was smaller than that.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline victorcharlie

First Deer
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2004, 03:08:17 PM »
Congratulation!  My first was a 3 pointer in 1974.  There wasn't near as many deer then as there are now.......I had a shoulder mount done that cost me $75 dollars back then.  I still have him on the wall to this very day. .......I've killed many deer over the past 30 years or so, but none provided the thrill of that little 3 pointer...... I would expect you to be proud, I know I was.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline JPSaxMan

First Deer
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 04:06:34 PM »
A deer is a deer no matter how big it's antlers are. Congrats and good luck in the future!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
First Deer
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 03:51:36 AM »
Congrats to you on your buck.  I killed my first one in 1991 and have been hooked ever since.  Them 30-30s have been turing deer into venison for over 100 years.  Nothing wrong with them or your buck.  Congratulations to you sir and good luck going after deer no. 2.  By the way......I like your handle :grin: