Author Topic: .223 bullets  (Read 662 times)

Offline TrapperZach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.223 bullets
« on: January 20, 2005, 12:45:36 PM »
when i start relodin .223s and buy the bullets the lead part do i buy the .22 bullets thats all i see. i dont want to sound dumb but i duno.

Offline Ed in AL

.223 bullets
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:56:28 PM »
You actually need .224 diameter bullets.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
.223 bullets
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 01:11:39 PM »
well it really depends what you what to use them for .i'm a big fan of sierra match kings for target and hornady v-max's for varmints. take a look at midways reload part under "224" bullets any of those can be shoot in a 223 rem but som are much better then others . tell us what yo want to use them for and we'll try to help you out.

oh one quickie because of the twist of the handi's barrel  your going to want something lighter then 60 grains or it probably wont group.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.223 bullets
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:13:32 PM »
TrapperZach, I suggest you first get one of the many good reloading manuals. They all have introductory chapters. Read it and then read it again until you understand it, then ask more questions. Reloading is not something to make mistakes at....<><.... :shock:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
.223 bullets
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:40:44 PM »
im defintly goin to msp ret  but i willl be fur huntin and target shotin.

Offline dognot

.223 bullets
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:27:37 PM »
Not sure on your reloading exp. but like was said above read read read, and ask questions, I like 40 grain V max molly bullets, They shoot very well, and I seem to have good luck with my furs with them. I push them with W 748 powder and remington BR primers.

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
.223 bullets
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 04:27:18 AM »
Lots of people seem to have good luck with the V-Max bullets; I'm trying some 50gr Nosler BT's to see how well they group. Using Varget at the moment, and CCI #400 primers.

Good luck, and like they keep telling you, read all you can. It's amazing how addictive reloading can be...
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Mamba_Driver

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://home.comcast.net/~ronweiser/
.223 bullets
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 07:16:29 AM »
Although I have been reloading shot shells for years, I'm also new to reloading rifle cartridges.  I just sent my Ultra back to NEF for a .223 barrel and my reloading equipment is on its way.  Also bought the Modern Reloading manual from Lee.

I've been reading everything that I can lay my hands on.  MSP Ret is right!

I ran across a Hand Load Data page for .223s off the Real Guns web site.
http://www.realguns.com/loads/223r.htm

The gun used for testing was a Rem. Model 7.  I know that every gun is different, heck, even every barrel is different, but I wanted a reload starting point.  So,... I thought I would start with the setup from the page that had the smallest group size,... seemed logical to me???  Don't know any better!  :grin:   Rem. PSP 55gr., IMR 3031, CCI 450 primer, 26.0gr. charge -10% to start.

Thoughts,... warnings,...

Thanks.