Author Topic: reloading rimfire  (Read 2304 times)

Offline maggot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
reloading rimfire
« on: January 16, 2003, 03:13:23 PM »
I'd like to try loading a 70-80grn bullet in a .22lr case or .22mag.Then putting on a fast twist barrel.Has anybody heard of this? :sniper:

Offline Pecos

• Trade Count: (0)
reloading rimfire
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 05:10:50 PM »
Hope ya have lots of money to buy the special machine that it takes to put the priming charge into the rim.  Far as I know, its not possible to do at home.

Pecos

Offline maggot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 06:20:34 PM »
Notice I said loading not reloading.You'd have to pull bullets out of new rounds. :)

Offline Advocate

• Contributor
reloading rimfire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 07:34:38 PM »
Do you think that you have too much time on your hands?

Offline maggot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 07:42:57 PM »
Yes :cry:

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
reloading rimfire
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 04:45:36 AM »
Maggot,
The 22 lr wont work because it uses a healed bullet where the base of the bullet is smaller than the full bullet diameter. If you were to somehow get a .224 bullet in the case the case would be larger where the bullet is than at the base. The 22 rimfire mag. will work though there is an older man here in town who use to load 50 gr. Nosler BT's in the 22mag case. This was before the 40 gr BT and before the newer premium 22 mag loads we have today. I have seen some of his loads and watched someone else shoot some of them. I have never watched him load them and have no idea how he pulled the bullets with out the rounds going off though. This same man would do a lot of things in reloading that people said cant be done like reloading the aluminum CCI blazer cases. If he was told it could not be done he would try to find a way to do it and would work till he did it or proved to himself that it really could not be done.
This is not something I would personally recomend but if you just have to try it Please be very careful
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
reloading rimfire
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 03:04:03 AM »
For heavy bullet 22LR just get Aguila SSS 60 gr. ammo. It works great in a AR15 with conversion kit or one of those fast twist barrels you can get for the 10-22 or 77-22. For the magnum, we used to do that "back in the day" for IHMSA. You have to make a shellholder to grab the rim, then pull the bullets and reload with 55gr. They really take the rams down, but it's still a waste of time now that 22 Hornet is legal for Field Pistol.  So no, I'd say don't waste your time. Even the old trick of necking a 22 mag down to .17 and reloading is obsolete with the 17 HMR out now, so there's not much need to go through the trouble here.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
reloading rimfire
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2003, 08:11:37 AM »
Hello Nobade,

Could not help but to give my one and a half cents in here.

Even though someone else has done something it still not necessarily a waste of time. Sometimes it's fun and worth it, just to do it your self. For why do we make our own bullets, casting or swaging? There are bullet companies already doing it. Or why do we reload? There are ammunition manufactures already doing it. Or why do we hunt? The grocery stores are full of meat. Lots of reasons are given to do the things we do but it comes down to one basic reason, because we want to.

So, if anyone out there wants to reinvent the wheel, I say be safe and have funnnnnn at it!

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Robert

Well said Donna..
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 08:39:22 AM »
If you could fasion something to hold the rim in your reloading press, then just raise it up and hold the bullet with a pliers, and lower the case to pull them.  Question is....what could you hold the rim with?   Have you ever tried patching the powder charge or using a filler to hold the powder in place.  Then you could simply insert the bullet in the chamber, and then put in your charge behind it.  Seems like it would work, I havent tried it.
....make it count

Offline maggot

• Avid Poster
!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2003, 05:05:23 PM »
Thanks for backing me up Donna!I've already tried those Agiula 60grn's
they work great out my 1-9 twist.But I think we can do better than a round nose.Robert has a good idea about putting the bullet right into the chamber.Once I got a .17 pellet gun barrel ,chambered it to accept a .22 blank.Then I loaded it with a 6grn pellet.The pellet disintigrated out the barrel!

Offline Advocate

• Contributor
reloading rimfire
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2003, 05:31:49 PM »
where to you get the Aguila .22's with the 60 grain bullets?

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
reloading rimfire
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 03:36:30 PM »
:D  Lots of silhouette shooters load premium bullets in .22 mag cases to shoot at the Rams.  The "stock" bullets don't reliably take them.  They pull the bullets, use their own powder, and have made up seating dies to seat the bullets.  As far as I know, they don't crimp.    I have talked with a few and have gleaned some info.  I have not tried to reload any.  If one were to accidentally go off, it would be one I was trying.  Some of the guys use a .308 case shortened to about nothing, drill out the primer pocket, and use this in .308 shell holder.  Put the empty .22 mag case thru the drilled out primer pocket and the .308 case is your shell holder for the .22 mag case.  Other guys have modified .25 acp shell holders.  I have a .25 shell holder on the way to try to use for .22 mag cases.  Not to load .22 mags, but to use the fired 22 mag brass, neck size up to .240, then put in swaging press.  Empty .22 mag brass makes a real nice 117 gr 6.5mm bullet.

Good Luck with your endeavor.  Try a post in the silhouette board.  Some of the hunter/field pistol shooters may respond with what works for them.

Steve :wink:

P.S.  I have not tried any of the above with live .22 mag cases and do not suggest anyone else do either.  Disclaimer in case of accident.  You are on your own.
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline jhm

60 gr 22 ammo
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2003, 05:39:49 AM »
Advocate you can usually find the 60 gr. 22 ammo at most gun shows, you will find them with all of the bulk ammo dealers. :D   JIM