Author Topic: Sad, but true...  (Read 861 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Sad, but true...
« on: January 01, 2005, 02:05:57 PM »
http://www.idahopress.com/articles/2004/12/16/news/news2.txt

Idaho man shoots friend in chest on a dare

Death: Kamiah man apparently encouraged friend to shoot him in the chest while wearing bulletproof vest

The Associated Press

OROFINO -- A Kamiah man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly fatally shooting his friend -- on a dare -- through a protective vest.

Alexander Joseph Swandic of Orofino died of a gunshot wound to the heart, Clearwater County Sheriff Alan Hengen said. If convicted, David John Hueth, 30, faces up to 10 years in prison.

Authorities claim that Swandic donned the protective vest Monday night about six miles east of Weippe and asked Hueth to shoot him, apparently as a prank or a dare.

Investigators claim Hueth initially denied pulling the trigger, saying Swandic's wound was self-inflicted, but later admitted firing the 9 mm semiautomatic handgun.

The two apparently tested the vest by propping it against a dirt bank and shooting it twice, police said.

"After Hueth shot the vest they pulled a bullet out of it and realized it did not go through," Amanda Barlow, a Clearwater County sheriff's deputy, wrote in a probable cause affidavit.

But the vest was designed to protect against grenade fragments, not bullets, said Deputy Guy Cordle, a firearms expert. It failed to stop the bullet fired while Swandic was wearing the vest.

"They shot where the vest lapped over, but that was the weakest spot," Cordle said.

A third man with the group, 28-year-old Pierce resident Thomas Fitzpatrick, told the men not to do it and was getting into his truck to leave when Swandic was shot, Barlow said.

"He said after the shot he saw Swandic grasp his chest and start jumping around in the road. He said that he stumbled over to his truck and then fell down on the ground," she said.

The other two men loaded Swandic into the bed of his own pickup truck and then drove him to a nearby home, where they called authorities. Emergency crews took Swandic to Clearwater Valley Hospital in Orofino, where he was pronounced dead.

Police claim Hueth confessed to shooting Swandic.

"He said, 'I pulled the trigger. I shot him. I killed my best friend,'" Cordle said.

Hueth is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Dec. 27.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sad, but true...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 03:50:50 PM »
Sounds like we have a new winner for a Darwin Award.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Sad, but true...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 05:02:47 PM »
It is sad...the old saying holds true..." Stupid is as Stupid does"...and now a life is lost as the result of it...May God have mercy on both their souls...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Sad, but true...
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 05:31:27 PM »
Mac beat me to it....Like ol Forrest Gump says "Stupid is as stupid does"

Offline magooch

Sad, but true...
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 05:06:04 AM »
The Lord has many ways and methods of scouring out the gene pool.
Swingem

Offline Dali Llama

Sad, but true...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 08:46:15 AM »
Quote from: magooch
scouring out the gene pool.
:shock:  :eek:  :shock:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Sad, but true...
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 08:47:36 AM »
A fellow I know back when I was alot younger use to take a phone book put it under his shirt and shoot himself in the chest with a 22 pistol. Just for laughs and to freak everybody out. One night an older buddyy of mine was there and told him to stop, but he did it anyway. My buddy took the pistol from the moron and beat the living snot out of him. Probly saved his life.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Dali Llama

Sad, but true...
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 08:55:20 AM »
Quote from: Hooker
A fellow I know back when I was alot younger use to take a phone book put it under his shirt and shoot himself in the chest with a 22 pistol. Just for laughs and to freak everybody out.
Dali Llama say it probably be of critical importance whether aforementioned phone book be for Duncan, Oklahoma or New York City, New York!! :-D  :)  :-D

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Similar case in Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 07:45:08 AM »
They had a case like this in Canada a while back.  Guy had a protective vest plus a couple of phone books.  (No idea how thick.)  Buddy shot him in the chest with a 12 gauge.  In this case the vest did its job, but the point the idiots missed was that a modern vest is designed to stop penetration, not the whack.  The guy ended up with a couple of broken ribs and some spectacular bruises.  Last I heard the local law was trying to figure out what to charge who with.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Similar case in Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 08:02:49 AM »
Quote from: unspellable
Guy had a protective vest plus a couple of phone books.  Buddy shot him in the chest with a 12 gauge.  In this case the vest did its job, but the point the idiots missed was that a modern vest is designed to stop penetration, not the whack.  The guy ended up with a couple of broken ribs and some spectacular bruises.  
:shock:  :eek:  :oops:  :(  :(  :(

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Sad, but true...
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »
(Ron just shakes his head and thinks:  "The ever-increasing stupidity of man never ceases to amaze me.")
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dali Llama

Sad, but true...
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 01:30:58 PM »
Quote from: Ron T.
(Ron just shakes his head and thinks:  "The ever-increasing stupidity of man never ceases to amaze me.")
:agree: