Author Topic: aframe vs. barnes tsx  (Read 1199 times)

Offline acearch72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
aframe vs. barnes tsx
« on: December 28, 2004, 05:43:55 PM »
Could anybody give an opinion of the terminal hunting performance of the Swift A-Frame as compared to the Barnes TSX.  I have tried to shoot the Barnes in my 7mm Remmag, but it just won't shoot them with any accuracy.  I was looking at the Swift web site and the A-Frame looks like a reasonable substitute.  Also, I wouldn't think the A-Frame wouldn't have the copper fouling issues of the Barnes.

Offline jonr

Did you...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:44:00 AM »
I can not offer an opinion on the A Frame.

Did you TOTALLY clean ALL of the copper fowling out of the barrel of your gun before you tried the TSX bullets? I have had very good accuracy with them in my .338.

Just my 2 cents.

Jonr :D

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
aframe vs. barnes tsx
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 02:53:10 AM »
I tried everything.  Even sent the gun to a gunsmith for a super cleaning job.  Still got about 4" groups at 100 yds from a 1/2" moa gun.  My understanding is that some guns just won't shoot the Barnes.  I guess mine is one of those.  I gave the Barnes bullets to a friend whose Savage shoots them great.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
aframe vs. barnes tsx
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 03:50:02 PM »
If you want a through cleaning just buy a can of WIPE OUT and follow the instructors. Forget about your gunsmith.

Just curious but what is your intended target? Not many game animals require bullets as heavily constructed as the A-Frame. Besides, who wants to mortagage their house for a few hundred bullets?  :-D

Nosler Accubond bullets are VERY accurate and are a strong bonded core bullet that can penetrate almost any game animal. You aren't hunting T-Rex are you?  :shock:  :)

I shoot A-Frame pistol bullets out of my 454. They are accurate and perform as expected when used on tough targets.

VH

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
aframe vs. barnes tsx
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 05:07:13 PM »
Why wasted your money on either? Premium and super premium priced bullets are not needed to kill deer. I've probably used them in the form of Nosler PTs on 3-4 deer at most. The rest have all fallen to regular old plain jane vanilla bullets from folks like Remington and Hornady for the most part. Yeah sure some have fallen to Nosler BTs and Sierras but by far the most have fallen to Hornady and Remington bullets.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!