Author Topic: Kel-Tec vs. Bersa  (Read 1442 times)

Offline buckeye hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« on: November 29, 2004, 04:17:20 PM »
Both Kel-Tec and Bersa produce concealable semi-auto pistols that sell for about the same price.  I was wondering if someone might give some practical advice concerning one verses the other.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 01:04:03 AM »
I own two Kel-tec's. A .32 and a .380. I love them, never had any trouble from either, and wont be without them. No matter what else I have on me, I always have one of them in my right front pocket.  I have only owned one Bersa. A friend of mine and I bought one each at a gun show, brand new at the same time. Neither one would function with any type of ammo we tried. POS. I dumped mine off as soon as I could. He tosed his into the back of his safe and forgot about it. I have no desire to ever be inflicted with another one.
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 01:08:27 AM »
I have not had a chance to shoot a bersa but, I have had a chance to shoot the Kel-Tec P11 (9mm) and the P3AT (.380 auto).  I really like the Kel-Tecs.  The only thing that might take a little getting use to is the DAO trigger pull, it seems a little long.  Both Kel-Tecs seem to be accurate and are very tough.  I have read that you need to run about 100 rounds through the Kel-Tecs to break them in.  During the 100 round break in you will probably have a few jams but, afterwards no problems.  I bought my P11 used and have had no problems, very concealable.  Hope this helps!

Tbull
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D

Offline jgalar

Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 01:48:55 AM »
I have the kel-tec 9mm. I have never had a jamn using jacketed ammo. I have had a few using my low powered cast bullet loads. The trigger pull on the kel-tec isn't heavy or rough just very long. Think of it as a dao snubnosed revolver that holds 10 rounds and is very light and inexpensive then the trigger won't bother you.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 06:37:38 AM »
I have the Kel-Tec 9mm and the .380. Never had a problem with either of them. This is my second 9mm and both have been 100% reliable. Finish is not pretty on either, but they work and are easily concealable. I put the mag extensions on the 9mm. Can get all fingers on it and is comfortable. No experience with the Bersa.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
Thanks!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 04:16:42 PM »
Just the info I wanted.

Offline .308

• Contributor
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 07:04:51 PM »
Quote from: greenjeans
 Finish is not pretty on either, but they work and are easily concealable.  quote]

I have two .380's and a 9, I sent the 9 back for a hard chrome slide, barrel, slide stop, and assembly/disassembly pin, $20. Plan to send the .380's back for the same treatment, same $'s. BTW, I love them, wifey does too, which is a big plus. :lol:

Offline jgalar

Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 02:25:23 AM »
http://www.ktog.org/ is the kel-tec owners group. You can find lots of usefull info and reviews.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 03:36:56 AM »
I own a Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 ACP) that I really like.  It is my constant companion whenever I leave the house.

My wife and I both have our CCW (Ohio) permits and prefer the .380 Kel-Tec for concealed carry to any other pistol I have including my 1935 Walther PPK in 7.65mm.

My individual P3AT was one of the first P3AT's manufactured... and I think the first ones must have been a little less smooth (in operation of the slide) compared to the later ones 'cause I had to run about 300 rounds through mine before it "smoothed up" and quit jamming.

I've handled a few of the later manufactured P3ATs and find them MUCH smoother operating than mine originally was.  However, NOW... my P3AT operates just as smooth as the newer (unfired) ones.

I am extremely happy with my little Kel-Tec... and don't regret buying it in the least... and as far as the "finish" goes... my blued one is just fine... it's dull blued finish resists finger marks as well as rust.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 11:25:24 AM »
I've owned 2 KEL-TEC P11's... and loved them. One I sold to my son and the other got traded in when I decided to switch to Glocks for carry guns.
I also have a KEL-TEC P32 that gets carried when I feel like I want to carry 3 guns and the little P32 simply disappears no matter where or how I decide to carry it.

Ok.... now... both P11's never gave a bit of trouble after running a little over 100 break in  rounds through each of them.. and they both were easily concealed OWB/IWB or in a pocket.

The P32 also needed around 100 rounds of break in to smooth itself out but I also had to add a small wire to the magazine to ensure the ammo wouldn't "rim lock" inside the magazine. The gun has been stone reliable ever since.

The Glock G26's I decided to change up to from the KEL-TEC P11's were, and still are, absolutely reliable from the get go. No break in rounds were necessary with both guns happily ingesting and firing any ammo I loaded them with... FMJ or JHP and any bullet grain weight... and the light pull DAO triggers increased my accuracy immensely from the P11's long and somewhat stiff trigger.... And, somewhat surprisingly, the half inch longer Glocks are as easy to conceal as the P11's were.

Ok... now on to what this conversation was supposed to be about.....

I've never owned a Bersa but have seen them and shot one 380 a friend had at the range.. I was not impressed... not even a little bit. I don't know for sure if they are or not..... but the Bersa appeared to be a Taurus knock off complete with, in my opinion, the useless and annoying internal lock.

However, with such limited exposure to the Bersa I can't definitively say they are good.. or bad.. guns. But, in my estimation the KEL-TEC's are head and shoulders above the Bersa.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline .308

• Contributor
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 10:05:14 AM »
Quote from: Ron T.
  and as far as the "finish" goes... my blued one is just fine... it's dull blued finish resists finger marks as well as rust.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Good for you Ron, but my wife's P3AT began to rust a great deal on the assembly/disassembly pin (she carries it when she walks) so the hard chrome replacement took care of that.  8)

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 04:54:49 AM »

Yes... I can see how your wife is better off with a hard-chrome model since she carries it when she walks and often, exercise causes "sweating" which can be deadly on a "blued" gun.

I don't handle my Kel-Tec much other than to slip it into my pants pocket when I leave the house... and being a senior citizen, I tend to avoid working physically hard like I use to do.  As a result, the blued version does just fine for me.

I originally ordered the Parkerized P3AT for my use, but found they didn't seem to be "available"... and so I opted for the standard model because my wife and I had gotten our CCW Permits ((Ohio) and I wanted the light-weight little P3AT to carry.  At the time, I was carrying my old (1935) 25½ oz. Walther PPK in 7.65mm... and I much preferred the more powerful .380 using +P loads.

I am a long-time hunter/shooter/reloader & gun owner... and have always taken really good care of my firearms, so my Kel-Tec gets cleaned & "wiped down" on the outside on a regular basis whether I shoot it or not.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 11:32:48 AM »
I guess I'm alone here, but the Bersa I have is a gem, and the price was right.  It shoots to the sights, has yet to jam in over 500 rounds, and does what I bought it for.  It's a bit big for a pocket gun, but my honey likes it, and the decocker was easy for her to learn and understand.  The grips fit her hands, something that she couldn't say about the P3AT we looked at.  I'm more of a revolver guy, but I like the way it feels, and it's fed every type of ammo I've tried in it.  Cleaning and takedown is easy and straightforward, and the rear sight is adjustable, something you don't see on a lot of pocket pistols.  It throws the brass a bit farther than I'd prefer, but were I to load for it, I bet it would work fine with slightly reduced loads, and not throw the empties into the weeds.

Sorry for rambling, but I felt like somebody had to stick up for the poor little Argentinian.  Bersa has been making and selling these guns for at least 25 years, they can't be that bad!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline rockbilly

Kel-Tec vs. Bersa
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 03:28:56 PM »
:D I don't have any experience with the Kel-Tec, but if it's a better gun that my Bersa it must be great.  I bought mine new, put 4-5 hundred rounds through it and it always functioned flawlessly.  I also have a couple of older model PPKs, Mauser HSc and a Super HSc.  The little Bersa is as good or better than either one of those.

Offline Scorpius

bersa vs. kel-tec
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 10:38:11 PM »
I've put 1000 rounds through my bersa, and have never had a failure to feed or a jam.  It's a fine little gun from my experience.  Give it a chance.
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/