Author Topic: What the best way to clean lead from the barrel?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
What the best way to clean lead from the barrel?
« on: October 20, 2004, 06:16:59 AM »
I have a Ruger P97 that I reload for.  A few months ago I bought some bulk bullets from Powder Valley that were 230gr. jacketed round nose that had an exposed lead base.  

After firing about 300 rounds, I have noticed some leading building up in the barrel.  I have cleaned with Sweets 7.62 and still can't get all of the lead out of the barrel.

Any suggestions about how to clean?

I am thinking about buying/making my own lead bullets, but don't want to if leading is going to be a problem.

Jerry
:D

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Lewis Lead Remover
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 07:41:33 AM »
A brass screen over a rubber plug that you can expand and scrape the bore without removing gun metal.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7777
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
What the best way to clean lead from the ba
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:40:57 AM »
Here's what works great for me...I'm assuming you're using 45 caliber...
1) Get a 38 caliber bronze brush.
2) Wrap it with fine bronze wool (available from Brownells. It lasts a long time. Some guys use fine steel wool instead.).
3) Wet it with solvent.
4) Scrub the bore with it, chamber end first.  Spend most of your effort near the chamber because that's probably where most of the fouling is.

This will get even the worst fouling out in about a minute of effort.

5) Before putting this bronze wool mop away, squeeze the solvent out of it with a rag. Lasts for several cleanings. Add more bronze wool as needed when the old stuff gets too matted down.
Safety first

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
Removing lead
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 05:08:56 AM »
Sweets is a copper solvent, it won't do very much for lead.  As one other poster here said, the screened "Lewis Lead Remover" or one of it's clones are unbeatable for this job.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »
I haven't really invested in above said items; what I would do, provided the leading is not too bad, most often not, is shoot another bullet type next time I'd go shooting.  Like my 454 for example, I've fired lead bullets (swaged) through it before and exhibited some leading, tried everything, from brushing like mad with a bronze brush, etc.  I gave up, quit shooting Swaged lead, and fired a few 454s at the range next time I went.  Leading cleared like nothin' else.  So from now on, if I ever fire any type of un-jacketed bullet, it will either be cast, or none at all! :grin:

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline drdoolittle_1

• www.thegungarage.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:35:48 PM »
what would the best options be for 22LR?
The Gun Garage

God bless our troops....and THANK YOU!!!!

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 08:10:57 PM »
An outers foul out or as some have done make your own.  Instructions are somewhere in the archives here.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 09:10:27 PM »
Jerry,
Sweets is not made to remove lead.  Although, it is great for copper fouling.  Try some Hoppe's #9 and a bronze brush.  If some short soaks and brushing doesn't work well enough, try plugging the barrel and fill it with Hoppe's and let it soak overnight.  You can get neoprene plugs at your local hardware store.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline jgalar

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 03:55:54 AM »
fire a few jacketed bullets to blow out the lead fouling, then use the Sweets to remove any jacket fouling.

Offline jar-wv

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 06:15:53 PM »
I use a method similar to questor, except I use Chore Boy copper cleaning pads available at the grocery story. Made for cleaning pots and stuff.

jar

Offline sgtt

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 07:25:50 PM »
If you choose the chore boys from the grocery, give them a magnet test.  I found some that contained some iron.  (stuck to the magnet)
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 11:20:34 AM »
I have scratched my head trying to figure out the best way to prevent leading and I'm still scratching.  It is a pain to remove even with the methods mentioned.  A much wiser shooter told me not to worry about leading until accuracy suffers.  I doubt if many of the newer shooters I have observed could recognize that accuracy was depleted.  Even fewer of them clean their pistols as I have witnessed when repairing their weapons.  All experienced gunsmiths and shooters have seen what happens when a leaded bore is neglected.  My theory is that bimetallic corrosion between the lead and steel due to a very small electrical current either causes a corrosive metallic salt to form or there is a migration of molecules out of the steel by electrochemical action.
We should realize that mechanical cleaning in most instances will remove practically all contaminants quicker and more efficiently than solvents that are permitted in modern cleaners these days.  I have a selection of "bore cleaners" which I have found through experience to be close to worthless except for removing unattached powder residue. Soaking bores for hours should enhance the efficacy of these cleaning solution. Electronic methods by devices such as Ohlers, should work if done exactly as prescribed but I suspect that metallic alloys of the steel will also be removed or at least disturbed.  I have no evidence that this will "ruin" the barrel.
Cleaners such as Sweet's which contain ammonia have been discussed and cussed because ammonia has been claimed to attack some steel alloys too vigorously if left in a bore longer than a few minutes. I don't know if I believe this or not.  I use it on badly jacketed bullet fouled bores.  After all this, I must say that mechanical cleaning with a Lewis lead remover does (even tho' it requires more effort and expense) the job of removing lead from pistol and revolver barrels more efficiently and quicker than any other method I have used.  I hope that the chemical lead remover cleaner mentioned works.  I'll give it a try.  If it doesn't I will just add it to my collection of all the other solvent bottles on my shelf.
Some lead alloys, swaged or cast, coupled with adjusted velocities, either fast or slow, have reduced the propensity of unjacketed bullets to lead some barrels. It is a combination IMOH which some have accidentally fell upon rather than deduced by experience or experimenting.
Good luck.
Doc
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Lewis Lead remover
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 06:36:49 PM »
For 38 cal and up, the Lewis Lead Remover is the way to go.  I have badly fouled my9mm,  41 and 357 mags a few times.  The Lewis Lead remover is relatively inexpensive and VERY effective. I find it much quicker, and easier than swabbing a bunch of chemicals and patches or brushes.  I like to hold the rod with my feet and pull the gun barrel up and off the rod. Easier to do than to pull the rod out of the gun. An auto barrelis pretty easy too - might want to hold the barrel with a gloved hand.

For the guy asking about 22 rimfire - I'm surprised to hear of much leading there.  But if you have leading, don't be too aggressive or you could damage the rifling. Here I'd use a solvent rated for lead removal, Hoppe's 9 or maybe Shooter's Choice, Butche's Bore Shine (there may be better choices but this is what I use) saturate the barrel and let sit for a few hours. Then work over with a new bronze brush, gently.  Run through some clean patches then another course of solvent or two if needed.  Mostly I try to wipe out my .22 bores regularly with a few solvent patches and avoid brushes most of the time.  Now and then I might run a nylon brush through to clear old lube.  .22's are usually pretty easy to keep clean and foul free. HTH
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 02:35:23 PM »
Make your life easy.Chore Boy copper cleaning pad is what I use.Just take a pair of siccors and cut enough to wrap around anold bore brush and then run it through the bore.I run mine through dry first and man,does the lead come out.A couple swipes is all you need and then use your solvent to finish the cleaning.I have used the Lee lead remover but it was a pain in my butt.I find the grocery store stuff works great and I use it in my 629 classic,Ruger Super Black Hawk and my Les Baer 45 acp. and my Colts.Everybody that I shoot with swears by it.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 07:14:57 AM »
Get a package of assorted vaccuum line caps (any auto parts store), some white vinegar and some hydrogen peroxide (any drug store.)

Stand the gun (or barrel up) in the sink with the bore plugged with a vaccuum line cap and fill it with a 50-50 mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.  Watch it carefully -- you don't want to get this mixture on the blued surface, or on the grips.

A grey scum will form --  that's the lead.  Pour it directly down the sink.  Dry and check the bore -- if it's clean, lube as normal.  If not, give it another dose.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »
In a STAINLESS gun only, you can use a concoction consisting of 50% white vineger and 50% hydrogen peroxide.  Plug the forcing cone (I use my finger!) and poor the barrel full from the business end.  Wait 5 minutes and the lead will wipe out quickly with two or three passes of a clean patch.  Well fiddlesticks!  I shudda read Vern's post first! :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 10:32:36 AM »
I have successfully used vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in carbon steel barrels many times.  You need to watch it, and pour the mixture out as soon as the scum starts forming, but with care it works beautifully.

Offline Gregory

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 12:20:59 PM »
Quote from: jgalar
fire a few jacketed bullets to blow out the lead fouling, then use the Sweets to remove any jacket fouling.

This is the same as what I do, shoot 5-6 jacketed bullets through the gun then clean as you normally would.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline sgtt

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005, 07:19:45 PM »
I used to fire jacketed bullets over lead..........until I witnessed a bulged barrel from the practice.[/url][/quote]