Author Topic: Stand location?  (Read 530 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Stand location?
« on: January 01, 2005, 02:12:44 AM »
Do you hunt the same trail/stand location year after year?  Or do the deer avoid that trail after getting spooked or shot at the next year?  oktx

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Stand location?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 02:46:04 AM »
I have hunted the same stand location year after year. I just have several options of where I want to sit. Also I do on occasion use a climber to get to a new location if the deer are in a different area of the land.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Stand location?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 04:38:23 AM »
i've been hunting the same stand year after year, and I have shot deer after deer out of it, but like Redhawk1 said, I do move sometimes because the deer will use different trails depending what time of day it is.
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
spooky deer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 06:57:35 AM »
oktx  The ones you kill aren't spooky next year.  Only the ones you didn't.  Seriously, I've hunted the same path year after year also and continue to see deer.  Maybe these deer are just slow learners.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline Daveinthebush

sAME STANDS
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 07:22:21 AM »
We like to have several permanent stands ususally placed in funnels or other areas where you don't have to worry about the traffic pattern changing.  While this is good, it is also best to keep your options open with some portables just in case you spot other deer that don't know enough to walk past the permanent stand.  

Someone used to manufacture a blow up doll to place in your stand so the deer would get used to seeing a human outline.  Explain than one to the wife!! :roll: 'I am buying this blow up doll to take into the woods with me."  It should be a good marriage test.

As I taught my son when he first started hunting: "The deer will be where they are when they want to be there."
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: sAME STANDS
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 07:30:31 AM »
Quote from: Daveinthebush

Someone used to manufacture a blow up doll to place in your stand so the deer would get used to seeing a human outline.  Explain than one to the wife!! :roll: 'I am buying this blow up doll to take into the woods with me."  It should be a good marriage test.

As I taught my son when he first started hunting: "The deer will be where they are when they want to be there."

Boy that was funny, all I could picture is blow up doll looking with that ooh expression on it's face.  :D  :eek:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA