Author Topic: hearing protection?  (Read 459 times)

Offline iiibbb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
hearing protection?
« on: January 03, 2005, 10:21:23 AM »
So.  I've always just been into range shooting.  This was my first year hunting and it became immediately apparent to me the futility of wearing my usual ear protection while hunting.  Seems like you need to have your ears open to be at all effective as a hunter.

I don't remember my shots... my ears certainly weren't ringing after the shots.  Hearing loss is kind-of insipid though...

What do you guys use... if anything?  Is there anything out there that balances protection with being able to listen to what's going on around you while hunting.

Thanks

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
hearing protection?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 10:54:38 AM »
I don't use anything while hunting. I know I should but like you said you just need them ears to catch the deer. Usually it's only one or two shots a day while hunting I put up with more noise than that at work. I work in a steel fabrication shop it runs about 75 decibels continuesley and sometimes much louder. I wear plugs at work but not all of the time.
I do wear muffs while at the range.

Offline JPSaxMan

hearing protection?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 11:32:13 AM »
I too don't use anything for noise. You have to remember, unless you're a bad shot deer hunting chances are you're only going to take one shot. But when you're firing at the range firing 20+ rounds those blasts will start to hurt a while if you don't have ear protection. If you really want something, invest in Walker's Game Ear. I've heard good things. Let you hear better than normal but block out the blast of a rifle or whatever. Take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Lawdog

hearing protection?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 02:39:59 PM »
After 30+ years in law enforcement, 45+years of hunting/shooting I can tell you everything that 'C130E' had to say is VERY TRUE.  Once it's gone, IT'S GONE.  I use Walker's Game Ears while hunting and Walker's Quad Muffs on the range.  Use Walker's or something like them and you won't end up like some of the rest of us.  Sure they cost but what price tag do you put on your hearing?  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.