Author Topic: folds them up like a book  (Read 368 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
folds them up like a book
« on: January 03, 2005, 02:23:37 PM »
hi -

after 5 days of being up here in the bleek north of new york state i worked up a sweet 28 gauge load that my pardner likes. i bagged 6 birds since getting here last thursday.

the load was 3/4oz of #8's with a AA28 wad, a win209 primer and 13 grains of hodgdon longshot powder. i used remington premier husks.

a washing machine sized cardboard box at about 25 yards had no flyers to speak of on it and every bird was taken clean, no cripples.

yeah ! too bad february is only a few days short of a month away, too many grouse, not enough time.....

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
folds them up like a book
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 04:00:40 PM »
Hello, Scattergunner! I have never hunted grouse, but my Dad was a CT grouse hunter, and his stories all sound like the ones you can read in old upland hunting articles........
Anyway, I have questions about grouse hunting in winter (snow?)
Do you use a dog? Do you just look for proper habitat and work on kicking the birds up? Does bringing a partner help.....? I'm always alone in the woods......
Is it that "simple", or is there more to it.
I have encounted a few bird hunters in the forest where I deer and squirrell (mooooose aand skwirdel?) who seem to find them....so they ARE there.....

Maybe I'm not asking the right questions.......maybe you know the ones I need to ask!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!