Author Topic: some newbie deer q's  (Read 488 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
some newbie deer q's
« on: January 06, 2005, 09:36:44 AM »
i have a large field to hunt and 80 acres of woods beside it. i have found some very fresh tracks and heavily used trails going to and from the field, but heres my problem. the field is is changed every year from soybeans to corn. last year it was soy beans and there is a corner that is to wet to cut so there still standing and the deer are still eating, this is where i found the fresh tracks. the field is going to be plowed under soon and corn planted. after the corn(i've heard please corect me if i'm wrong) reaches the milk stage the deer will start using the field again ans cover and food. will they ues the same trails from last year??? or will they make another???? thanks for any info!!!!!! :P
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
deer patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:49:27 AM »
buckslayer;  my 2 cents worth;  deer patterns will be affected by terrain, water and other cover as well as food sources.  I hunt in a corn/soybean/woods habitat and it doesn't seem to make much difference what crop is growing, the deer are patterned the same year in and year out.  They will start eating corn while it is small and continue on to the end of the growing season.  Same for beans.  During warm weather they bed in grass out in the open, high on a hill just off the top.  In winter move to the warm timbered slopes of the hills.  This has happened the same since I can remember.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
some newbie deer q's
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 11:57:39 AM »
Here's my 2 cents as well; you can never predict deer to 100% sufficiency. I thought I had my plot of land figured out, but I didn't. Deer can be very erratic and most of the time don't follow a schedule or a trail. Or so I've found. Then again my deer may be the weird ones :roll: .  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding