Author Topic: GP-100 .357 Mag w/ 3" barrel  (Read 544 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
GP-100 .357 Mag w/ 3" barrel
« on: January 05, 2005, 01:16:45 PM »
Anyone have or had one of these? How was the accuracy at distances of 50yds or less? Anything good or bad about them? I'm considering one in the future, and would like to hear from those who have had experience with them. Thanks :D   Patriot
-Patriot

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 02:01:48 PM »
I have the 3" model with fixed sights. Bought used as a police turn-in and according to the Serial No. is almost 20 years old. The only wear it showed was on the factory grips, otherwise very good shape. I put Hogue monogrips on it because I don't like the factory, just didn't fit my hand well. Love the Hogues. I use it for plinking at the range and usually have it with me when deer hunting. I normally use S&B or Blazer, 158 grain and the gun is extremely accurate with both these factory loads. Never had any problems whatsoever. Double action trigger is not up to the Smith Model 65 I foolishly traded away, but is not bad. If the newer ones are as good as mine would recommend to anyone. I can shoot about 2" at 7 yards offhand and have never tried from a rested position. Hope this helps.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 06:31:18 PM »
Worked on one for a fella, did a trigger job and put in a wolff kit.  Tested it with some plain loads I had and it shot quite well.

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 07:53:47 AM »
Have a 2-3/4" Security Six that I love dearly.  While I did hit a soda can at 100 yards with it once, I haven't done it again.  But the ones at 75 yards are scared to death if they aren't hit.  Single action shooting.

I am pleased with the accuracy of THIS gun.  I wouldn't hesitate to get a GP100 and feel confident in it after a bit of practice.

I don't think you will be disappointed.  Keep in mind it is different from a Smith.
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 03:08:50 PM »
my only question would be: why go with such a heavy-framed revolver in such a potent cartridge only to get a 3" barrel?    i've used a 4"-barreled gp-100 and think it's great.......but that seems a much more reasonable length giving some extra gusto to such a decent cartridge -- since the frame and grip are so heavy on these things.    

if i wanted a 3" barrel in a .357 mag' i'd go with one of their 5-shooters whether for concealed carry or as a hunting back up piece.    then again, i'd much rather have a 4 or 5" barrel with adjustable sights on it for hunting.   incidentally, with a 3" barrel, i admit that the revolver is not much as a hunting back up.    

the 4" i've used, with adjustable sights, does amazingly accurate shooting at 100 yds', let alone 50; probably because it handles recoil so well.  

good shooting to you,

SS'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.