Author Topic: Hard Cases  (Read 400 times)

Offline joeb33050

• Trade Count: (0)
Hard Cases
« on: January 13, 2005, 01:51:35 AM »
I travel 100 miles to Miami to shoot each Wednesday, mostly on a motorcycle. For the past four years I've roped a rifle, in a soft case or blanket or hard case, to the bike. Hard cases are long and stick way out on either side of the bike; soft cases and the blanket method reduce the width. This week I got the brilliant idea of replacing the clothesline and granny knots with bungee cords exclusively. About 22 miles from home, in the dark, I discovered that the hard case, M54 Winchester, 20X STS and cleaning rod were no longer attached to the bike. While saying the appropriate words I turned around and started searching. Six miles back, on a bridge, I found the case and bungee cords, everything intact, on the side of the road. The case says "ProMax", "Protector" series, and Alex bought it for me at a gun show for $10. My trip to Miami and back gave me time to think, and I did, and I think that I'll never use a soft case to carry a rifle again-even when I'm taking a car. My soft cases would allow a dropped rifle to be damaged, I'll bet. But those cheap hard cases proved their worth to me yesterday.
joe b.         clothesline and granny knots from now on

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Hard cases
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 01:41:55 AM »
Hey joeb33050:
 I like that info, nothin wrong with softees, but I always felt uneasy bout em, always handled them very gently.  A $10 hard plastic case seems to protect against the worst hazzards to sports equipment, car doors and the junk in the trunk!
 This ain't a cast bullet question, I realize, but what is a good, or proper ...material...to line a hard gun case, if making a homemade case?
 I'll go over to the leatherworking forum to post this question also.
                                                                    Woodbutcher

Offline unclenick

Hard Cases
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 09:11:11 AM »
You probably should keep those softer alloy loads in a hard cartridge case.  Think what a drop on the blacktop does to a cardboard box, even if you aren't moving?  There.  I've made it a cast bullet issue for you.

Nick