Author Topic: need everyones opinion please!  (Read 919 times)

Offline madmikeray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
need everyones opinion please!
« on: January 05, 2005, 11:53:53 PM »
hey guys ,i would like to find a gun for my father that will be an all purpose gun. you see he has only owned 1 gun for 30 years and only fired it twice,and he handed it down to me last year. it is an old 16gauge columbia single shot shotgun. it was my great grandma's and it will go to my son.it still shoots well but i want to limit its shooting so it will last for my grandson 8) .but back to the subject, i want to get my dad 1 gun that he can use to go hunting with me be4 he gets to old. i hunt squirrels, rabbits and dear. all shots will be under 50 yards. he doesnt like recoil so im stuck between a mossberg 500 20gauge with extra slug barrell or 410 mossberg in the same way.what do u guys think i should get him?

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 03:17:38 AM »
How about a Mossberg 12 ga Ultimag. You can shoot 2 3/4" shells in it and with the porting it doesn't kick as bad as most 12ga pumps . Ask around. A fellow told me he has one and only shoots 2 3/4" shells in his and claimed it doesn't kick as bad as a 20ga.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:49:15 AM »
madmilkeray, How about a combo gun. 30/30 & 20ga. would be good. I believe savage made a few in this configeration.  Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:53:32 AM »
Another option is to get a H&R or NEF combo with two barrels. One 28 or 20 guage and say a 30-30.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 03:31:04 PM »
The 410  is an inadequate shell  for whitetails at any range. Buy the 20ga. Light loads are readily available for small game shooting and there are some quality slugs now available in 20ga.

A two barrel set would be best but a single barrel with choke tubes will work fine, especially if they have a rifled choke tube. If shots at deer will be under 50yds than the smooth bore will also shoot slugs accurate enough.

Offline persistentprogrammer

• Avid Poster
410, keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 12:15:29 PM »
I think the 410 is fine for deer, as long as your shooting good quality slugs, no buckshot. They claim that the 410 with slugs is similar to a .357 mag.

Offline madmikeray

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 07:24:51 PM »
hey guys ,thought id give u an update on what im getting him. i decided a mossberg 500 .20gauge with a extra slug barrell for deer, and a extra short barrel for home protection. the ultimate combo gun i think. what do u guys think  :wink:

Offline old06

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
I think the the 20ga Mossberg will handle all the hunting situations well. Now all you need to do is get him motivated he only shot the 16ga twice pick up a clay target thrower and a brick or two of shells and have some fun.  :)  :-D  :)  :-D  That all you need now. By the way I have a 12ga Mossberg 500 that I couldnt count the shells that went through it and still very tight gun, that gun will be enjoyed by his great grand children.  :D
Psalm 16

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 04:51:29 PM »
Shoulda went with Remington  :x .  :) . Just kidding. For the all around gun, that's not a bad decision. Hope it works out!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding