Author Topic: And ya dont think we need tort reform?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline big medicine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
And ya dont think we need tort reform?
« on: December 25, 2004, 04:13:24 PM »
My wife got me a tree seat for Christmas. One of the ones that is ment to be used at ground level. Staps on to the tree so you are not sitting on the ground. It is a nice seat, padded and swivels, should work well.

anyway, she tells me that she got a 20 minute lecture on this, that IT IS NOT A TREE STAND. IT IS MENT TO BE USED AT GROUND LEVEL WITH THE FEET TOUCHING THE GROUND. AND DID SHE UNDERSTAND THAT IT WAS NOT A TREE STAND. Then in the instructions it is mentioned quite a few times. I told her that people are stupid, they do stupid things, and them get to sue and get millions of dollars for it. It is sad we live in a time that the more stupid you are the richer you become because of law suites. They should be taken out and flogged, or heck just plain shot, so they dont spread their genes around, but no they get rewarded for being idiots. you WILL NEVER be able to protect stupid people from them selves, but they sure as heck should not hit the jack pot for being idiots!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 05:26:20 PM »
Hear the one about the under age girl who tried to sneak into a night club threw the ladies room window?  Seems this girl got turned away at the door when her bogus ID didn't pass muster so she and her girlfriends devised a plan. One of her chums, who evidently was old enough to get into the club, opened the ladies room window for this ditz to climb threw.  Only trouble was she promptly fell on her face while attempting to do so breaking her snoz and knocking out her front teeth.  You guessed it she promptly sued the club and a jury of 12 idiots awarded her a big fat settlement.

Or how about the bean bag that cut threw a locked gate to gain access to a mining company's property , then attempted to cut his way into a tool shed with a chain saw so that he could help himself to whatever he could find?  It looked like he was about to hit paydirt until he hit an electrical wire in the wall of the shed instead and fried himself.  His darling widow sued the mining company and guess what? Yep, 12 more idiots awarded the Mrs a big fat settlement.

And one of the most famous examples of all, The dumb broad who tucked her hot coffee between her legs at the Mc Donalds drive threw window then par boiled her privates when she drove over the speed bump on her way out of the parking lot. Yes, we have another winner!  That's why coffee cup from a fast food restaurant in the U.S. has a warning printed on it today.

These are just a few examples of the asinine suits that I've heard about.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
And you don't think we need tort reform.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 07:08:50 PM »
Hey Brett, What's a (we're not going there. GB)? Is that one end of a block and tackle? If you live in the right place you don't have to depend on the media to let you know about frivolous lawsuits. About 25 years ago, we got to watch a local one. A family that lives 1/4 mile from the City limits of the small town I live in, had purchased a Maytag washing machine right after WW II, when they became available after the war effort. It was the dasher/wringer type of course. People who were close to them said that around 1950, something went haywire in the gear box so that the wringer ran all the time. There were parts available, but as it worked fine, they never did fix it. They raised a large family with no problems, but by 1980, or there abouts, all the kids were gone and had families of their own. One of the younger kids stopped to visit with his wife and 3 year old. The 3 year old went to sleep on the daven, and Grandma had a load of clothes going in the machine. The adults walked out to look at the garden which was a good distance from the house. they were out there for about 1/2 hour, and while going back to the house, as they got closer, they could hear the child screaming. He had woke up, got a chair, and had gotten his arm in the wringer, clear up to the armpit. He had been caught for quite a while, because the flesh was completely stripped to his elbow. The doctors were able to save the arm, but instead of being charged with neglect, or endangerment or something, they filed a suit against Maytag, who settled out of court for a big pile of money. The machine was about 35 years old,it had been broken for 30 years, and repair parts were still available in 1980, but Maytag settled because of the way juries seem to find in favor of the little guy instead of companies. I never heard if they used some of the loot to get a new machine or not. maybe they are still using the same one.   Cowpox
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 12:30:05 AM »
Juries are the real culprit. We are, as a people, greedy and blind.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 03:28:11 AM »
Thats right William.
We moan & groan about this but its people, in the form of juries that make it all possible. While some of us have morals & will take the hand that God gives us & be happy to build from that, theres alot of people who wish to turn a tragedy into fortune.
It is the lawyers to some extent as well on account of the way some of them push people into seeking damages for every concievable accident you can imagine.
This problem goes from the top to the bottom & seems to be in the very fabric of our society at this time.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 04:12:33 AM »
Some lawsuits I can understand, like the hospital in Florida that amputated the wrong leg on a man. Most of these lawsuits are pure bunk. The juries have the little guy vs. the big corporate bully. How about the lawnmowers warning to keep hands and feet from under the deck. Duh! It seems we have become a nation of educated idiots with no common sense. BE CAREFUL AND DON'T FALL OFF YOUR LADDER. MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. ELECTROCUTION DANGER! :-D  :)  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 04:43:57 AM »
BE CAREFUL AND DON'T FALL OFF YOUR LADDER. MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Dang right it can and hurts like hell. :eek:  Been there done that. :oops:  May never be the same from it. My dang arthritic left knee hit concret HARD. Short of surgery I doubt it's ever gonna be right again. My punkin head hit the arm of the wood kitchen chair I used in those days as my reloading chair. Broke the chair completely down. Had to toss it. Nope didn't do my head any good either. My neck hasn't been right since but since I have degenerative arthritis there it likely wouldn't be anyway.

About the only good thing that came of it was they found out I had high blood pressure and got me on medication to control it. I sure never felt it was anyone's fault but the old fat boy that stepped off the ladder into thin air about half way down. Why I did that I have no clue but to this day I still recall doing just that. Some how on the way to the floor I made a full 180 turn and hit facing away from ladder not toward it. Not a fun experience. But certainly not one to sue someone over either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 05:09:36 AM »
I know what you are talking about GB. :-D  :) About 1974 I was on top of the house working on putting up a CB antenna. Had an old 12ft. wooden ladder with the round wooden rungs on it. When I got done I started back down and when I put my full weight on the sixth rung from the bottom I heard a loud crack. When I came too my ex-wife was laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes. I had taken out the other five rungs with my butt on the way down. Couldn't hardly sit or walk for a week. :-D  :) Guess I shoulda sued the ladder maker for my stupidty but couldn't find who or where the ladder was made. Also it couldn't be because i weighed 300 lbs. :-D  :)  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Brett

Re: And you don't think we need tort reform.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 06:58:53 AM »
Quote from: Cowpox
Hey Brett, What's a (we're not going there. GB)? Is that one end of a block and tackle?

Sorry GB didn't think that word was considered offensive. Please except my apologies.  I've edited the original post to read 'privates', hope this is okay.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: And you don't think we need tort reform.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 03:04:28 AM »
Quote from: Cowpox
The machine was about 35 years old,it had been broken for 30 years, and repair parts were still available in 1980, but Maytag settled because of the way juries seem to find in favor of the little guy instead of companies. I never heard if they used some of the loot to get a new machine or not.
:cry:  :oops:  :(
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 06:24:12 AM »
guess the bottom line is: It pays to be stupid in America :cry:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 07:48:04 AM »
Quote from: big medicine
guess the bottom line is: It pays to be stupid in America
Unfortunately, U.S.A. take excellent care of the ignorant and greedy, say Dali Llama. :(  :cry:  :oops:

Offline Brett

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 11:01:35 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Unfortunately, U.S.A. take excellent care of the ignorant and greedy, say Dali Llama. :(  :cry:  :oops:

And let's not forget the lazy as well. :(

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 04:34:44 PM »
Quote from: Brett
Quote from: Dali Llama

And let's not forget the lazy as well. :(
Excellent additional category, say Dali Llama. :D

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 06:28:30 PM »
Part of the problem is stupid jurors. Lawyers can shop around for dumb jurors, and prefer them. I think there are secret lists of people who are too independently minded to make it to a jury. Some medical lawsuits against drug companies are always tried in the same small backwater towns, with a tried and true reliable history for returning huge damage claims.
When was the last time anyone on this forum was called to be on a jury for damages? I never have been.
If we take the profit of the lawyers out of it, they won't be so apt to do it. BTW our VP Demo candidate got his big bucks with a damages lawsuit.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 11:55:34 PM »
I've set on ONE jury in my entire life. Used to be called pretty regularly but after that one time sitting on that one I've not even been called to go down again since. Reckon someone must not have liked the way I looked at things. It's been well over 20 years since I even got a summons.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 01:12:36 AM »
Quote from: Greybeard
I've set on ONE jury in my entire life. Used to be called pretty regularly but after that one time sitting on that one I've not even been called to go down again since. Reckon someone must not have liked the way I looked at things. It's been well over 20 years since I even got a summons.
Dali Llama say he called several times, but always be struck by plaintiff's attorney.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 04:15:23 AM »
Remember the old phrase..." Ignarance is bliss! ?....guess we know now where it came from, when someone is especially ignorant...and an even more ignorant jury places him in financial bliss!...

I only wonder how, if it takes a unanimous decision to award....how do they find juries where 12 people are STUPID enough to toe the dumbo line, ....or doesn't such an award require unanimity ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 01:54:13 PM »
Quote from: ironglow
  I only wonder how, if it takes a unanimous decision to award....how do they find juries where 12 people are STUPID enough to toe the dumbo line, ....or doesn't such an award require unanimity ?
Dali Llama inquire do ironglow not think there are 12 such people in, for example, New York City? :?

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 07:47:31 AM »
Ironglow,
I may well be mistaken but I believe that in civil cases as oposed to criminal ones its only necessary to gain a majority rather than a unanimous decision. Thats why guys like OJ can be found not guilty in criminal court but liable in a civil court. At least thats my understanding, the burden of proof is less in civil cases.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 01:28:49 AM »
Quote from: Leverdude
guys like OJ can be found not guilty
:twisted:  :twisted:  :evil:  :x

Offline BamBams

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 03:20:03 AM »
I know of a guy in New York that probably wakes up every morning and thinks, "Who am I gonna sue today?"  In fact, he doesn't even hire an attorney anymore, he just files everything pro se.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Brett

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 03:59:37 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
I know of a guy in New York that probably wakes up every morning and thinks, "Who am I gonna sue today?"  In fact, he doesn't even hire an attorney anymore, he just files everything pro se.

People like him are nothing but leaches that cost all of us money! :evil: They cause higher insurance premiums, higher product costs, higher taxes (to pay for the courts & judges), cause more idiotic laws and regulations to be placed on us, shut down businesses and put people out of work.  Next time you talk to him ask him if he knows what his nuisance law suits cost all of us and tell him to get a real job and become a useful and productive member of society for me will ya.  :excuseme:  :D

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 08:29:05 AM »
Quote from: Brett
Quote from: BamBams

Next time you talk to him ask him if he knows what his nuisance law suits cost all of us and tell him to get a real job and become a useful and productive member of society for me will ya.  :excuseme:  :D
:yeah: