Author Topic: Seeking suppliers of TIN and other bullet metals  (Read 634 times)

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Seeking suppliers of TIN and other bullet metals
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:20:12 PM »
:D Hey there casters,

This information is probably already listed somewhere in the postings, but howabout a rerun.

I am seeking a source of pure tin, but figure those sources will also have the other metals we use, so any word will be helpful.

Thanks and keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline jh45gun

Seeking suppliers of TIN and other bullet m
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 06:30:04 PM »
Metal scrap yards may have tin from old refrigeration coils ect. Same goes now for the places that recyle those products. IF you do a search I bet places will show up for buying tin on the net. Just do one for metal dealers. 50/50 solder half tin half lead is available at plumbing shops and maybe some hardware stores. I just use wheel weights for my casting and pure lead for my muzzle loaders. If you look around your area you can find these metals cheaper than buying from a metal dealer and not have to pay shipping either. So unless you want pure tin and do not mind paying for it dearly I would check the scrapyards ect or buy the 50/50 solder which is what a lot of guys use as a little tin goes a long way. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 03:27:21 AM »
Try The Antimony Man  http://www.theantimonyman.com/price.htm  not as cheap as scrap, but he has everything.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 01:39:33 PM »
:D Hey there Jim & rbwillnj,

Thanks for the info.

I'll give a bit more info on the needs, for your info and anyone else that may log in.

The metal is not for me, if I was able to shoot up the WW and lino I have on hand, I would get to shoot more then I expect to in my life time.

The info is for someone who is precise to the extreme, and one not likely to be using scrap metals unless he can be very sure of the content.

I am passing the info through a friend to his brother.  I know my friend to also be a persision type person, but Doug indicated his brother is over the top in that respect. VERY controlled in his casting and what he uses for metal.

Anyway, I passed along info I already had, and will pass on your comments and hope for more.

Thanks and keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 10:42:11 AM »
With regards to your friend being very precise...

Usually guys get into bullet casting so:
1.  they can shoot more with less cost
2. they can be an active part in the creation of the reloads (more so than usual)
3. they can meet a set of rules for a discipline of shooting.

With regards to the above, I am a 1,2,3.  
That said,  I am persnickety guy as well.   :? My advice to your friend would be to go to your local plumbing shop and buy 50/50 bar solder and the lead cupcakes that they sell called "plumber's lead".  If your shop is worth it's salt, they can come up with the documentation regarding the material content (not the MSD sheets) of the products that the vendor/supplier has sold them.  This will convince your friend of the consistancy of the product.  The price of the tin will be about $4 for a half pound (i.e. 1lb stick of 50/50) compared to about $15-$20 for a pound of pure tin.  This will help make sure your friend can buy powder and primers, and be a 1,2,3, like the rest of us.   :D
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 01:53:39 PM »
:D Hey there Awf Hand.

Thanks for the come back.

In regards to my friend's brother, I am sure he has followed all the typical routes such as those you have suggested.

This is a very technical fellow, employed in the medical field of Cat Scan or MRI tech.

He and his wife have their own indoor range which is able to handle large rifle loads, regularly teach multi-lesson NRA courses using the range, and they go through large amounts of ammo.

Not personally knowing him, I am not sure just what his goal is. However, I do know that he casts and loads for rifle rounds such as the 375 and 416 and it sounds like this is where he is using the tin.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline Capt. Call

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 02:50:59 PM »
I hate rude behavior in a Man. I won't tolerate it.

Offline unclenick

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 10:48:21 AM »
Darrell,

Unless your friend can tolerate absolutely no Antimony, skip the 50/50 solder and buy the 95:5 Tin:Antimony lead-free solder for about 30% more.  The pure lead is much less than solder, so by the time you're done mixing down to 5% or 10% tin, this is cheaper.  Just be careful you don't get one of the funny lead free alloys with copper or bismuth or nickel.  I don't know what they will do?  I've put a question in to Veral about it.

Nick