Author Topic: Got my elk tag!  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Hud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
Got my elk tag!
« on: March 02, 2003, 06:28:01 AM »
My son, Brad and I just recieved our Wyoming elk tags in the mail today.
Past year chances have been around 12% for this area. Anyway I'm kinda excited. We have hunted this area several time before for mule deer and have always seen a lot of elk. Some nice ones too.

Now we have to get some of our buddies together to apply for deer so that we can split down the cost of the trip. When 5 or 6 guys go it cuts down the cost of the trip to about $300 plus tags.  This year with the gas prices up it may be a little more.

I am going to have to get back in shape and drop about 20 or 25 pounds.
Last time I went out too heavy (205) and paid for it trying to keep up with Brad.

I'm also going to have to put off some of my "gun wants" as I really do need a new saddle for, Sota, my mule.  She needs one that fits her a little better than the one I'm using on her now.

I hope to take an elk with my 480 Ruger, but am bringing my Rem 30-06 to use the last few days if I don't get a close shot the first few days.

I may have to work up some new loads for my 30-06 as this is my first elk hunt and I am not sure that my 165 gr Sierra load is the best choice for the task. It has always worked well on deer.

Brad has always used his 8x57 mauser or one of my 06s. Now he has the hankering for a Savage, Weather Warrior, in 300 Ultramag.  He dosn't have a problem with recoil and he doesn't mind carring the extra weight.

Hud  :grin:
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Got my elk tag!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 03:12:42 PM »
Congrats.  Sounds like a rare opportunity in your area. :grin:
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
Got my elk tag!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 04:52:01 PM »
We'll be hunting in the Bighorns.  Yes, certified weed free hay is a must. I have to make a few phone calls to get that lined up.

Also proof of ownership of my mules is a big deal.  In Minnesota we have no brands or proof of ownership of mules and horses.

I have to get a brand inspection when I get out there. They don't need to be branded, just inspected for them. I get a lifetime brand certificate when I get out there, but first I have to prove to Wyoming that my mules belong to me. I have been on the phone to several Wyoming brand inspectors, the Wyoming Livestock board, Wyoming game wardens, Wyoming extension service, Minnesota extension service, Mn Dept of Ag, and the MN board of Animal Health.

It seems I must be the first person from Minnesota to take a mule or horse to Wyoming and back!  I'm sure I'm not ,but it seems like it for the obscure answers I'm getting.  Oh well, part of the game I guess.

Click on the web page button, by my signature line, I have a few pictures of our plywood tent and past camps and a few deer pictures amongst a bunch of other pictures.

The 180 grain Nosler sounds like it would probably be the best bet, though there are a lot of good bullets to choose from now days.  I do load Nosler partitions for my wifes 6MM.   So Nosler is the way I will go, I'm thinkin'.

I have always used Sierras in my 30-06 cause they are so accurate, penetrate, and expand pretty well too. You can thread a bullet through the brush, branches, and trees to get your deer when you know exactly where the bullets going.  But this I kinda a hunt of a lifetime for me, so I want to put all the odds in my favor that I can. And as I won't be hunting in the thick woods of home, I'll go Nosler.

Hope to take him with my 480 Blackhawk though. I got a photo of it on my picture site too.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.