Author Topic: 20 gage Tracker and Sight upgrade qestion  (Read 581 times)

Offline naedlaen

• Trade Count: (0)
20 gage Tracker and Sight upgrade qestion
« on: January 18, 2005, 05:25:59 AM »
I recently purchased a 20 gage Tracker to use for Iowa’s deer season.  Serial number is NH and it is the 1994-1995 Whitetails Unlimited Collectors Edition.  This amounts to a fairly nice hardwood butt stock with an inset medallion and engraving on the right side of the receiver.  

I put 5 Remington Sluggers through it yesterday.  Our lovely Iowa weather was all of 3 or 4 above.  So I fired 2 offhand at 25 yards to see if the sights were close and then 1 at 50 yards.  Tipped a piece of firewood over all three times.  Then I knelt and managed to miss twice from fifty.  Go figure.

My wife has talked about deer hunting for the past two seasons.  She had to work both weekends this year, so we decided to wait another year.  She told me that she did not want me to buy her anything special.  She fired some slugs through my 20 gage Browning BPS last year, and had the frozen milk jugs been a deer, it would have ended up at the locker.  She said “I told you not to get a gun just for me.”  But once I had her shoulder the Tracker and then the BPS, she said “This is nicer to handle than the BPS.”  The sights and the shorter length and lighter weight should make a much better choice for her than the BPS.

She has not been out to shot it yet, but I am wondering what those of you who use the open sights on the Tracker and Tracker II think about picking them up quickly.  Have any of you added paint to the sights?  The rear blade does not appear to be easily changed to a fiber optic type of sight.

Thanks for the input on the sights.

Neal

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
20 gage Tracker and Sight upgrade qestion
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 08:31:02 AM »
:D When I first got my Tracker II I had similar questions about the sights. I did know that I did not want to carry an UltraSlug   :?  (UltraLug!) around anymore. The 1st deer I got with the open sightec Tracker II was this year, and I found the sights to be extremely fast.....read my post
here:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=47540&highlight=
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!