Author Topic: Leupold VariX II versus VariXIII worth the price difference?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline wildman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold VariX II versus VariXIII worth the price difference?
« on: February 01, 2003, 05:26:34 AM »
Seeing as how the old 'budget' won't allow me to buy a shiner off of the dealers shelf, I've been looking at some used Leupolds.  Of particular interest are the VAriX II 2-7, and VariXIII 2.5-8.  I'm looking for a scope to serve dual duty in relatively close cover and distances to 250 yards or so on a Browning BAR 30-06.  In the used sector, is the VariXIII worth the $100 more that most are asking?  Most retail them for $180 difference, and wholesale is about $130 difference.  Can pick up a used one of either and save around $70 +/- off of new wholesale price.  Some say to just fork over another $70 and get a new one.  Well, sometimes I like something that is broke in a little, as it allows me to hunt with it, without fear of putting a little scratch on something.  I just never have had use for hunting gear that was too nice to use.  In the stores, the VarixIII looks to be built better, but it's hard for me to see any difference in looking through it in the store.  Now if I had them to test at dawn, broad daylight, and dusk in the field, there might be a noticeable difference there.  Anyone having experience with both or either of these scopes please feel free to comment.
The intruder turns around slowly, sees both barrels, and hears a low-deep voice say "Son, the left one's iron and the right one's steel, if the left one don't get you, the right one will"

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Leupold VariX II versus VariXIII worth the
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 02:25:42 PM »
I would say, Yes.  The Var-X III has better glass and multicoat-4 coating along with the added advantage of 1/4 click windage and elevation.  It is well worth the extra money.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 04:52:46 PM »
YES.

It simply is a much better scope and worth the extra money.  

Zachary

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 04:56:11 AM »
RD,

Thank you.  I try my hardest to keep up with the boards that I am a sponsor on, which is 3 of them.  I am not only here to get some business, but to assist our customers any way I can.  Yes, we are a small business, but hopefully someday move up with the big league.   Again, I appreciate the kind words.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!