Author Topic: Small hunting cabin plans....  (Read 2714 times)

Offline redneckd1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Small hunting cabin plans....
« on: February 01, 2005, 09:24:46 AM »
Anybody have detailed plans for a small hunting cabin(shed)?
I have been staying in a small pop-up camper, but I'm out-growing it and hate the condensation that develops in it. I've been looking at some stuff on line, but haven't really found what I'm looking for.
I need to build something VERY economical as funds are always an issue, the one cabin I found a materials lists for added up to over $1200 and that was just the shell!!
I think I've settled on 10x14 as the smallest, and there isn't any power or water on the property, so I have been trying to come up with some innovative ideas about all propane powered (lights, cooking, heat, etc..) and maybe some way of rigging a water storage deal to include a shower of some sort (a guy gets ripe after a week without a shower!!)
Any ideas or websites will be greatly appreciated.
Thx,
R
Cheers,
R

I'm not broken, but you can see the cracks :eek:

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 09:44:24 AM »
What does a shed from lowes cost?

maybe these guys

http://www.americansteelspan.com/

maybe a Yurt

http://www.yurts.com/

I don't know if these meet your price range... but perhaps it'll give you a jumping off point.

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:32:05 AM »
If you have any trees available a log structure can be pretty cheap.  Find old windows and doors, some scrap lumber and about all you are in for is nails and roofing.  I've constructed a cabin out of aspen using the scandinavian chinkless log building method.  Slap on a bunch of Thompson's Water Seal every once and a while and it will last many years.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 12:01:18 PM »
You could probably find a decent Trailer camper with the heat/light system set up.  

Or, if your pop-up trailer is already set up with the propane heating/light system try retrofitting it to your cabin idea maybe?  My friend took an old trailer camper and rebuilt it using the system out of a tent trailer (the pop-ups).  He insulated it and has used it to sleep out during the annual ice fishing derby up here.  Very warm he says.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 05:50:33 PM »
I've been mulling a small cabin to put on my rural property for several years and made several complete plans for 16x16, 12x24, 16x24, and they all come out to about $25 a square foot at retail for materials. Add some more for labor (either your own or someone else's) and you're looking at close to or over $6K for just the 16x16. That is with electric wiring and plumbing to code, insulation, and complete interior finish except for floor covering.

I've found that there are a lot of decent travel trailers out there in the $3K-5K price range that have little less space, but everything is already built and best of all, mobile, so if I ever decide I don't want it or want it somewhere else it can travel. There are also half decent older mobile homes for the same price, which of course you must pay to have moved, but have the already-built and mobile advantage as above. Haven't made the final decision yet, but I think it's going to be a trailer.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »
I don't have a great deal over $6000 in my barn. It's 20'x36' on a 22'x38' concrete pad I paid to have poured and finished. It has metal roof and a 12'x20' storage loft that would make a great sleeping loft as well. It's wired to code but I've not yet insulated or added the remainder of inside paneling. Front is finished and has a 10'x10 roll up door and 36" personnel door in place.

I'd bet I could put up a 10'x14' as the original poster asked about for $1500 without the concrete pad but otherwise complete easily down here.

I've seen buildings in that size range made using the landscaping timbers sold at building supply places. Looks nearly like a log cabin with the rounded edges out and should give decent insulation just from thickness of wood. Just takes a little imagination to come up with something that will work. If I had a place that needed one I'm sure I could do one that size for $1500 or less.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 02:27:58 AM »
How about a pre-fab garage kit?  You may be able to trade a large window for garage door.

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 04:25:32 AM »
Thx guys, there are lots of answers to my question, if I had 5-6k to spend.
Those Yurts were cool, but a quick price check and over 5k.
Our land belongs to a timber company, don't think they would appreciate me cutting down that many trees, and wouldn't know how to build a log cabin from scratch.
The pre-fab stuff that I have seen usually has 6ft high walls, I wanted ~8ft walls so that the guy(my son) in the upper bunk could actually sit up.
I've looked for campers, seems most people think they are worth their weight in gold, I always do keep my eyes open for a deal since that is the simplest solution.
 My pop-up would probably sell for $500-1000, so that would be my base budget. If I could build a dried in shell for that money, I could pretty it up and make it more plush (wiring, plumbing etc...) over time.
I've seen some web sites for homes that are 'off-the-grid', there are some great ideas, but everything seems a bit too expensive for a hunting cabin.
Thx again guys,
R
Cheers,
R

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 06:45:31 AM »
Establish a foundation using 12" concrete blocks. Corners plus one in middle at front and back and perhaps two more on sides. Add a couple in the middle to correspond to the ones on outside.

Now build a frame work using PT lumber. Can be 4x4, 4x6 or 6x6 as you chose. Put an extra of same size down the center on those extra blocks. Floor it with either PT 3/4" plywood or other as you chose. Frame it up and use barn siding from Lowe's on outside. Add insulation and cheap interior siding and roof it. Easily under $1500. Windows and doors can often be found used at surplus places if you want to look around and save a few bucks but a good steel 36" door can almost always be had new for not much over $100 at building suppy stores.

No way this has to be an expensive proposition in that size range.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 07:28:52 AM »
Quote from: redneckd1

The pre-fab stuff that I have seen usually has 6ft high walls, I wanted ~8ft walls so that the guy(my son) in the upper bunk could actually sit up.
R

Why not build a 2ft high cinderblock foundation wall to place the pre-fab on?  That'll give you 8ft

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 09:21:01 AM »
Thx GB, that is probably what I'll do, seems the most simple and cost effective way to do it. I already have several concrete blocks under my camper and the pallet deck out in front of it, so I can start with those.
Looks like there really aren't any short cuts, just have to bite the bullet and build it!
iiibbb, I had thought of that (2ft extention under a pre-fab) but I would end up spending as much as if I just built the cabin from scratch and it probably wouldn't be as sturdy.
Thx again,
R
Cheers,
R

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 07:50:42 PM »
Maybe check the local want ads, talk to people.  I know several folks that have used old garages and out bldg. that were free for the moving.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Rwalter63

Here is a web site you should check out.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 03:52:57 AM »
Hello,

I to am looking at building a small cabin on my property. Though my budget sounds like its a little more than yours. Here is a website that you can get some great ideas from. One way you could possibly build a 8x10 or 10x12 cabin for a real reasonable price is to check out for recycled lumber, or some lumber yards sell weathered lumber. There is one lumber yard near me that sells the weathered lumber. They have stacks and stacks of older lumber that most of it is in pretty good shape. You can get the lumber for almost 1/3 off the regular prices. Check the curb on your local garbage day some times people are throwing away old windows which you could use. I built and 8x8 shed this last year for around $220, using recyled PT 4x4's as the foundation. Recycled PT 2x6's as the floor joists, and weathered 2x4's for the walls and rafters. I had some scrap 3/4" plywood left from another project that I used on the floor. I used some more scrap 1/2" OSB for the roof deck and some close out fiberglass shingles. I put in a 4x8 inch loft using a 3/4" OSB. for the outer walls I used 3/8" T-111. If I find a picture I'll post it.

Anyways check out this site.

http://www.countryplans.com/

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 04:10:52 AM »
Thx SGTT that is what started this whole idea, I saw an ad for a 12x14 yard building for $500, I went to check it out and although it needed some repairs, like the hole in the roof, it would have made a great cabin. I would just have to figure out how to move it 100 miles!!!! That made me think it would be easier to build one myself. Easier to trailer up a stack of wood and a 12x14 building!!!!

Rwalter63 I hadn't thought about weathered lumber, I'll check around the local lumber yards to see what they have. I don't need pretty wood, just functional. Is the weathered wood usually warped? That could make it hard to square things up wouldn't it?

Thx again guys, this forum is a wealth of information!!!
R
Cheers,
R