Author Topic: Corned Venison!  (Read 759 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Corned Venison!
« on: January 14, 2005, 06:25:29 PM »
House smells good tonite like pickling spice got some corned Venison on cooking. Just took it out of the brine and now cooking it before I freeze it. I had a couple of loins I found in the freezer tucked away out of a Buck that was given to me last year that I forgot I had. I ate up the rest of the buck except for these. SO since it was getting to the point of that being in the freezer for a year bit I decided to corn it. I like to corn Venison and it is easy to do. Taste good also. IF you got some getting old frozen venison it is a good way to use it up. Just trim the outside of the meat to trim away any surface of the meat that can get that way from being in the freezer a bit long and corn it. Turns out great and no wasted meat. This year I wrapped my meat in plastic wrap then shrink wrapped it and then paper wrapped it so it should last better than what I did last year. Normally I wrap it in plastic wrap and then paper wrap it. I usually wrap it in larger pieces also it does not dry out that way as smaller pieces do. Though this year I made the pieces smaller as they were wrapped 3 times. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

Corned Venison!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 07:28:53 PM »
Just had a sample pretty darned tasty if I don't say so my self!     :)  :)  :)

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Corned Venison!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 07:46:07 PM »
Okay, so now that you have us all hungry where's the recipe? :grin:
Best,
TnNuc

Offline BamBams

Corned Venison!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 09:12:04 PM »
This is just NOT fair!  A low blow.  A cheap shot!   You're lucky you live so far away!  I'd be knocking on your door tonight for a hand out!  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Graybeard, I think you need to make a rule about people who do this sort of thing to us!  Seriously.  :)
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline deb

Corned Venison!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:42:02 AM »
Quote from: TennesseeNuc
Okay, so now that you have us all hungry where's the recipe? :grin:

Yes, how about the recipe?????  Pretty please!!!    :grin:

Deb   :-)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Corned Venison!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 03:41:04 AM »
Yeah... now that you have us all drooling all over our keyboards how about that recipe?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jh45gun

Corned Venison!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 08:31:30 AM »
Found this one on the web from Cabela's and is what I use, pretty much straight forward. If you have more meat just double it or triple it ect. There are other variations but most are the same a salt brine with nitrates added which is what the Tenderquick does. I like this one with the half salt half tenderquick mixture. When I boil mine I add fresh pickling spice about a heaping table spoon. I added notes as how I do it in ( ) Tenderquick is made by Mortons salt co. and can be found at the grocery store where the spices and salt is.

Corned Venison by Cabela's Staff
Ingredients

2 to 3-pound brisket, flank, or shoulder roast up to 1 inch thick ( any cut of Venison will do and you do not have to tie it) ( For thicker just keep in the brine longer thick pieces about 2 weeks smaller pieces a week)
2 quarts spring water or distilled water  ( I just use tap water)
1/2 cup canning and pickling salt
1/2 cup tenderizing salt (e.g. Morton's Tenderquick®)
3 tablespoons sugar  ( I use brown sugar and use about a quarter cup)
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
2 bay leaves
8 whole black peppercorns
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directions:  Roll brisket or flank loosely and tie. Place in large glass or pottery mixing bowl, or in large oven cooking bag. In glass or enamel saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just to boiling. Remove from heat; cool. Pour cooled brine over meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; or, if using oven cooking bag, squeeze to remove air, then twist neck of bag and seal. Refrigerate 4 to 5 days ( I do it about 7 days to make sure the meat is brined all the way through)   turning meat occasionally. Drain. Rinse meat with cold water.

To prepare corned meat, place in Dutch oven. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling; drain. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until tender, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. ( first boiling takes some of the salt out of the meat)

Note if you followed the recipe and did not add the pickling spice and after it was corned you smoked it you would have smoked Venison kinda like Ham which is not all bad either. :)

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Corned Venison!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 07:05:27 PM »
jh,
Thanks for the info.  I never would have thought about corned venison, but it sounds good.  I WILL try this.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline jh45gun

Corned Venison!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 11:26:38 AM »
Quote from: TennesseeNuc
jh,
Thanks for the info.  I never would have thought about corned venison, but it sounds good.  I WILL try this.
Best,
TnNuc

Bet you will like it!  :grin:

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Corned Venison!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 05:50:14 PM »
jh,
Got some in the frig soaking tonight.  Couldn't locate any Morton's Tenderquick so I substituted it with canning salt.  I hope it works.  I guess I'll know in about a week.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline jh45gun

Corned Venison!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 06:00:01 PM »
TennNuc, The nitrates in the Tenderquick add the RED color you see in Ham or Corned Beef or Sausage and Bacon. It also acts as a preservative IF your local store does not have any Tenderquick go to the drugstore and buy some Saltpeter or other wise known as Potassium Nitrate. If they do not have saltpeter on the shelf just ask the druggist he will have some. Yep the same stuff in Black powder.  :)  This has been used for years. Buy that and add a table spoon to your brine and that should take care of it. The saltpeter is safe to use and has been used for making sausage and ham and other processed meats for ages and is one of the ingredients in the Tenderquick. The Tenderquick is just a easier way to use it as it has salt and sugar ect added. Salt will cure the meat but may not give it the red color you usually see.

Offline Dali Llama

Corned Venison!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 07:52:27 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
IF your local store does not have any Tenderquick go to the drugstore and buy some Saltpeter
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_221.html

http://www.snopes.com/military/saltpetr.htm
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Corned Venison!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 03:37:04 PM »
jh,
Tried the drugstores...none.  That's why I used just salt.  I guess most of the drugstores are like most other stores now, everything is pre-made.  That way they just have to count em.  It's been 48 hrs. now and the color is still red.  It won't matter anyhow, because as soon as it's out of the bag it's gonna get cooked and eaten. :grin:
Best,
TnNuc

Offline jh45gun

Corned Venison!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 03:43:20 PM »
TENNUC, I would think in TENN you could buy nitrates to cure sausage ect? Ask your local butcher he must have some or have them order you some Tenderquick as it is made by Mortons the folks who make the salt for canning and table. Jim

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Corned Venison!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 03:56:44 PM »
jh,
I think the farmers co-op in the county next to ours carries it , but I fixed this late Saturday afternoon and they were already closed.  It won't last long enough to need preserving.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline jh45gun

Corned Venison!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 04:02:05 PM »
True be a good idea for next time though. I have used it for years so I am not sure if the salt alone will give the meat the red color or not but if it does not you can always get some for next time.  :grin: