Author Topic: 1861 remington pocket .31  (Read 835 times)

Offline willysjeep134

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
1861 remington pocket .31
« on: January 17, 2005, 06:22:45 PM »
I just found a sweet deal on one of those remington .31 pocket revolvers. They're only $120 some odd dollars. It is the brass frame version, which I have been told is period correct.

I was thinking that if it shot well, say 4" at 20 yards, I might be able to use it on rabbits or squirrel. Sort of like a .22 kit gun, only in cap and ball.

I have a few questions now. First, do you think a .33 OO buckshot would be too big of a ball for this revolver. I have a box of them laying around, and if i could get by with them it would save some time and cash.

Second, what powder charge and what granulation is recomended for .31 pocket guns?

Third, what type of velocity do you think I might expect from such a gun, and how much power.

Anyways, I think even this purchase might be a few weeks off. For now I can just sit here and dream about it.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 05:09:07 AM »
.33 might be a little hard on the rammer. This is a weak point in the Remington design as the link is a very light stamping held in position with small diameter pins. I use .321 balls over 12 grains of fffg. Probably get around 700 f.p.s. give or take a little. Accuracy is about 3" groups at 20
yards. The grip is very small on these--I find Colts much more user
friendly and the rammer is much more rugged.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline R.M.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 06:05:24 AM »
willysjeep134

I bought the Better Half one for Christmas. After about 100 shots, the lever broke out at the pivot hole.
I bought a Letter "P" reamer and reamed the cylinder out (.323") and use the .330" balls (OO Buck) as the groove diameter is .326".
I can't say what size groups she's getting, but I do know it shoots about a  foot high at 50 feet. We're getting a loading stand for it so she can load the cylinder on the bench and not use the lever.
12 grains is about all you can get in it if you use a wad. I make my own from 1/16" felt. Takes up less room.
It's a fun little gun, but not a regular shooter.

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 08:19:53 PM »
Regarding "period correct," in 2001 I examined a Remington .31-caliber pocket revolver whose frame was steel. This was not a Beals.

Something unusual for me, too, was its cylinder was two pieces. It appeared to have a rear piece that functioned??? as a cover or retainer for caps.

The only other revolvers on which I've seen anything like that are British cartridge revolvers circa 1860s–1870s that, I think, were used by army officers in colonial wars. First generation cartridge ammunition was not well made, and sealing ammo within cylinders improved reliability of THAT CYLINDERFUL of shots. I imagine reloading was iffy.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell