Author Topic: Glock or revolver?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

• Trade Count: (0)
Glock or revolver?
« on: December 28, 2004, 05:23:51 PM »
I have a question that keeps burning at the backside of my brain bucket.  Would an ultralite-type of revolver in .357 be a better carry choice than my Glock 36?  I don't have any carry issues with my 36, as it conceals for me very well.  I also own a Taurus 65 that I enjoy shooting just as much as the 36.  I just don't like the additional weight of the wheel gun as compared to the 36, that's why I am asking about a titanium type of revovler.  I don't really think that speedloader vs. magazine will be that much of a problem, as I don't live in an area with high population/crime rates.  The first shot is the most important....

Or am I just going through "new gun" withdrawl? :wink:

And there is one other restriction:   only .357/.38 revovlers will do...no .44's, ect.
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
Glock or revolver?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 09:19:19 PM »
I don't see either one being "better".  It would depend on the user at the end.  Of course a light weight .357 will have more snap and take longer to get back on target.  It also will have more muzzle flash.  They are both great guns, heck have both, practice with both and then decide on wich one to carry  :lol:
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

Glock or revolver?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 04:04:42 AM »
Quote from: TScottW99
I don't see either one being "better".  It would depend on the user at the end.  Of course a light weight .357 will have more snap and take longer to get back on target.  It also will have more muzzle flash.  They are both great guns, heck have both, practice with both and then decide on wich one to carry  :lol:

Don't say "I told me so!" :)   I've just been wanting another .357 wheelgun since before I bought the 36.  I WAS trying to choose which revovler I was going to get, then I picked up this darned 36 in a gunshop...guess what came home with me that very hour :twisted:

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

Glock or revolver?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 08:33:44 PM »
Like I said, I don't have a problem hiding the 36, I am just wondering about the "better" ballistics of the .357 vs the .45 out of a somewhat same barrel.  But I don't think that there is too much of a difference to be worried about something like that when all it takes is "one shot, one kill" right? :twisted:    .....hopefully

Offline Lawdog

Glock or revolver?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 10:21:45 AM »
For me and others I believe it's a personal choice.  I don't care for light weight or air weight revolvers.  Don't really care for snub nosed either but have carried one as a back-up.  For a duty weapon I used to carry a Glock 24C but now it’s a Glock 21.  For off duty I carry my 6” Les Baer Premier II in .45 auto.  The added weight lets me know it's there and I like the feeling.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Glock or revolver?
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 07:17:16 PM »
Bubba-

There's a lot to be said for those 38 special +P guns from S&W.  They only weigh about 15 or 16 ounces, and there's lots of very good 38 ammo on the market these days.  Personally, I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on an 11 ounce 357 mag, so those little titanium guns don't really do it for me.  A lot depends on how you dress, how good your gun leather is, and how you're willing to change your style of dress to be able to carry a handgun concealed.
NRA life member

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

Glock or revolver?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 04:38:06 AM »
Quote from: leverfan
Bubba-

There's a lot to be said for those 38 special +P guns from S&W.  They only weigh about 15 or 16 ounces, and there's lots of very good 38 ammo on the market these days.  Personally, I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on an 11 ounce 357 mag, so those little titanium guns don't really do it for me.  A lot depends on how you dress, how good your gun leather is, and how you're willing to change your style of dress to be able to carry a handgun concealed.

Thanks for all the replies.

My gunleather is lacking in only the belt right now.  I need to get a better belt, otherwise my leather is from Haugen Handgun Leather www.haugenhandgunleather.com(excellent stuff).  I know the belt makes all the difference...  
My choice of clothing styles have been modifided to fit my "lifestyle" :wink:

I just am having the old "want a new one" virus...And I have liked the lighter weight of the Glock since I strapped it on, as compared to the 1991A1.

Offline corallus2000

Glock or revolver?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 10:36:37 PM »
if you are worried about better ballistics go with magsafe ammo. a bit expensive, but well worth it

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

Glock or revolver?
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 04:59:53 PM »
Corallus,

I've used magsafes' ammo previously in a .32ACP because I wanted as much punch as possible from that little gun.  I liked what it could do for me, I just don't think the price is worth it in the larger calibers....

And no...this concern wasn't one of mine. :wink:

Offline Scorpius

Glock or revolver?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 01:23:25 AM »
I'm not even sure why you're worried about the ballistic differences between a .357 and a .45.  I'd be willing to put a lot of money down on both being pretty devastating.  They'll both have pretty tough recoil, being light as they are, but get the revolver anyway.  I've seldom heard a "too many guns" complaint  :wink:  .
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/