Author Topic: i wana sart relodin pleas help  (Read 713 times)

Offline TrapperZach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
i wana sart relodin pleas help
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
i wana start relodin mostly 223 some 303 and lots of others. kida on limiteed income (im 14) what do i neeed any good kits out there pleas help.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »
hello trapper zach -

i was also on a limited budget when i started to reload too. check out the Lee Loader, for about $15 you can get everything you need to load one cartridge.

www.leeprecision.com

you can buy these at gunshops, cabela's,

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

and a bunch of other places.

you will also need to buy powder, primers, bullets, etc. also check out the lee presses, they are inexpensive yet do a very good job.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 02:48:13 PM »
You can buy a Lee starter kit for 260 bucks out of Cabelas. This comes with everything you need

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 02:55:35 PM »
TrapperZach, for approximately $15.00 you can get a Lee Loader in any single caliber. I would suggest you start with one to learn the basics. And speaking about basics, would you, could you, please start to use the "SpellCheck" feature if you have a bit of difficulty with spelling. It would assist you in learning to spell better and also make your messages a bit more understandable. This is not a condemnation but an attempt to help, please take it as such...Your friend...MSP Ret....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Buffalogun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 02:57:27 PM »
TrapperZach,

At 14 yrs old, there has to be a lot that you don't know about handloading ammunition. Soooo.....get at least two loading manuals and "read" them very well and make sure that you understand what you are reading.

You are more than welcome to ask questions on this forum!

This is an activity that can be very dangerous :eek:  if it is not approached carefully!

Glad to have you in the sport.

Buffalogun 8)
Don't worry about the mule..........just load the wagon!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 03:53:31 PM »
Zach, I got this link from ED Hill, IIRC, it should be of help to you too.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/51
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
If you want, I have a Lee Turret press I no longer use. If you pay for shipping I'll send it to you along with the powder measure and everything I used for it. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll gather it all up and figure shipping.  :D I think I can still find it (I've moved several times since I last used it)
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »
Lee makes a good starter kit for around $75 bucks.  That doesn't include any dies though.  If you can't swing that and want to buy things out seperately, then you can get the following (for a press setup) as a MINIMUM:

1. A press.  I know that Midway has the small Lee C-frame press for under $20.  
2. A die set.  You'll need one of these for each chambering you want to load for.  To start with, I'd say Lee here (though once you get a bit more cash and some extra equipment I find Lyman dies to be a bit better of a value IMHO).  The Lee dies run ~$20 and they come with a shellholder and powder scoops, as well as some basic reloading data.  This stuff normally doesn't come with other brands.
3. A priming tool.  A Lee Ram Prime will run you $8.
4. A reloading manual.  Prices vary.  Mostly for the instructions on this one.  Loading data is available for free from powder manufacturer websites and with the Lee die sets, but you'll want a guide to step you safely through the process. (you might be able to find used manuals on Half.com or ebay.  these would likely be cheaper than a brand new one)

And that should be it for a minimum setup.  You can measure the charges with the powder scoops (you might want to get the whole set of scoops to help you with that).  It'll be just as accurate as with the regular Lee loader anyways (as soon as you can afford it I'd recommend a proper powder scale though).  

Now naturally as you progress you'll want a lot more "goodies" (a hand prime tool, a triming system, a tumbler, neck sizer dies, better press,  etc), but the above will at least let you get a feel for reloading.

I'd personally recommend against the Lee Loader myself, unless you are on a VERY tight budget.  Once you get your press bought then you can get die sets for not much more than the loader kits, and those will carry through with you when you eventually start loading with a press.

As someone mentioned earlier though, before you do ANYTHING with loading the ammo, make sure you read the steps in the loading manual several times over.  Don't go outside of any data listed (and don't guess at any powder charges).  If you know someone who has loaded before it would be great if you could get them to step you through it in person a few times before trying it on your own.  And lastly don't be afraid to ask questions.  I certainly don't mind answering whatever questions might pop up along the way, and I'm sure that everyone else here feels the same.

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 01:00:23 AM »
thank all you guys this is rely a help, msp ret i didn't realize i was doing this ill try to do spell check from here on out, and nuttin but chunks it wont let me pm any body unless they pm me first it says invalid session will you pleas pm me somthing so i can pm you back??

Offline jgalar

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 01:47:46 AM »
Take nuttinbutchunk's generous offer and use www.Leeprecision.com tools as they are the least expensive. www.midwayusa.com is a good place to order tools.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 03:29:53 AM »
TrapperZack, if you send a post to GB or Matt in the section about computer and security problems which is near the bottom of the page they might be able to correct that "invalid session" response to you can PM other members....Good Luck....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 02:46:51 PM »
thanx msp ret and all

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 03:10:35 PM »
Graybeard and Matt want everyone with forum problems to use the GBO Support Center for addressing those problems. There's a link at the top of the forum and also a link in the Question about Forums forum.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=51781

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 03:31:13 PM »
Zack, if you decide to use the Lee Loader, which is what I used for many years, I strongly suggest you kick in an extra $30 to buy a scale.  You will be happy you did.  I would suggest you look back at your tread in the reloading forum as well.  Lots of good info there as well.

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 03:44:03 PM »
thanks ron also quicktodo i dont understand this suport thing where do i post about it at.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
GBO Support
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »
Read the GBO System Wide Message box at the top of each page.

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 06:25:07 PM »
Before you order, check prices at www.cabelas.com -- Right now they're cheaper than just about anywhere else online, including Midway, MidSouth, and Cheaperthandirt.

I'm new at it myself; got the Lee Loaders and am happy with them. Will probably buy a scale next, and a press when money & space permit.

Good luck!  :lol:
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 06:38:50 PM »
If you can't get anything to work, my email address is poldham@att.net
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek: