Author Topic: Scope particulars...  (Read 302 times)

Offline bwana

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope particulars...
« on: January 19, 2005, 01:57:19 PM »
I will be re-scoping my 22" full mannlicher-stocked .45/70 Handi.  Old Simmons 3X9X32 is ready for thre trash heap and a lousy choice to boot for this gun.

What scope mounting advise can you experienced Handi-holics offer to a newbie?

I presently have a straight stock w/ med high rings and I would prefer a lower mount but obviously the hammer clearance is a problem.  No hammer spur/extention on the gun at this time, but will add immediately.  I don't feel like I get into my most comfortable shooting position unless I can get the scope lower/eye higher.  Do we just learn to live with this with the Handi's?  Anyone used longer eye relief/forward mounted scopes?

My old eyes just make a scope mandatory these days.  I really like the look of this gun better w/ open sights, but in my hands I couldn't hit a bus if it parked on my foot.
:shock:

bwana
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Scope particulars...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 02:08:19 PM »
:D , Welcome aboard Bwana!! Ever consider a small Red Dot? I have 3 Red Dots. One of my favorites is a Millett 1" Red Dot with a 3 moa dot mounted on low rings on one of my Handi's and its great. The Red Dot is short and light and mounts just in front of the hammer so you can put it close to the axis of the bore. It's great for quick shots and still shoots small groups at 100 from the bench. Also it's so small and light it handles like an iron sighted gun and it's easy to line up and shoot, especially for older eyes!!! I know!! Before you make a decision from those that may knock them, try one and make up your own mind....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Scope particulars...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 02:59:05 PM »
Thinking sort of like MSP, I'd recommend the Mueller 2-7x32 Multi-shot, great scope, won't break the bank and fits the handi very well. Got one on my .30-30. Give Jon at The Optic Zone a call at 1-877-564-0286
 he's got em at a real good price and free shipping at this time.

http://muelleroptics.com/multi-shot.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain