Author Topic: Dumb Question About H&R Barrels  (Read 563 times)

Offline oo_buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Dumb Question About H&R Barrels
« on: January 20, 2005, 09:08:59 AM »
I was under the impression that the barrels had to be factory fit to the receivers.  How then are people buying and selling these barrels in the classifieds?  Or I guess I should ask, how are they fitting the barrels to their receivers?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 09:38:43 AM »
It has just simply been a learning experience, sort of learn as you go situation coupled with a bit of knowledge and information added to a bit of common sense and safety thrown in. That mixed with years of experience gained from "shade tree" gunsmithing mixed with a healthy dose of neccesity has led us to the position we are now in, confused but happy Handi-holics!!! Come on and jump right in, start at the shallow end but the waters just fine!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline oo_buck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 10:32:43 AM »
thanks for the speedy reply.....

Would you wanna give me a quick verbal once-over in the steps to install a barrel?????

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 12:09:23 PM »
You would think they could tighten up their tolerances and make them all exchangeable? But I guess not TC does not have that problem. But then TC barrels cost what a NEF gun cost.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 12:19:51 PM »
oo_buck, First the disclaimer - barrels should be fit by the factory essentially for two reasons: 1) Safety/liability. If it is done wrong or you place a high pressure caliber on a receiver meant only for low pressure chamberings there is the risk that you could hurt yourself or someone else. If this happens you got no one to blame but yourself.2) Factory Warranty.  Factory fit barrels carry them self fit barrels don't.

That said. Obviously many Handi-holics are swapping/fitting their own barrels without incident.  Just be sure that the receiver is designed to handle the chamber pressures of the barrel you want to mate it with. A little research on this web site can help you there.  Some times you get lucky and a 2nd hand barrel will mate up snugly with your receiver other times it may require some careful shimming of the barrel lug to receiver pin. I've heard of people using everything from sheet brass to feeler gauge blades as shim stock.  And once in a while you get one that just plain won't fit.  These you sell/trade off and try again.    

Once a barrels are fit to a frame swapping back and forth is a snap.  Make sure the gun is unloaded. Remove the fore-arm screw and forearm. Then open the action and tilt the barrel off of the frame. Reinstall in reverse order. Takes about 20 seconds.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline oo_buck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 03:04:12 AM »
Yeah, I had a 10 ga barrel factory fit to my 980 Ultra 12ga  (10 ga frame).  I find that I can swap them out about as quick if not quicker than my buddy can change his TC.......

So, to fit the barrel, all you do is shim the barrel lug?  How does everyone go about attatching the shim?  Solder, welding, or what??

Offline BamBams

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 04:36:28 AM »
You may want to also ask for help on the H&R shotgun forum:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=132
NRA Handgun Instructor