Author Topic: What brutul weather  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Sheila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What brutul weather
« on: January 22, 2005, 04:09:40 PM »
It is very nasty outside. That storm is dumping a whole lot of snow here, and the wind is blowing like crazy. I had to get a flashlight, and the phonebook  opened to  PENELEC, so I can call them incase the power went out.  It is just really bad outside, and i have to go out in in the moring to snowblow the driveway.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline powderman

What brutul weather
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 05:24:44 PM »
SHEILA. The weather here has been crazy. The past 2 weeks have seen temps from 73 degrees to 17. It is snowing a bit now, the ground is covered and 23 degrees. Lots of flooding too. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline jh45gun

What brutul weather
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »
Found this out when I was driving truck a long time ago and had to go further south than I normally went got caught in a snowstorm and the roads were terrible. ( Maybe since then things have changed I do not know) Anyway A guy told me we just do not have the equipment to remove the snow like you northern folks do. "It is kinda like God put it here and he can take it away" It maybe colder up here and snowier but at least when we get it we have the equipment to deal with it unlike some parts of the country that just do not get that much snow.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
What brutul weather
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 09:10:56 PM »
Sheila,it's snowing and drifting as fast as I can snowblow it here in Schuylkill,PA.Is Johnstown any better? :)
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline JPSaxMan

What brutul weather
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 02:09:38 AM »
Shelia, I'm up in NEPA. Susquehanna County to be exact. Think there's a foot+ of snow out there just from last nite. Plus I see the wind is whipping around out there :eek: .Bbbrrr.. :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
What brutul weather
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 03:18:53 AM »
You all can keep that snow and ice upthere, we don`t want it down here (Oklahoma) :D  :-D  :-D
   What were getting is the 12 degress cold weather right now, brrrrr.
But you know what ? this would be good for everybody to go out side and check out that cold weather gear they got for Christmas, to see if it really works. :-D  :-D

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline magooch

What brutul weather
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 04:17:10 AM »
I can't say that I envy any of you folks.  It has been like spring here in the west.  Friday it was 62 degrees and sunny.  I know we'll probably get some winter yet, but every day that goes by gets us closer to spring and lessens the chance for an extended, severe winter.

I got a new kayak for Christmas and I'm getting very antsi to try it out.  If today turns out nice, this might be the day.
Swingem

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
What brutul weather
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 05:06:01 AM »
Your all right about the bad weather. Here on sunny, warm play golf all winter Cape Cod (also known as this "God forsaken sandspit" to some) we have an addittional 24 inches on the ground, over and above the 8" or so we had yesterday afternoon from a light dusting the day before. The wind is blowing and gusting about 60 mph with recorded gusts of 80 mph. We are expecting up to another 12" this after noon and into tonight and it may continue to snow until daybreak tomorrow. The highway is closed according to the radio but of course people are out there, the town has not plowed the secondary streets and I don't know if they have plowed the main streets either because of the blowing and drifting, oh yeah drifts to 10 feet and I have not even attempted to clean out the driveway or walks because it would blow right in again. Before the evening I have to go out and snowblow 3 neighbors and myself, once I get out of the garage. Oh well just another new england winter, I grew up in new england so it's just another storm but to see the weather men on TV it's a catastrophe, they seem to make it worse than it is. I am however a bit worried about my son and daughter-in-law and my grandaughter, they live close to the ocean, can see it from their bedroom window and walk to it in about 2-3 minutes, high tide is not for another hour or so and there are 25-30 foot seas running close to shore, there is a lot of costal flooding going on, I do think their high enough to avoid it though, even if they are close, well off for another cup of coffee, wish I gould see out the windows, it sounds horrible, but they are all covered with blowing snow, it's like being in a snow cave, but I don't think I'll venture out until the wind stops or I have to go out!!!  At least the temperature is about 10 degrees and it's not really to cold out, I am really ging to enjoy the football games today, as long as we don't lose our power!!, to tell the truth the way the snow is falling and the wind is blowing I'm surprised we haven't lost it yet!!!....<><.... :grin:  :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
What brutul weather
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 05:36:31 AM »
Last week got 5 ft new snow on top of 2 ft of snow. Temp was hanging near zero. Last 4 days temp has been in 60's. 4 1/2 miles back in on a dirt road, and the grader breaks down in the middle of the road. No body gets in or out. Finally got a D-8 cat in and moved the grader, and made a path all the way in. Had to use the snowmobiles to get from the house to the bottom of the hill where the truck was parked. View was great, and the quiet was outstanding. Have plenty of wood, food, gas for the generator and snowmobiles. Same with the other 6 people that live on the road. Stupid people from the city stop at the end of the road so they can play in the open field at the end of the road, and block the road, and when you tell them their blocking the road their comment is" I dint think anybody lived down their. Guy on the cat had a great sense of humor and buryed several cars, took them all afternoon to dig them out. That and had 35 trees down across the road, some of them good sized. Oh well will have more firewood for next year. And people say it dosent snow in Calif.

Gun Runner

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
What brutul weather
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 06:15:40 AM »
My daughter just returned from  5 years in the Menlo Park/Redwood City area on the peninsula. She missed the chagne of seasons and family, also she's planning on going back to school for her Masters. It's great with me to have her back.
You are right about being prepared, were all set for the long haul here also, firewood in case we need it and lamps, lanterns and candles as well as a well in the cellar for water. Being and bred in New England the winter is something to embrace not fight, and you might as well live with it because if you try to fight it you are going to lose!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Gun Runner

What brutul weather
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 09:44:29 AM »
MSP, have seen to many people from the city move up here after only visiting the area during the summer. They have no clue what to do during the winter when the power goes out and all they have are elect. heaters and stoves. Their LEXUS or what ever dosent do well in the snow. Some buy 4x4 but dont have the faintest idea on how to drive one in the snow. Bad part is we have had several tragic things occure cause they tryed to walk out of an area and have frozen to death. This happened again last week. I have tried to inform these people on what to expect, but some of them know it all cause they read somewhere's in a book on how to do it.
(sheesh) The same with moving to Alaska, go up in the spring and spend 365 days up their and get a clue. A majority of them dont last thru the winter, and are on a plane home, and have gotten rid of a lot of stuff.

Gun Runner

Offline BamBams

What brutul weather
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 12:04:14 PM »
63 and sunny in Colorado today.  ahhhhhhhh.....
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

What brutul weather
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »
That's right BamBams, just keep rubbin it in :evil:   :) .

Not much longer till 'spring'. Two months and some odd days 8) .  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
What brutul weather
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »
Sheila;
  we're getting the same...sub zeros and 2-3 ft of snow...but here in Cattaraugus county NY, we are just getting back to normal from a so far, mild winter.

Gun runner, know just what you mean by the funny doings of city folk.
 Not very many of them move out here for permanent homes but lots have recreational property.
   Then, about 20 miles away is one of the eastern ski areas. I see them every now and then doing silly things in the snow with  their SUVs
  They seem to think that if their machine is 4x4 and expensive.....it should always get them through..
 Frankly myself and many friends will get through with 2wd where these folks that are inexperienced often can't get their luxury 4x4 SUVs...

Four wheel drive is beneficial only when it is coupled with experience...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Gun Runner

What brutul weather
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 02:55:46 PM »
Ironglow, one of my favorite questions to city folk with new 4x4 that have moved to the country is are you invinceable in the snow now. I tell them the only thing 4x4 means is they can get stuck further out in the field than 2 wheel drive. And they just look at me and wounder what I meant.  :roll:
My P/U (79 GMC 2 wheel dr) isant worth a hoot in the snow. My 72 Jeep Commando will go most places in 2 w/d that a lot of 4x4's wont go.  Have had to use 4/4 to pull many a city 4/4 P/U out of the road so I could get home.  :lol:  They either think with 4/4 they can drive freeway speeds or plow through 3 or 4 feet of snow and not get stuck. Last one that got stuck in the middle of the road (were talking a narrow 1 lane dirt road), asked If I had a shovel, got the shovel out and he started to smile till I handed it to him. He said he was a little old to be shoveling, explained I had just gotten over a heart attack, and unless he wanted to spend the night their he should get started. He said he would wait and call AAA tow service, explained AAA will normally only go 50 ft off the black top, and the only other tow service around would charge him $250.00 to come down and pull him out. He had a nice time shoveling.  :grin:

Gun Runner

Offline JPSaxMan

What brutul weather
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 03:30:17 PM »
Ouch. Yep, them dang city slickers. That's kinda like how people think if they have 4 wheel drive they're ok on ice. Boy oh boy do those people learn real quick it don't matter if they got 6 wheel drive ice is ice and you'll lose control if you **** up.  :D
JP

Offline Num_1_Dad

• http://www.tuxrules.com/penguin
What brutul weather
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 03:33:35 PM »
Here in northern Michigan we have been getting the cold weather. It was 19 below zero last night here, but we don't have the snow (maybe 6 to 8 inches), which sucks as there is not a lot of insulation on the ground and I am afraid that the frost will go deep this year and cause all sorts of problems with the roads, etc. I am hoping and praying for snow!!!
Visit my forum at www.tuxrules.com/penguin to get the latest php forum board's with built in MOD's!
Or my forum www.tuxrules.com/discussion

Offline Siskiyou

What brutul weather
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »
Look at the positive side of the weather.  January storms flush August toilets. :roll:
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline JPSaxMan

What brutul weather
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 06:06:23 PM »
:eek:  :eek: You're kidding, right? That was probably the least condolence type statement ya could have said. If I wanna flush my toilet in August, I just go buy 15,000 bottles of spring water and have a ball :)  :-D
JP

Offline magooch

What brutul weather
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 03:47:50 AM »
It's supposed to be at least partly sunny and warm here today.  I think I'll take a nice long bike ride.

I did take the new kayak out on the lake yesterday--it looks like it's going to be a keeper.
Swingem

Offline akpls

• Contributor
What brutul weather
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 05:28:01 AM »
Ya got a little snow & cold?  No sympathy for you from NP, AK.  I think we made it back up to 0 this past weekend.  Of course we like snow & cold - why else would we live here?   :D  :lol:

Offline superhornet

• Avid Poster
What brutul weather
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 06:14:49 AM »
Is all this snow and cold due to Global Warming or Global Cooling..I am confused.............ho ho ho

Offline magooch

What brutul weather
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2005, 04:23:26 AM »
Quote from: superhornet
Is all this snow and cold due to Global Warming or Global Cooling..I am confused.............ho ho ho

I guess it depends on what part of the globe you are on.  Here in western Washington the weather is simply fantastic.  Yesterday was clear, warm and sunny.
Swingem

Offline Siskiyou

What brutul weather
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2005, 05:22:56 AM »
Fisherman029:   :shock: Having done my share of snow shoveling I realize that you have to put a positive light on it.  Or chose to suffer.  Having lived in an area impacted by drought at times I know that beer is brewed with water.  I hate using a portable outhouse, I love seeing lots of new growth coming on in the spring so the deer and critters have a lot of food.  I enjoy the wild berries later in the season.  The farmers have a good supply of water and there is enough flow in the streams to let the salmon spawn in the fall.  Instead of major fish die-offs in the Klamath and other rivers.  Forest fires in timber country are slower and easier to put out because the larger logs have soaked in more water.

The down side is that I chose to stay at home when I can.  But there are times that you cannot.   This coming week I must travel in an area noted for drifting snow and chain controls.  Yep, my vehicle is four-wheel drive, with a locking rear-end, with "real" snow tires, 2 sets of chains in back with a Handyman jack.  But that makes no difference except on the accident report when Knothead runs into you at 60MPH on snow and ice.

I must admire my wife with her Jeep.  Driving uphill on a snow covered hill.  Threading her way through the sliding and stuck vehicles to get to her job.  It is the pits how all the city slickers moved to the country.  

Anyway dealing with bad weather has it downside.  But I try to look at the positive.  The old Scout Motto, "Be Prepared" surely fits when it comes to living in snow country.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline JPSaxMan

What brutul weather
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2005, 06:14:59 AM »
Being bored and deciding to save $25 I shoveled my driveway today. We got a couple of inches either last nite or early this morning. I just kinda let the shovel take me over. Looks nice :grin: . Minus all the shovel tracks in the driveway  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

What brutul weather
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 06:18:39 AM »
Quote from: Siskiyou
Fisherman029:   :shock: Having done my share of snow shoveling I realize that you have to put a positive light on it.  Or chose to suffer.  Having lived in an area impacted by drought at times I know that beer is brewed with water.  I hate using a portable outhouse, I love seeing lots of new growth coming on in the spring so the deer and critters have a lot of food.  I enjoy the wild berries later in the season.  The farmers have a good supply of water and there is enough flow in the streams to let the salmon spawn in the fall.  Instead of major fish die-offs in the Klamath and other rivers.  Forest fires in timber country are slower and easier to put out because the larger logs have soaked in more water.

Of course, of course. Always nice to have a green spring (and a dryer one since we got all of our precipitation in the winter)

The down side is that I chose to stay at home when I can.  But there are times that you cannot.   This coming week I must travel in an area noted for drifting snow and chain controls.  Yep, my vehicle is four-wheel drive, with a locking rear-end, with "real" snow tires, 2 sets of chains in back with a Handyman jack.  But that makes no difference except on the accident report when Knothead runs into you at 60MPH on snow and ice.

Yep yep, and that sure would bite, now wouldn't?

Hope ya have a safe trip and hope 'knothead' ain't driving that day.  :D
JP

Offline Siskiyou

What brutul weather
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2005, 08:13:15 AM »
Fishman029:  I just checked the weather service's page for your area.  Oh, it is nasty cold the next seven days.  That is a long run.

Way back when there was a ski area and winter sports area in my patrol.  Suddenly we would get a warm spell and people would head for the mountains.  The sun would start melting snow and the water would run across the roadway.  As soon at the sun dropped down around 1600 hrs.  The accidents would start.  I suspect that MSP Ret. has handled a lot of accidents when the roads are iced-up.  Everybody wants to overdrive the conditions.  Rescuers are in danger from sliding cars.  A fellow officer spent months in the hospitial, numerous sugeries, and a lot of physical therapy after being hit by a speeding car at an accident.

Then there were the brighter parents who would roll their kids around in the snow, stuff it in their clothing, and suddenly have to deal with kids in trouble.  Of course they did not take dry clothing with them to the mountains.  You can love your kids to death in cold weather.  It was a real rush to work those weekends.  Picking glass out of people faces because their windshield was hit by a snowball.  hauling the snowballer to jail.  The judge did not cut them any slack.

Do they allow studded tires in your State?