Author Topic: GP100  (Read 895 times)

Offline TC4ME

• Trade Count: (0)
GP100
« on: January 18, 2005, 06:23:10 AM »
I am interested in purchasing A revolver for concealed carry. I really like the Ruger GP100 with A 4 inch barrel and the adjustable sights. I also like the SP101 but I really like the adjustable sights on the GP100. My main Question is A 4 inch barreled revolver to large to conceal properly? My mind is made up on A 357 revolver. I currently hunt with A 44 Super Redhawk so I am familiar with revolvers and am comfortable with them. All opinions will be appreciated.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
GP100
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 07:51:32 AM »
That particular firearm would be too wide and too heavy for me to want to carry it concealed.  My personal limit for a concealed weapon is around 25 ounces or less, and I think your pick is over 40.  You'll need an excellent holster and a wide, sturdy belt, and you'll need to give some thought to how you dress if you're really going to keep something that big concealed.

My choice for a concealed revolver is the S&W M60 with a 3" barrel in 357 magnum.  It has very good adjustable sights, and it's not too hard to hit an 8" gong at 50 yards with it.  Recoil is far more pronounced with a smaller gun, but at least it's comfortable enough to carry.

You might also consider a good semi auto for carry, even if your mind was made up.  The flat shape of an auto is far easier to conceal.  I've been carrying concealed every day for almost 12 years now, and I've packed a lot of different guns during that time.  Autos are just easier to keep concealed, and light weight autos are probably the best for dedicated concealed carry.  

If the average temperature where I live was about 30 degrees cooler, I could wear heavier clothes, and then I might be willing to pack a heavy six shooter.  As it is, I only pack those as trail guns, when I can carry openly on my belt.
NRA life member

Offline Lawdog

Re: GP100
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 09:33:49 AM »
Quote from: TC4ME
I am interested in purchasing A revolver for concealed carry. I really like the Ruger GP100 with A 4 inch barrel and the adjustable sights. I also like the SP101 but I really like the adjustable sights on the GP100. My main Question is A 4 inch barreled revolver to large to conceal properly? My mind is made up on A 357 revolver. I currently hunt with A 44 Super Redhawk so I am familiar with revolvers and am comfortable with them. All opinions will be appreciated.

I personally like your choice.  I too prefer adjustable sights on my handguns.  I don't like "fly weight" handguns in magnum calibers(recoil) either.  I pack a 6" .45 auto as my personal concealed weapon of choice and see no reson you should have any problem condealing the 4" GP100.  You like it, go with it.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline lostone1413

• Avid Poster
GP100
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 10:54:48 AM »
I carry the GP100 with the 4" barrel. It is pretty big to conceal. I'd go with the SP100 unless I was a big person. Then it is still hard to carry

Offline Wolfdog

GP100
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 06:11:14 AM »
Depending on your body type and wieght a GP100 conceals very nicely carried  SOB (Small of Back) tucked inside the waistband.

I carried mine that way for a while to and from my vehicle easily as well as around the property here all the time.  

I just sold my GP to get a P345 though.  One of the best non leather shoulder rigs I have found is made by KMJ.  Very strudy nylon construction and it is a universal system that allows you to get other holsters that attach in place of the current one.  Nice setup if you have multiple guns you like to carry.

The GP100 is indeed a heavy gun. However, it is also a great carry gun especially with the 4 inch full lug barrel.  It points naturally and has a nice feel to it.  Not to mention the good old magnum thing of the BG looking down the barrel at those nice big chunks of lead about to come his way that says "don't &%*% with me".

The important thing is to carry what your comfortable with, and make sure you know how to use it when the time comes.  People out there carry everything from .22lr derringers all the way up to full blown .454 Casul and bigger handguns as CCW.  The two important things to remember are it must be concealed somehow, and that as long as you know how to use it properly and accurately you will do much better than some punk with a hollywood "gansta style" setup who has never shot at anything other than spraying bullets out of car windows.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
GP100
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 12:44:11 PM »
I would choose the SP-101 only because I own and occasionally carry one. I have a DeSantis shoulder holster that it fits like a glove and it's easily concealable.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!