Author Topic: I'm over half way there!  (Read 961 times)

Offline De41mag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
I'm over half way there!
« on: January 12, 2005, 04:30:55 PM »
Well sold two guns tonite to a good friend of mine.
Sold the Ruger Mod 77 MKII in 7.62X39 and my S&W Mod. 629 Classic in the 5 inch barrel.
Soooo.... the way I've got it figured I'm over half way there to getting my Freedom Arms Mod. 1997 in 44 Special w/ a 5-1/2 inch barrel.  :grin:
If I can sell two more handguns, I'll have my 44 Special.

Dennis  :D

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:07:03 PM »
i know it hurts now, but you will be rewarded for your pain.  just keep looking at it from the right angle.   :wink:

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:30:43 PM »
Thanks myronman, for the support.  :D

Yea it hurts, espically watching that Smith go out the door. The Ruger... mixed feelings. I don't forsee buying any more Rugers. I've got one left, a Mod 77 MKII Compact in 7mm-08. It will group 5 rounds in an inch at 100yds with a handload of mine. I guess I won't get rid of this one, it was my dads and we traded this fall, he wanted my Marlin 1894FG in 41 mag. So I traded with him even though it was my favorite rifle (The 41).
In the last fifteen years, I don't believe I've had a Ruger that did not need to be sent back to the factory for something except for this Mod 77 Compact.
But yea, gotta look ahead, thinking of that 97 in my hands.  :wink:

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:46:41 PM »
My second wife (now my ex, you'll soon see why!) had a rule that once I got to a certain number of guns, if I wanted a new one I had to let something go.  No More!  Getting rid of her was/is pricey, but still worth it.  I'm currently shopping for a second gun safe!

I remember the history of that 41 Marlin you traded to your Dad, that can be really frustrating, and at least you got something good out of it.  I know how it is to lust after a gun, you certainly have set your sights high on this one!  Good luck and may the gods who oversee gun money smile upon you!  And when you get it........we want pictures!  :wink:  

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Questor

I'm over half way there!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 05:52:25 AM »
Papajohn:

The natural order of things seems to be that men want guns, and women want things that sit around and collect dust. The woman has to go when she confusedly thinks that the man should also collect dust.

I don't know which is more passionate about their nature, men or women. As I sit here in my living room I am within 10 feet of what must be at least a thousand little pieces of crap that I generically (silently) refer to as "debris".  We spent some good money to get some nice looking dishes  and silverware when we got married. In nearly 15 years we've used them maybe five times. Probably just four.  What's the point? I used my 375H&H more than that and I've only had it a few months, and it's a lot more fun that a dinner plate.
Safety first

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:27:07 PM »
Papajohn;

My ex was the same way, if I bought a gun, I caught hell about it.
But the one I have now, heck she will even help me with the funds.
Got a good one this time.
As far as pictures go, I'll get a friend to help me post some when I get it.
I don't have a digital camera.
Oh, by the way, dad brought the 1894FG by the house the other day. Deer season is over in Tenn. He did not put a scratch on it. He leaves it over here for safe keeping till next year,
Jeeze..... it was like one of your children going off for a while, worried while they are gone. Happy when they return safely.
Thanks again Papajohn.  :wink:

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 04:32:19 AM »
De41mag, I'm jealous.  A 97 in .44 spl would be wonderful but I have to wait a little while on that, got to catch up on the lay-aways I have going now.  Got a post card from Jay's last week and the wife intercepted it.  She hollered from the other room.  "Have you got a layaway at Jay's?"  I replied (lied) 'Just a little one, why?"  She went on to tell me "they are giving out a $25 gift certificate if you pick it up in January."  That's not going to happen."  I replied.  (She didn't ask why I couldn't get it out this month if it is just a 'little one'!)  Questor, those dinner plates would make great 200 yds targets!  Just pick up the pieces when you are done shooting.  Maybe she wouldn't notice the stack getting shorter if you just did one plate at a time.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 03:22:53 PM »
So what kinda price did the local gunshop give you today Dennis? I'll probably see Steve one day next week anyway and if I can remember I'll ask him a price. Would help to know what you've already been quoted tho so I can try to get him to come down some more if he is too high.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 03:37:48 PM »
Graybeard;

Went to the gun shop in Athens first, had a sign on the door closed Jan. 15. He is normally open till 3 PM.  :x  so went to the gun shop in Huntsville. Laarry's to be exact. He said their computer was down to come back on Monday and he would have a price for me. So no luck at all today.  :evil:
Dang, want one so bad that I've got a metal taste in my mouth. (Just kidding)
So I'll let you know sometime Monday eve. if your back from the doctor.
Best wishes on your results.  :grin:

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
44 Man you'e a genius!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 09:21:56 PM »
Hey 44 Man, great idea on the dishes.  My wife's got 2 sets of family dishes (only child) that we NEVER use.  One sets sits way up on a shelf and someone's gonna get brained the  day we have a big enough earthquake.  I stub my toe now and then on the case for the set under the bed.

Those ones on the shelf are all cozied up in plastic zipper containers.  Wonder if she'd notice if they got shorter.  Heck she doesn't even dust em!  Hmm and I'm supposed to be painting this room this week.

But she doesn't gripe much about the guns I buy, just the all the shelves I monopolize with reloading supplies and other gear. I better be careful. I don't have it too bad.

Sure would like to plug one of those useless frilly plates at 175 (max at our range)
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Re: I'm over half way there!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »
Quote from: De41mag
Well sold two guns tonite to a good friend of mine.
Sold the Ruger Mod 77 MKII in 7.62X39 and my S&W Mod. 629 Classic in the 5 inch barrel.
Soooo.... the way I've got it figured I'm over half way there to getting my Freedom Arms Mod. 1997 in 44 Special w/ a 5-1/2 inch barrel.  :grin:
If I can sell two more handguns, I'll have my 44 Special.

For shame!!! How can you call yourself a fan of the .41Magnum and then stoop so low as to get a FA M97 in .44 special? Turn in your membership card that I may cut it into small pieces. You have 90 days from today to divest yourself of the rest of your .41Magnums. If you have not, then they must be given up to the loyal members of the .41Magnum fraternity. You may absolve yourself by purchasing the FA M97 in .41Magnum. It has been written so thus shall it be. :twisted:  :P

BTW: Once divested of said .41Magnums, you'll have to change your name. So it is written, so shall it be.
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »
Foregive me oh GREAT ONE!  :(
For I have steered off course. But before the wrath of your sword comes down on me, may I plead for mercey!  :cry:
And speak in my defence....
I am not the warrior I once was, age has crept up on me. After 20+ years of mostly shooting magnums. I need a gun with less recoil and still be able to shoot many rounds. Yes... If I may speak further, a 41 can be downloaded, I've done it many times. But the 44 Special is a very good mid range shooter. And since I have so many cast bullets in 44 it's kinda like going back in time during the Elmer Keith days. I just do not desirie a magnum for shooting at the range.
I know I have offenend thee JOE MACK, but I still retain some 41's.  :oops:
So if I must be struck down, then so be it. For I stand behind my decisions.  :(

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
FA
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 03:28:25 PM »
Quote from: De41mag
Foregive me oh GREAT ONE!  :(
For I have steered off course. But before the wrath of your sword comes down on me, may I plead for mercey!  :cry:
And speak in my defence....
I am not the warrior I once was, age has crept up on me. After 20+ years of mostly shooting magnums. I need a gun with less recoil and still be able to shoot many rounds. Yes... If I may speak further, a 41 can be downloaded, I've done it many times. But the 44 Special is a very good mid range shooter. And since I have so many cast bullets in 44 it's kinda like going back in time during the Elmer Keith days. I just do not desirie a magnum for shooting at the range.
I know I have offenend thee JOE MACK, but I still retain some 41's.  :oops:
So if I must be struck down, then so be it. For I stand behind my decisions.  :(

:-D Hee-Hee-Ho-Haw, at one point I almost became a schizo. I had a pristine Colt New Frontier in .44Spcl. and a Smith triple-lock.  But for already being infatuated with the .41Magnum, I might have been a .44Spcl man. And so, I took the path less traveled. Get the .44Spcl, but be diligent in your shooting of the .41Magnum also and we shall absolve you of this minor black mark. :)
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline ggardner

how much for the FA
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 04:18:44 PM »
I am in the market for my first FA 83 field grade.  How much can I expect a dealer to charge?  I see the FA web site states something like $1600 but I suspect that they can be had for less.  Do you have any info. about this? Thanks, Gary

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
I'm over half way there!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 05:50:49 PM »
ggrardner;

Dont know about the field grade Mod. 83 but the Mod 97 Preimer is $1595.00 plus shipping with a action job, and black micarta grips. Tax has also got to be incl.