Author Topic: Is it safe to cast indoors?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline dancbtmkr

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it safe to cast indoors?
« on: September 08, 2004, 09:44:18 AM »
I know what you are going to say,  ventelation.......  but how much is required?  What kind of lead exposure is REALLY dangerous.  The doctor or the government is going to say any exposure is too much....but what is the real story about exposure?  I'm thinking about getting back into casting, but I don't want to go sterile just yet!   :shock:

Thanks
dancbtmkr

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 10:37:00 AM »
If you can flux your pot and all smoke goes out the vents, you have enough. The real danger is dirty hands and breathing lead dust from shavings, etc.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 01:15:32 PM »
Ask Lloyd Smale. I'm pretty sure he is the one I'm thinking of. He has lead poisoning from it so bad he has pretty much had to stop casting for a long time. It has really worked on him. I'm about 99% sure it is Lloyd that is the one I'm thinking of even tho I've not seen any comments on it lately.

I WILL NOT cast inside period. Just will not do it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 03:26:44 PM »
I understand Greybeard. We cast indoors but our indoors is a shop set up for casting. I wouldn't cast in my living space or any space not properly prepared.

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 03:33:03 PM »
Notsafe for fire and especially for your lungs.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 05:17:50 PM »
If you have small children or a woman who might get pregnant in the house, don't cast inside. They are much more susceptible to major damage from lead. If you are a pro or a very high volume caster, you need every precaution you can think of.

If you are the normal hobby caster, casting perhaps two evenings a month, contact is probably more dangerous than vapors. Invest in a lead thermometer to keep temps down under 700 degree and cast in front of a partially open window and your set.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 11:27:15 PM »
I just got done with treatment for lead poisoning. Im casting again but taking alot more precautions. I truely belive my problem came from. Sloppy housekeeping practices. Smoking while casting ect. I now cast wearing gloves. I tried the resperator thing but just cant stand wearing it. Dont smoke or eat while casting and keep your work area neat. (something else i still have a big problem doing) Now as far as casting indoors. I personaly wouldnt do it. My buddy after taking my advice had his tested and he was high (not as high as mine) but had to take the treatment too. He casted indoors didnt smoke and kept his area neat. He didnt have much for ventilation though. Just an open door nearby. If it were me and i was going to cast indoors id be wearing a resperator. One thing that i would be very careful with is smelting ww when using a turkey cooker or simular set up the temps can soar and fumes will be produced. Plus just handling all those dirt wws can be a problem. DO IT OUTSIDE!  Lead can do nasty things to you and its just not worth risking anything that can be prevented. Id be real careful if you have kids around keep your casting room locked up. I still believe that handling of lead is the  biggest problem not breathing it in.  There is more of a problem with shooting in badly ventilated ranges then there is with casting. I know of two other buddys who shoot compititon that have never casted that have been treated for lead poisoning. Its a VERY REAL problem but with good housekeeping problems it can be avoided I recomend anyone that has shot or casted alot get theres checked yearly. Mine went from safe to critical in 2 years.
blue lives matter

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 12:37:06 AM »
Thanks Lloyd. Good advice to all.

Offline dancbtmkr

testing
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 01:46:55 AM »
How does one get tested for lead levels?  What is the "treatment"?  I thought that once exposed, and its in your body,  it's there to stay?  What are the symptoms of lead poisioning?

thanks

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Hey Lloyd,had mine checked too!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 07:14:49 AM »
Just have not gotten the results back yet.Will let you know.Happy Birthday Friend,Jeff.
John 3:16

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 04:25:32 PM »
The toxicity of lead alloys goes way up when you get the melt above 900 d F.  (much more of the crud gets into the air)

I cast on 3rd floor, right under a roof window which vents most all the fumes directly outside.  Doesn't work well when it's raining though.

As mentioned do the smelting outside and keep upwind.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 11:44:25 PM »
test is as simple as a normal blood test. Treatment isnt bad either its just a battery of pills you take for a month the bind with the lead in your system and let i expell out of you on the toliet. One problem though is expense if you dont have precription insurance it can be costly. Over a thousand dollars for the pills and i had to do it twice to get my level back to normal.
blue lives matter

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 11:45:21 PM »
It's good to know that there is a fairly simple treatment, I too was under the impression that once it was there, it was there for good.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 12:57:40 AM »
It used to be.  I don't know of the effectiveness of the new procedure, because I have had no experience with it.  But, only 20 years ago, lead was considered a cumulative poison.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
My level in my blood...
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 08:01:36 AM »
was 4,which is normal,but I will have this done yearly I think.We all need to keep a check on it.
John 3:16

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 11:19:25 PM »
after two batterys of treatment my lead count is dow from 89 to 13 I believe that they told me that high normal limit is about 9 and they get real nervous if its over 30 and its critical if its over 50
Quote from: Cat Whisperer
It used to be.  I don't know of the effectiveness of the new procedure, because I have had no experience with it.  But, only 20 years ago, lead was considered a cumulative poison.
blue lives matter

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 10:45:20 AM »
I have just built a new garage (16' x 20'), and was hoping to cast several thousand bullets over the long Pennsylvania Winter. I have installed a range hood (fan) above my work bench. I've also already cleaned the WW's and Lino and have several hundred ingots ready to go. (Usually get the stove for ingots going outside while cutting hedges etc.) I don't smoke, but i usually drink coffee/ice tea while casting (Keep it covered in a far corner of the garage) Is this still a high risk? I also process deer in the same garage, but it is always cleaned thoroughly, and my meat saw and grinders are covered and cleand before using. I'm getting a little worried after reading the previous posts  :eek:

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 12:32:33 PM »
sounds like your taking more then ample pecausions.
blue lives matter

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 07:54:50 AM »
What are the symptoms of lead poison?

Offline docux

symptoms of lead poisoning
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 02:41:17 AM »
:D Can anyone give us the symptoms of lead poisoning??

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 09:09:22 AM »
When I first started casting I was VERY concerned about lead poisoning.  However, I work in a tin can plant and years ago they used to seal the side joint of the can with lead. So, I asked some of the old timers what kinds of problems they experienced.  These guys worked around hot lead pots day in and day out for years and that lead would get on their clothes and certainly their hand, so exposure was high.  To the man they looked at me like I'd just stepped out of a flying saucer!  Problems? They had VERY FEW problems with the lead.  Periodically they'd get tested and if they had "too much" lead in their systems they'd just get taken off the line for a month.  If you believe the environmental doomsdayers these guys shudda been drop'n like flys!  Hey, don't stand over the pot and breathe the fumes!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 09:23:37 AM »
I'm not sure casting is a dangerous as the process of sizing or actually loading cast bullets. Look at your fingers after you cast and you'll see that they are clean compared to after you size or load. Mine sure are. I't works a lot like catching virusus. It is mostly done through contact. We touch someone who has it then unconciously touch our eyes nose or mouth.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Doc Killpatient

Lead
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 03:58:51 PM »
I am a Paramedic by trade and have good access to latex gloves.   I always wear gloves under my leather gloves while casting and also wear them while loading.  Then wash my hands and forearms in hot water just to be sure all or most of the lead is gone.  Latex gloves are cheap, you guys might give it a try.  My .02

Doc
You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed!

Offline Chargar

vent hood for Sundogg
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 04:37:20 PM »
Sundogg..Build some kind of three sided box that fits under the vent hood and rests on the bench.  The open side of course is where you work. This will direct the fumes etc into the hood and  you will be just fine. The box should go from the bench to just touching the hood.

Offline unclenick

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005, 02:09:54 AM »
I've had up to 9 from shooting outdoors.  My recollection is that mercury poisoning used to be treated by sweating it out of people, and, I think, lead as well.

The various imitations of a chemical hood described here are the right idea for casting.  They will put an end to fumes.  Lead on hands is an issue.  Wash after handling, including casting, loading, shooting and bore cleaning.  Use a brush.  It is when the particles get into your stomach acid and becomes a water soluble salt that it gets into your system.  Symptoms include sterility (end of the Roman empire (lead drinking cups), and insanity if you really get a lot.  Children get developmental problems.

I built a hood over my workbench at the back end of the garage.  Nothing else happens there.  Been soldering wires for decades and handled a lot of the stuff.  Still didn't get above the current limit.  Common sense.

Nick

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 04:05:09 AM »
The guys all gave you real sound advice, I'd use it. I could probably be a poster child for "this is not how to do it".  :-)  I cast in the shop, smoke and drink while I'm doing it and never seem to get enough ventilation. My better half is a nurse and you ought to hear her squall when she steps in the door. On the up side...she won't hang around long.  :-)

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2005, 03:20:20 AM »
My casting is done on a work bench in my detached garage. Bought a bathroom vent fan at builders' supply store. Built a five sided box (one side left open). Cut a hole in the top, mounted the vent fan and vented it to the outdoors. Built a removable wooden "skirt" that covers the top 80% of the open side of the box. Left just enough space to insert the mold and work the dump lever on my 40 pound Magma pot.

There's a little smoke when I remove the skirt to add alloy to the pot and while fluxing the melt. Other than that everything I can see goes out through the vent system.