Author Topic: Newbie with bullet lube question  (Read 604 times)

Offline ohboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie with bullet lube question
« on: January 18, 2005, 06:10:53 PM »
I just started casting 100 percent lead  bullets that are .500 for my 50 cal. muzzleloader. they dont have to be sized. Now i need to lube the bullets, :eek:   how do i go about doing this.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 09:28:16 PM »
Soak'm in melted goat cheese.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline jgalar

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:55:46 AM »
I mix up crisco with bee's wax. I heat the lube in the microwave until it is melted and take tweezers and dip the bullet into the lube. The lube hardens almost as soon as you pull the bullet out.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:34:30 AM »
You can just rub on Crisco when the weather is cool. When it gets hot, you need something with a higher melting point like the Crisco-Beeswax mixture that has been mentioned.

Far as the goat cheese is concerned, I eat that and drop the wax coating into my lube mixture. That wax is mostly carnuba and good stuff for lube. The seal on Maker's Mark is carnuba, too, and that's even better than goat cheese.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 03:49:37 AM »
My .50 likes the REAL bullet dipped in liquid alox. Plus I put a dollop of Crisco ahead of it. Bullet on left has the liquid alox, right is plain. For some reason, mine just doesn't like them plain, has to have alox. Plain it doesn't group...it patterns.

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 09:51:59 AM »
Quote from: quigleysharps4570
My .50 likes the REAL bullet dipped in liquid alox. Plus I put a dollop of Crisco ahead of it. Bullet on left has the liquid alox, right is plain. For some reason, mine just doesn't like them plain, has to have alox. Plain it doesn't group...it patterns.

My .50 is a Lyman Deerstalker Carbine -- that particular gun has a 1 in 28 twist, and shoots long heavy bullets well.  I like the Lee Modern Minnie Ball (360 grains) lubed with liquid Alox.