Author Topic: Uberti 58 vs Peitta 58?  (Read 812 times)

Offline threepdr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Eras Gone Blog Spot
Uberti 58 vs Peitta 58?
« on: January 20, 2005, 04:33:23 AM »
I see that Midway has model 58 Ubertis for $199.  Cabelas has the same gun made by Pietta for $159.  

Is there enough real difference in the Uberti to pay the extra $40

I seem to remember a few years ago a company making a repro 58 that supposidly was a better copy of the remington as far as actually demisions of the origianal.  I had a slighty larger in size.  Anyone remember that and know who the maker was?

Thanks
See my history and archaeology blog at:  http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
Uberti 58 vs Peitta 58?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 06:06:12 AM »
I don't know about the Remmingtons, but on the colts I've seen for 40$ more I'd definatly go with the Uberti.  A little better finish, better timing, and slightly more authentic.  Also on my colt copies the Uberti seems to have better or maybe real case harding, gas cutting at the cylinder pin is a good bit less on the Uberti than the Piettas I have.  That said the Piettas have come a long way and most of them are very good now.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline mtndone

Uberti 58 vs Peitta 58?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 08:27:28 AM »
I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago at a local Sporting Goods store- I went with the Pietta due to the price and ended up taking it back the next day and bought the Uberti.  I got it (the Pietta) home and started to disassemble it to clean all of the oil off and noticed the front site was bent, the Blue was missing on part of the gun (under and behind the cylinder and loading lever) and the  cylinder pawl and stop still had mold marks on them. these all could have been fixed pretty easily but I thought "nah not on a new gun" I dont know if this normal or if this one slipped through the QA dept but I have not regretted paying the extra for the Uberti- it shoots and looks great- just my .02

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Uberti 58 vs Peitta 58?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 07:05:12 PM »
mtndone, sounds like one of the older Piettas.  I have 4 of the "newer" ones and all look and function just fine.   Then again, like you said, one could have slipped through.  :-)
Singing Bear