Author Topic: Day hunting "stuff" to schlepp along  (Read 991 times)

Offline Lolly

• Trade Count: (0)
Day hunting "stuff" to schlepp along
« on: September 30, 2004, 12:48:27 PM »
What do you typically take on a day foot sloggin hunting trip besides obvious clothing, guns, ammo, glass ? What goes in the backpack- If any?
:gulp: Lollypop

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Day hunting "stuff" to schlepp al
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:13:49 PM »
I usually go with a fanny pack, although I hunt out of treestands. :) If I was doing the spot and stalk then these same items would be in my daypack.  Besides what you have mentioned, flashlite, deer drag, knife, space blanket, source of ignition, camera, possibly a range finder, rubber surgical gloves for dressing game (my hands often crack so I protect them from blood etc...) food and water.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 07:13:28 PM »
when in rifle season an im not walking around i take a back pack with extra socks an gloves few cans of pop bunch of treats  an standered stuff like tp, asprens an such, when im stalking i have a mikes shoulder holster for my 44 an it has a case my motorola to fit in  an i have a knife in my pocket with a ammo wallet holding an extra 6 rounds

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 11:09:47 AM »
It seems to me like a GPS unit, even just a basic one, should be in the kit of any person traipsing around the woods by himself.  Yeah, I know, we're all "macho" men who don't need no stink'n GPS unit!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 10:53:29 AM »
The Basics:

Knife

pin on compass

solid fuel hand warmer

zippo lighter

flashlight

thermos of coffee

pocket watch (so I know when it's time to meet up for lunch)

legth of rope for a deer drag

rubber gloves (makes clean up easier)

a fully loaded rifle and another full magazine's worth of cartriges in loops or a carrier so they don't make noise.

I carry most of this stuff usually in an old upland style game bag

If I am in a blind hunting or under special circumstances I might also have:

binoculars

a wool blanket

a sandwich or two

a full size compass
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 02:38:03 PM »
Dusty Miller,

I agree with you. I never go into the woods without my GPS. Never thought I needed one - untill I got one!

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 05:55:07 PM »
one reason why i like military surplus rifles so much is that you can carry spare ammo in a stripper clip.it makes it a lot easier to reload in a hurry, although i doubt i'd need that much firepower that fast when hunting deer.also lets you account for all your rounds and you don't have to empty your pockets looking for a stray cartridge. i went waterfowl hunting for the first time this year, and in the heat of the moment you'd be surprised what you try to load in the gun thinking it's ammo. duck calls, Lifesavers and Bic lighters to name a few. :oops:

also for a fire starter i carry an electric ignition butane torch type lighter instead of a zippo.i like zippos but they dry up after about a week, whereas the butane is pressurized and doesn't evaporate.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 11:34:02 AM »
I do most of my deer hunting on private property near where I grew up, so I don 't carry a map or a compass as I never go anywhere I haven't been going for almost 20 years.

In addition to a rifle, ammo and a knife, I carry a Sagen Hunter's Field saw for breast bones and aitch bones.  I also pack a long latex gloves, binos, a "Glenn's deer handle".

The deer handle is a great contraption.  That loop of rope is just the right length.  The whole thing rolls up and fits easily in the bottom of my game bag, and I couldn't have built it for much cheaper than the $8 I paid for it.

I sometimes carry a little food and water.

Rummer

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 01:10:34 PM »
I for the most part when hunting local, carry water no#1, trail mix or something like that, beef jerky at times for energy food, toilet paper is a must, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ;), rubber gloves for field dressing deer, compass, flashlight(small maglight), a deer drag, I wear a waist carry everything camo pouch's they are tied in together, there is three of them with zippers, thats were I carry my gloves, headover, cover spray, small binoculars, saviors tape, some tools, screw driver, allen set, to be able to work on my rifle or bow if need be, while in the field.
I also wear a gun belt carrying a speed loader, and a uncle mikes rifle/handgun bullet holders, holds ten rounds each,this is not counting the 6 rounds for my revolver and the five for my rifle, four inch folding buck knife, and my holster for my revolver, a compression seat, hangs off my belt, oh ya and my windage powder, comes in handy at times. This is my light carry, when I'm way in the bush and going to stay a night. I carry a backpack filled with extra articles like socks, shirts, sleeping bag, tent, food, cooking pan, first aid kit ect...Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 01:41:48 PM »
I've been really trying to cut down on the amount of "stuff" I carry around. Here's what I've cut it down to so far:
GPS (always)
camera
knife
rubber gloves
rope saw
deer and hog grunter
rangefinder (archery)
Glenns deer handle
small 12x25 Nikon binos
compass
water
extra ammo
Summit Trophy Chair if I'm not headed to a stand - just in case
cell phone
small spray bottle of Scent Killer

It all fits into a camo fanny pack (except the chair). I'm trying to cut down even more.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
what to take
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 06:02:08 AM »
All the above mentioned items are good ones. You should add some first aid bandages. When I say bandages I mean battle dressings. The pack up well enough and if you need one you will need one. I worry more about sticking myself when field dressing than anything else. If you can't find a battle dressing purchase a 12x 12 inch bandage and self adhesive wrap. Keeping all the red stuff inside goes along way toward enjoying that hot meal when stuck out side for the night.

A space blanket may make the difference if you have to spend the night out because you are hurt.

After all, when we venture out in the field, we go on our own. It is up to you to make sure you make it back.

Longwalker.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 06:21:22 AM »
Longwalker your right, I forgot to mention, I bring a few tampons for big wounds ;)and a firstaid kit, tampons work great soaking up blood and great for filling holes, God forbid you ever have to use them, but like I always say, Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, I also carry a fold blowup limb cast, if someone breaks a leg or a arm, I did have to use that once, it was a compound fracture as well, really nasty looking, but I never let on to the victim how bad it was, just said don't worry your in good hands, everything will be all right, boy I was scared seeing that bone through the skin;) Glad it was him and not me 8)everything tern out for the best, the guy is back skiing again. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.