Author Topic: .357 maximum reamer  (Read 966 times)

Offline martyball

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
.357 maximum reamer
« on: February 13, 2005, 02:34:38 PM »
It's my recollection that there was a .357 Max chamber reamer floating around the group a few months ago.  I have a .357 mag barrel hopefully back at the factory getting tightened up and and a contender .357 mag barrel I'm considering reaming out to 357 max.  Leftoverdj is the name I remember as organizing the reamer.
Did anybody here ream out a barrel?  How did it work out?  Does anyone know of a source for a reamer?

Thanks
Marty

Offline JPH45

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 03:23:46 PM »
Leftoverdj is right, look back on some posts and PM him, He has posted in the last 10 days I'm sure. You should be able to rent one at www.reamerrentals.com but I'm sure DJ will give you a better deal.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Leftoverdj

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 03:42:43 PM »
Marty, I still have it. Everyone who has used it has been somewhere between satisfied and ecstatic.

I'd need a deposit from someone we don't know, but if you are an old timer just getting back and some of the regs will vouch for you, I'll waive it.

You wanna do two barrels, it would be $15 for the first and $10 for the second, plus you pay return shipping.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 04:13:04 PM »
It showed back up did it?  Last I heard it "disappeared" while on it's rounds.  Glad it's still among the living..(and the honest).

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Ream 357
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »
Idid reamer to 357 Maxie, very glad I did improve accro. some,
 I like it. :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
 Marv.

Offline Leftoverdj

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 05:40:20 PM »
Haywire, the .45-70 throater disappeared. Made me just a little more cautious.

Offline jeff223

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 07:35:07 PM »
boy im sure glad you have that reamer leftoverdj,i might want it again someday for a handi rifle barrel. :wink:

Marty,i sure hope you can get the reamer from dj.it sure is a surefire way to get a great and powerful shooter.the job takes about 15 seconds :) you cant go wrong

Offline martyball

• GBO Supporter
.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 09:55:28 PM »
Jeff223; My ability to go wrong in gun fiddling has to be seen to be believed, but nothing ventured nothing gained.
I am undecided on reaming the contender barrel.  It is a 10" 357 mag and I just got a 10" 357 max.  My understanding is that the leade of the TC factory barrel is pretty gradual and a rechamber provides better accuracy.  I am not overwhelmed with the accuracy of the max barrel (6"-8" at 100 yds) but I am shooting with a 2X scope and not confident of my ability to get the best accuracy out of the gun.
What kind of lead is built into the reamer?

Marty

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 01:58:42 AM »
Can we do a bit of backtracking and try to find out who has the 45-70 throater? It would be nice to be able to send things around between guys on this site without having them disappear. It's the same with barrels and stocks, it's great being able to send the payment or item without having to wait for the other to appear. At some point it could get so no one will be able to trust anyone. Lets get together and try to get the 45-70 throater back, check your PM's and e-mails and lets start a time-line of where it was, where it went, and when, that way we can determine who has it. Perhaps they just are slow in using it and will speak up and put it back in rotation. I suggest don't send reamers or stocks/barrels to new guys without full info, name, address, phone number (land line, not cell #). If you do get a cash deposit to equal or exceed the cost of replacing the item....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Things going between friends
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 02:24:36 AM »
I sgree with you MSP. Most I have Knoun about here on board
 have getting things real rapaid. Marv.

Offline Leftoverdj

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 06:29:04 AM »
MSP, nobody here was involved. It was one of two infrequent posters from other boards and neither is still posting. I got my own job done and had slightly more than covered my costs. Only harm done was to those waiting in line. One of the guys had had me schedule him around NG time, and it would not surprise me if he got called up and shipped out. Nothing to get excited about.

Marty, the reamer is an off the shelf Manson. I don't know what the leade angle is. Three degrees would be my guess.  

I just got a report from a fellow who came to see me to have his 10" TC .357 Mag Maxed. He's getting ragged holes at 50 yards and just over 1" at 100 yards.

What load are you using? I've been told that some of the lighter bullets don't do at all well at Max velocities. Scope power should not be an issue. It might make a half inch difference, but not one of the magnitude that you mentioned.

Offline jeff223

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 08:41:03 AM »
Marty,i reamed my TC Contender and it shoots great.im using w296 powder with a Speer 180gr flat nose.it shoots under 1 inch with no trouble at all at 50yds.never moved out to 100yds yet but soon once some of the snow melts here.my data shows there is only 75fps differance between the 10inch barrel and the 14 inch barrel.i never even tried a 357mag round in the gun at all.ill just stick with the max

this job is a know brainer for sure.

Offline martyball

• GBO Supporter
.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 12:52:42 PM »
The reloads I am shooting are reportedly 19.9 gr. of 4227 powder under a 180gr. XTP bullet.  These loads came with the barrel and I need to shoot a few up so I can reload them.  When shooting a contender off the bench what is the best way to support the gun?

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 02:54:44 PM »
hey if u still need a 357 reamer let me know , i got one here ill pass on if needed ??

Offline JPH45

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »
Don't know how much Contender shooting you have done, your report of 608" groups at 100 and then how to best shoot he gun from a bench suggests not a lot, so I hope I don't I come off as some kind of know it all, I certainly don't. But a Contender is not like most other handguns and getting started with one is PITA. Afte you master it, you'll wonder how you ever did without one. Kinda like a Handi in that respect.

OK, first tone that load down. I've never thought the Contender, especially with a factory grip stock is very user friendly. A 10" 357 Max is going to thump, bump and make a LOT of noise. Hang on, and I mean hang on. Don't death grip it, just have a good grip, kinda like you would have on a hammer handle. Don't change it, don't tighten your grip as you pull the trigger, don't relax it either, just maintain a firm and constant grip. When benching, I always used an adjustable rifle rest, rested the forearm on the rest, relax, breath in, breath out as you are aligning the sight, at the bottom of your breath, relax pull the trigger. Sounds easy don't it :roll: But that's it mainly. Be sure the butt of the gun is off the bench. If you don't have a rest, one can be made with a stack of either 3 or 4 2x6"s and some towels or carpet samples. You might need two 4x4's stacked up, but be sure to have at least 1" of padded  material, 2" if it is softer stuff, 3 might be better. Experiment. You can shoot 38's or 357 Mags through the gun. USE 'EM. Forget about how accurate you shoot and use a closer target. 25 yards if need be. The trick is this, be sure that when the hammer falls, the sights don't move. Not even a squiggle. If the ammo shoots 4" who cares? Your eye wil tell you what you need to know. At every shot ask yourself, "Where was the sight when the gun went off?" Have a friend load the gun alternately with live and fired cases. You are not to know what is in the chamber. Guaranteed flinch finder and cure all in one. Cheap too, and fun, it's a game all it's own. Untill you can fire the gun and call your shot (Where was the sight) there ain't no need to worry about accuracy, the gun can probably shoot better than you can. WORK SLOWLY!!!!!!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. If it takes 20 minutes to get 5 shots off that are perfect shots WHO CARES???!!! Only perfect practice makes perfect. You cannot get to perfect by practicing screwing it up. That only shows you what not to do, you have to teach your body WHAT TO DO AND WHEN TO DO IT. Firing a short barreled heavy like a 357 max cranks up the bodys natural reactions.....GET THE HELL AWAY. You've got to undo this, and it takes time, so relax and allow yourself the freedom to learn the gun. Finally, shooting is not like riding a bicycle. You can ride a bicycle after not having been on one for 20 years. Shooting is an aquired skill and requires maintainence and skill building. A TC is not a Blackhawk, nor a Smith, nor a rifle. It is the difference between a 750 Honda and a Harley Wide Glide. They are both motorcycles, but require very different riding styles. Relax and have fun. But be serious in your fun, make every shot count. Finally, spend some time with some different stocks, a good stock on a TC is worth the guns weight in gold. A poor stock (and the old Contender stock with that silly rubber along the backstrap is poor on a good day) is worse than a boat anchor. Hogue made some nice stocks for the Contender, so did Pachymar. Good luck, remember, only perfect practice makes perfect.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jeff223

.357 maximum reamer
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 04:31:42 AM »
jph45 kind of sums it up for shooting the Contender.i just love mine.once you learn good trigger controll with a handgun everything else will fall into order.

i shoot my Contender off sand bags.i have a big ballistic bag that weighs about 40lbs and i use that for the front rest and i also use a small sand bag under the grip.i squeese the bottom sand bag to adjust the cross hairs on the target.the nice thing about these Contenders is they dont seem to vertical string at all from what ive seen,just nice round groups.

i never liked any hand guns up till i got this Contender.as far as im concerned all the rest of the autos and revolvers are junk but that just my opinion.i dont like pistols but i love Contenders.like jph45 said the contenders are differant than the rest.they are kind of like shooting a rifle of the bench but then again there not.once you spend some time with one and get so you are shooting the contender good you will find your rifle shooting will be better too