Author Topic: Turner calls Fox network 'propaganda voice' for government  (Read 707 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Turner calls Fox network 'propaganda voice' for government
« on: January 27, 2005, 01:41:43 AM »
Turner calls Fox network 'propaganda voice' for government

By KEN RITTER
Associated Press Writer

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Cable news pioneer Ted Turner used an appearance before a group of television executives to criticize the Fox network as a "propaganda voice" of the Bush administration and to compare Fox News Channel's popularity to Adolf Hitler's rise to power in Germany before World War II.

Turner, 66, in a speech Tuesday before about 1,000 people at the National Association of Television Programming Executives targeted "gigantic companies whose agenda goes beyond broadcasting" for timidity in challenging the Bush White House.

"There's one network, Fox, that's a propaganda voice for them," Turner said. "It's certainly legal. But it does pose problems for our democracy when the news is 'dumbed-down.'"

Fox News in New York issued a statement Tuesday saying, "Ted is understandably bitter having lost his ratings, his network and now his mind - we wish him well."

Turner stepped down as vice chairman of AOL Time Warner in May 2003.

During a wide-ranging hour-long question-and-answer session moderated by former CNN anchorman Bernard Shaw, Turner called it "not necessarily a bad thing" that Fox ratings top CNN and other cable news networks.

"Adolf Hitler was more popular in Germany in the early 30s than ... people that were running against him," Turner said in remarks videotaped by conference administrators. "So, just because you're bigger doesn't mean you're right."

Convention spokeswoman Michelle Mikoljak said the association had no comment about Turner's comments and that Turner was no longer in Las Vegas at the conference that continued Wednesday at the Mandalay Bay Event Center.

Turner heads an Atlanta-based philanthropic and business empire that includes restaurants serving buffalo steaks and other American dishes.

He wrote an article published last summer in the Washington Monthly magazine titled "My Beef With Big Media" in which he focused on what he called a loss of quality, localism and democratic debate.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline magooch

Turner calls Fox network 'propaganda voice'
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 04:18:32 AM »
The head of Fox news had it just right.  Ain't it fun to watch liberals whine?
Swingem

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 04:40:17 AM »
Well thank goodness our "government" has been saying a lot of good things lately.  Hmmmm.....now what could be said about Turner's news programs.  Probably not much huh?  I mean, they are perfect an' all.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 06:07:32 AM »
They make a good pair-Hanoi Jane and Iraqi Ted. :-D  :)  :-D  :)  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 06:30:25 AM »
IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS     Eat the Turkeys.   All the more reason to watch FOX.
....make it count

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 06:44:14 AM »
Quote from: Ted Turner
Fox network 'propaganda voice' for government

I don't think that it's any big secret that Fox leans as far to the right as a network can without folks starting to howl about an open fix.

Do they get the news out there?  Yes.  But it's still a well coordinated spoon-feeding.

Fair and objective?  Not.

Pretty much a true statement on Mr. Turner's part.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Randy_che

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 07:01:56 AM »
Quote from: FWiedner

Maybe not so true. I was dissapointed to find that Fox gave 61% of it's political donations to the Democrats. So much for Fox News being a tool of the Republican Nazis.

From CHOOSE THE BLUE.com (a site put together by whiny democrats in an attempt to wage economic warfare on businesses that actually support the party that likes business)

"Fox News News Corp 61% 39% $689,549 $434,224 Fox Cable Networks, others... "

That $689,549 went to the democrats. If anything, I think that Fox News's donations are not exactly in line with the political leanings of thier viewers.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 08:24:18 AM »

What news entity do FWiedner deem "fair and objective" then, inquire Dali Llama? :?

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 09:48:09 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

What news entity do FWiedner deem "fair and objective" then, inquire Dali Llama? :?

News entity?  Not one.

From print or broadcast media, there is no truth, only opinions, scams, slants, spin, propaganda, and studied deception.

How can a thinking person not recognize that every form of commercial media is slanted according the political and social leanings of it's major sources of funding or patronage?

I get news from several sources, and consider all of it with a hard dose of skepticism.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 12:28:19 PM »

I get news from several sources, and consider all of it with a hard dose of skepticism.
Dali Llama say he prefer consider his news with a hard dose of Jim Beam! :gulp:  :agree:

Offline magooch

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 04:49:49 AM »

I don't think that it's any big secret that Fox leans as far to the right as a network can without folks starting to howl about an open fix.

Do they get the news out there?  Yes.  But it's still a well coordinated spoon-feeding.

Fwied, you are living proof that it's all in the ears and eyes of the beholder.  

I am a staunch conservative and to me, Fox goes out of its way to try to come right down the middle.  Outside of MSNBC, I don't know of any other network that even attempts to present all sides of political issues.
Swingem

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 05:24:42 AM »
I've watched Fox quite a bit while on the treadmill, and from what I can tell it does lean a little to the right.  Without doubt, it is to the right of the other major news networks.  More specifically it is a "neo con" newscast.  One doesn't find a lot of libertarian views there.

I have no problem with media bias other than the fact that they all lie about it.  I would never assume that the talking heads are telling the truth about anything anyway.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 06:17:07 AM »
I don't think Fox leans to the right anymore than the others lean to the left. All TVs should be sold with a bulls***t filter as standard equipment. :-D  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 08:56:07 AM »

News entity?  Not one.

From print or broadcast media, there is no truth, only opinions, scams, slants, spin, propaganda, and studied deception.

Paintin' with a rather broad brush again, ain't ya, ask Dali Llama?