Author Topic: H&R Ultra Slug - I want to talk ballistics & Hunting  (Read 735 times)

Offline hunter01

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Ultra Slug - I want to talk ballistics & Hunting
« on: January 07, 2005, 11:54:44 AM »
This site is great! I'm interested in hearing some feedback on the 12 & 20 trophy slugsters. I 've tested Winchester Partition Golds, Lightfields, Remington's and Federal's and found the Federals to be the flattest shooters for me (With my 12). They kick less and at 100 yards they shoot 3 inches higher then the rest. As a result I get a nice flat trajectory at 150 yards.

What about your hunting experiences? Mainly the 20 Gage.  I Have not shot anything with mine yet.  Take Care
E-mail Ublyhunter@comcast.net

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
H&R Ultra Slug - I want to talk ballist
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:24:15 PM »
What is a trophy slugster?....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hunter01

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 01:54:36 PM »
I meant ultra slug

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 02:23:41 PM »
Sorry but I can't help you, I shoot my smoothbore with Brenneke-Rottweil 2 3/4" 12 gauge MP slugs. Cheaper than sabots and great accuracy for the ranges I hunt and shoot deer at. Now that it is known you are inquiring about H&R Ultra Sluggers I am sure those with much more  knowledge and expierence than I with them will be responding with all you need to know and more...Good Luck....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »
I have retired my 12ga Ultra Slug, and "downgraded" to a Tracker II 12ga which is much lighter and just as accurate for my hunting ranges. I am typically shootin Lightfields in the white box, which can be got for around $8 per box. I also liked the Litefield Lites, but the supply went scarce, and I switched to "regular strength". I got a Lyman slug mold, but haven't gotten set up yet to reload those.

In the past, though, with the Ultra Slug, I have had excellent luck with the Winchester Partition Golds, longest shot, 125yds ridge to ridge shot in timber. Closest shot 10yds.

Offline hunter01

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 02:42:43 PM »
Quote from: HuntenNut
I have retired my 12ga Ultra Slug, and "downgraded" to a Tracker II 12ga which is much lighter and just as accurate for my hunting ranges. I am typically shootin Lightfields in the white box, which can be got for around $8 per box. I also liked the Litefield Lites, but the supply went scarce, and I switched to "regular strength". I got a Lyman slug mold, but haven't gotten set up yet to reload those.

In the past, though, with the Ultra Slug, I have had excellent luck with the Winchester Partition Golds, longest shot, 125yds ridge to ridge shot in timber. Closest shot 10yds.

Thanks!  If you're looking for lightfied lites Gander Mountain always has them in stock!  Good Luck!

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 02:48:45 AM »
Well, actually, just before the season opened, I called 3 different Gander Mountains within a 50 mile radius of me, none of them had them. I started out with 5 boxes of them, but ended up shooting them all before the season started. I had to go back to the "regular strength" due to lack of local inventory.

This is also my chief concern about the 20ga. There does seem to be plenty of ammo available for it, but local availability of your desired load might be difficult to find, especially if you find yourself low at the last minute.

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 04:54:14 AM »
Not to throw sand at the original post; if the firearm is sighted in with slug
"Alpha" and throws slug "Beta" 3inches higher at 100yds with less recoil and the same sight setting, "Beta" has less velocity and has a higher trajectory. Try these tests at 50 yards and you'll see the same results. Guessing from experience, but perhaps hitting as much as 6-9 inch over the bullseye with those sight settings.????
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline jeff223

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 11:32:50 AM »
huntennut,what are you going to do with that retired 12ga ultraslug?my son is thinking about getting a 12ga ultraslug.i have a 10ga turkey gun and was going to send in for a barrel,but if you have one retired maybe you would like to rid your self of it? :lol:

you live in Michigan?correct?