Author Topic: Binoculars  (Read 807 times)

Offline huskerfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Binoculars
« on: December 28, 2004, 04:53:24 PM »
I am in the market to buy new binoculars.  What are the best of the best.  Money is not a concern.

Offline DIVR6347

• Avid Poster
binoculars
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 06:36:12 PM »
hey
                    LEICA ULTRAVID!!!!!

OK MAYBE SWAROVSKI EL

DID I MENTION LEICA ULTRAVID??  

DIVR6347 :D  :D

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Binoculars
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 06:58:35 PM »
The 2 already mentioned and also Zeiss.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline DIVR6347

• Avid Poster
binos
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 04:16:47 PM »
hey
yea zeiss makes a great glass   cabelas has a great deal on a pair of
zeiss classic s i cant remember if they are 7x40 or 10x40 but they were $699 which is a good price on them
  the leica ultravid is a superb choice  also the swaro el  
nikon has a top glass thats supposed to be right with the lieca and swaros but ive never looked thru them
divr6347  :D

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Binoculars
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 05:07:08 PM »
Better look through the Nikon Premier LX L if you are considering the Leica Ultravid, Swarovski EL and Zeiss Victory II.  You might save some money and have an equal or better view.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Binoculars
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 09:25:28 AM »
I'm partial to anything Leica makes.  They are fantastic.

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Binoculars
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 07:58:04 PM »
huskerfan:

I did not read any of the thread except your question. The absolutely correct answer is: It depends.

I see a question mark forming in the ether. Your question and my answer are not very responsive.

"Best" is not a useful word without explanation. Best quality of machine regardless of its usefulness -- for example, 60 x 120 Zeiss ship's observation binocular weighs about 40 pounds. Nice optics though.

What do you want to do with the binocular? I expect several things, but what?

Where do you intend to use them? Heavy binocular at 12,000 feet of altitude while backpacking is, perhaps, not the best idea.

Is a binocular sufficient, or do you require integrated compass or mil scale range finder, or infrared detector, or special optical shielding, and so on.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm attempting to prevent you from investing in a superb product that is not satisfactory for your usage.

After owning, in many magnifications, Leitz Trinovids, Zeiss-Jena 7x40 EDFs, I now use exclusively Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IFs with F2 range finder.

This may not be close to what you need, but I wasted thousands upon thousands of dollars on first-quality binoculars before I understood what I wanted MY binocular to do -- and why.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline bb122

Binoculars
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
Take a look at the Nikon LXL's.  Awesome glass!!!!!!!  If weight is not an issue find a pair of the Nikon LX's.  Great glass as any price.  I love mine.