Author Topic: Another Walther P99 question???  (Read 444 times)

Offline ShottieMan

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Another Walther P99 question???
« on: January 30, 2005, 02:05:03 PM »
I just purchased a Walther P99 QA. Took it to the range and shot about 50 rounds through it. My question is this. All the rounds that I fired were really low. I changed the front sight thinking that mabye a shorter sight in the front will help me bring the gun up more. Are there any informative websites that will help me improve my stance (if this is the problem)? Any help would be appreciated. When lining up the sights, Are you supposed to line up all 3 of the dots, or is the front supposed to be aimed higher. I am more used to shotguns and rifles, not much expierience with pistols. Thanx guys.

Forgot to mention that I was shooting at 25 yards.

Offline strider72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 05:38:42 PM »
You may have a flinch...been there done that.  What load are you using? If not that just aim a little higher and get used to it.

Offline ShottieMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 07:58:56 PM »
You may have a flinch...been there done that. What load are you using? If not that just aim a little higher and get used to it.

Winchester 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ. I was thinking mabye a flinch too! Was there anything special that you did to stop the flinch?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 03:03:29 AM »
ShottieMan:  Were your shots single action or double action.  With double action I can understand low hitting shots but with single action, if you are hitting low I would say you have developed a case of the flinches.

I would ask a good shooting buddy to come to the range with me and to load the pistol with one round in each magazine and have him trick you as to whether he has chambered one or not.  With an empty chamber and, subsequently no recoil, you should see if you flinch or not when you drop the hammer.  

If you have the flinches then you just need more practice.  Since those Walthers are double/single action, you can practice at home with an empty fired case in the chamber and develop your shooting grip and trigger release techniques.  I used to do that in front of a mirror so I could keep the sights focused on the bore of the barrel, so that every time I dropped the hammer the sights wouldn't move.  After practice I would go to the range and my scores and hits would improve.  It worked for me and hth.  Mikey.

Offline ShottieMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 06:54:03 AM »
I have the QA which I believe is the Double action only. I am heading to the range today so I will post how it went!

Offline ShottieMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:45:36 AM »
Well, Here is the verdict. I am a Bonehead  :roll:   I shoot right handed which means aim with your right eye, I was aiming with my left   :lol:
I do have a slight flinch to work on (I get a little excited) But I believe that mabye I was missing altogether and not shooting low due to using the wrong eye. Put over half of my shots on paper today tho'.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 10:49:11 AM »
Congrats on your purchase Shottiman...That P99 is a sharp looking gun.  Good luck with your shooting.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline ShottieMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 12:04:59 PM »
Thanx Whitetailer! It is very comfortable. I have normal sized hands but suffer from stubby fingers. The added backstraps was a plus (Had to install the smallest of the bunch for a nice tight fit). I would recommend this pistol to anyone.