Author Topic: Washington state legislature may ban some guns  (Read 550 times)

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Washington state legislature may ban some guns
« on: January 28, 2005, 06:00:33 PM »
If you live in Washington, you'd better read this.  It will have an effect on handgun owners, especially the safe storage bill and anti-gun show bill.

Please write polite emails to your state reps, letting them know what you think.

http://www.olyarms.com/?page=legislative_alert
NRA life member

Offline Wolfe

• Trade Count: (0)
Washington state legislature may ban some g
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 07:21:31 PM »
Aw man I don't wanna have to move.....Thanks for the heads up leverfan

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 04:54:47 AM »
You're welcome, and I don't want to have to move to Idaho, either. :)

The thanks should really go to Wilbe Lead, another poster on this site.  He told me about this in a phone call yesterday, and I wouldn't have heard about this stealthy move if he hadn't told me.  The news isn't exactly carrying this story (I wonder why).
NRA life member

Offline Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 07:09:25 AM »
There is a thread on glock talk about this as well. I went ahead and fired off emails to my reps and senators. So far I've recieved one response.

Dear Kevin,
     I agree with you and I too am hopeful there are no legislative proposals.   They become so controversial that everyone gets bogged down in the rhetoric and it become very hard to get the work we need to get accomplished done.
Sincerely,
Kathy Haigh

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 07:11:34 PM »
Sounds like Washington wants to become the Peoples Republic of Northern Kalifornia!  They did vote blue.  I thought after the Brady sunset and it being proven that it had no effect on crime, that this 'assult weapon' foolishness would cease.  I guess they want our guns no matter what ploy they have to use.  Good luck up there.  (We voted blue here in Michigan too, but when you look at the county map, 90% of Michigan was red.  Only Detroit and area voted blue.  Too many labor unions and unthinking 'my dad always voted Democrat, it's the 'working mans' party)  Unfortunate that it seems to be the 'Let's do it the way Europe does' Elitist's party nowdays.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 08:59:04 PM »
Only about 8 counties out of 40 or so always vote democrat here in Washington.  Unfortunately, those counties include major population centers.  All of these anti gun bills are being sponsored by urban democrats from the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area.  We've smacked them down before, even when Bill Gates himself bankrolled an anti gun measure and got it on the popular ballot.  Something like 60 or 70 percent of the voters were against it.  Most of the state law makers value their jobs too much to vote anti gun, but they need reminders, from time to time.

FWIW, all the local reps from my neck of the woods are democrats, but they all have A or A- ratings from the NRA.  They know where their bread is buttered.
NRA life member

Offline Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 03:48:38 AM »
Here's another reply someone recieved from another forum.

Thank you for writing to me regarding measures introduced in the Senate dealing with the regulation of firearms.

As you are aware, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a public hearing on this proposed legislation on Tuesday, January 25.

Testimony was taken on the following bills:
Senate Bill 5344 - prohibiting firearms in the Legislative Building Draft Senate Bill S-0541.1 - banning .50 caliber guns Senate Bill 5343 - requiring background checks and waiting periods for all guns purchased at gun shows Senate Bill 5342 - imposing criminal liability on adults who leave firearms accessible to minors Senate Bill 5475 - banning assault weapons Senate Bill 5131 - considering a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity the same as a verdict of guilty for purposes of a person's right to possess a firearm Draft Senate Bill S-0032.1 - allowing members of the armed forces stationed out of state to renew concealed weapons permits after the expiration date without penalty

The chair of the committee made every effort to hear equal testimony from both sides on each bill. Although there was sincere and well-meaning testimony in favor of SB 5344, S-0541.1, SB 5343, SB 5342 and SB 5475, no compelling arguments were made for their adoption.

I agree with you, and believe the bills attempting to reduce a person's Second Amendment rights are not well-grounded. To infringe on these is a serious step and must be justified with hard data. I also suspect that these bills will have a hard time garnering the 25 votes to needed to pass in the Senate if these bills come to the Floor, especially the outright bans and restrictions on gun show sales.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope this information has been helpful.

Sincerely,

Senator Bill Finkbeiner - 45th Legislative District
314 LEG - P O Box 40445, Olympia, WA 98504-0445
(360) 786-7672 Fax: (360) 786-1266
Toll Free Hotline: 1-800-562-6000
E-Mail: finkbeiner.bill@leg.wa.gov

http://www.src.wa.gov/2004/Members/Finkbeiner2004.htm