Author Topic: Perhaps it be time to depart  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Perhaps it be time to depart
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:50:14 PM »
Dali Llama say it appear that it may be time for him to depart, as he apparently be unwelcome in these parts.  Dali say it unfortunate that so many do not appreciate his contributions and commentary, and even inappropriately take them as personal affront.  Dali say he intend no ill will and only call it like he see it, but that seem be unacceptable here. :D
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 02:23:41 PM »
Anyone interested in a "Return of Dali" pool?

Five bucks an entry, ten day blackout to get set up, and the pool to go to supporting the forum if there is no return within 110 days?
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline whodowl

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 02:45:51 PM »
Well, I for one have enjoyed your posts Dali, and will hate to see you go.  You have created some lively exchanges and threads that have been entertaining, to say the least.  Sometimes I log on just for that reason.   :D

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 03:53:54 PM »
Stick around, Dali...enjoy your contributions...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BamBams

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, and Graybeard will correct me if I'm wrong, neither the moderators, or Graybeard have asked, or even encouraged, this person leave, nor have they told him that he is unwelcome here at any time.  Staying or leaving would be 100% his decision to make.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 04:46:26 PM »
Dali, you've had your moments, I'll say that much.  :grin:

But never bad enough to make me think or wish of your departure. Come on man, stick around. You make the forum interesting, and I MEAN INTERESTING  :P  :wink:. The decision is all yours, however.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline powderman

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 05:00:29 PM »
I hesitate to reply for fear of being thought of as being part of the problem, but will try anyway.
If you leave it will be of your own choosing, don't blame anyone but yourself. Personally, I have a real problem conversing with someone that NOTHING is known about. No name, no state, no country, not even your sex. I don't know ANYBODY that paranoid. I also cannot converse with a child, at least that is what your speach sounds like. Speaking in the 3rd person aint cool. I get tired of the incessant baiting, asking, what do Powderman mean by----, whatever. You are plainly an intelligent individual, and sometimes have useful information. Even if you were from tibet, which you aint, you can plainly see how adults here talk,so don't try that foreigner crap.
Stay on the board, Speak ADULT english, quit baiting. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 06:28:29 PM »
Agreed with Whodowl, Ironglow, & Fishman.
Dali's overall intelect combined with his clear concise thoughts make him a pleasure to have aboard :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 06:28:58 PM »
To the best of my knowledge BamBams is correct. I've not suggested you leave and to the best of my knowledge neither have any of my moderators. If they did they didn't let me know they did so.

But Powderman is 100% correct. If you leave it's on your head and no one else. You've not been run off. Obviously you've read my private message to you by now. All I've asked is that you and I have a private conversation and gave you an option of three different venues in which we might do that. PMs, e-mail or telephone. The latter being my personal preference but I left the choice to you.

I've said to my moderators on this subject that I do not consider you to be any more at fault for what's been happening than I do those with whom you're having a problem. I feel all of you have in some ways acted rather childishly in your dealings with each other. Yet I feel each of you have something to add to the site and prefer all of you stay.

BUT there will be changes in the way you guys deal with each other. I'll call no names here. I'll deal with it one on one with the affected parties. I wish for you and I to first come to an understanding Dali and then I will do the same with the others. Since you are sorta on one side and them on the other side I feel I need to first talk it over with you. Then based on the understanding and agreement you and I reach I will let the others know what is expected and reach whatever agreement I can with them.

I think both sides in this (to me terribly petty) little flare up are equally guilty of childish behavior toward the other side. I think both sides are equally guilty of baiting the other side and both sides are equally guilty of falling into the trap once baited. I see no more guilt on one side than the other. I think in no case is what's happened reason for me to sent any of you away. I think you all have your good and bad side and all of you have contributions to make and the site would be less in your absence.

BUT you're NOT gonna keep on with what's been happening. The war will end one way or another. I feel quite certain that each of you other than Dali know who you are without me calling names here. You know if you're one he has picked at and you've picked back. I've seen it mostly as a game. A game of one upmanship mostly. Each wants to see how far they can push the other without exactly stepping over that thin line that causes me to take serious action. Each side wants to blame the other as bad guy.

When in reality I think all parties on both side are really enjoying the little game to no end. Each wants to win in the end but each would equally hate to actually see the game over. Well it is OVER one way or another. Now all we have to do is to decide what's next.

And that my cyber pals is up to you.

So Dali I say to you stay or go as you chose. I beg no one stay and run no one off unless they really ask me to thru their misdeeds. You have not yet asked me to run you off. You are free to do either and it really matters not to me which choice you make. But if you stay you and I WILL have a discussion. You can decide which of the options it takes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 06:55:44 PM »
Quote from: powderman
I hesitate to reply for fear of being thought of as being part of the problem, but will try anyway.
If you leave it will be of your own choosing, don't blame anyone but yourself. Personally, I have a real problem conversing with someone that NOTHING is known about. No name, no state, no country, not even your sex. I don't know ANYBODY that paranoid. I also cannot converse with a child, at least that is what your speach sounds like. Speaking in the 3rd person aint cool. I get tired of the incessant baiting, asking, what do Powderman mean by----, whatever. You are plainly an intelligent individual, and sometimes have useful information. Even if you were from tibet, which you aint, you can plainly see how adults here talk,so don't try that foreigner crap.
Stay on the board, Speak ADULT english, quit baiting. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D

Powderman, last I checked you were sometimes just as bad as far as the baiting was concerned. One better look in the mirror before he make really dumb remark. And for God's sakes, if the man wants to talk in 3rd person let him. God forbid he be different. It can be annoying at times, but boo hoo.
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 03:19:02 AM »
Dali-
I personally have no concerns with you or if you stay, if you choose either path it is a decision you must make.
If you are asking for thoughts, and it appears to me that you are, I would answer.
It is most difficult to communicate with you and on the same token I wish you would communicate more clearly with us. I know you think you do but, for me, I have need to read into your short replys as best I can. I wish you found it within yourself to try and explain your thoughts more fully.
I know you will defend yourself by saying I am not intelligent enough, and I would have to agree.
I, and others, have taken what you reveal and when answering have had you exclaim that you were misunderstood or we should have know your thoughts. My wife, the Hen, is often this way. You do seem to waffel in order to bait.
I will go thru life just fine with or without you but that should not be taken to say you do not matter.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline magooch

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 05:29:26 AM »
Dali--please don't go and don't change a thing.  I think this forum would be much less interesting without you.

If you can't be persuaded to stick around, at least let us know where you're going; I'll be there.
Swingem

Offline BamBams

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 05:51:47 AM »
One of the reasons I surrendered my moderator hat was to be able to reply to posts exactly like this.

Don't be taken in by this deceitful nonsense fellas.  Nobody has done anything to Dali to make him feel unwelcome here.  As you can clearly see, he's gotten plenty of encouragement to stay.  

What IS happening is that he's just really miffed, and embarrassed,  that he can no longer do and say whatever he wants around here without taking responsibility for it - ie baiting people, starting flames, and dragging threads down the toilet. He's playing members like a fiddle with a sympathy card.  Without all of the nonsense, this place must seem like a lot less fun for him.  IF he leaves, those will be the reasons, and you can take it to the bank my friends!  He's never been reprimanded for any of his opinions, news items, talking in the 3rd person, etc. He was only told to stop making personal attacks on people and deliberately inciting trouble.

As for the others who "were" getting into it with him.  Thank you all for seriously trying to behave yourselves - I know how hard that can be given the provocations of the member at issue.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline chuckles

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 05:57:42 AM »
magooch wrote:
Dali--please don't go and don't change a thing. I think this forum would be much less interesting without you.

If you can't be persuaded to stick around, at least let us know where you're going; I'll be there.

I agree 100%. Some folks are just plain intolerant of views and mannerisms that aren't exactly like theirs. Don't let them run you off. We enjoy hearing from everyone here. Stick around. :D  8)

Offline chuckles

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 06:03:53 AM »
BamBams wrote:
Don't be taken in by this deceitful nonsense fellas

Obviously the surrendering of the "moderator's hat of impartiality" was the correct decision in this case. I just don't see the value of responding in this manner. :(  :(  :(

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 06:04:28 AM »
Well BM,several of us have heard this whimper several times before over the years and it never comes to pass without a push.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 06:30:01 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
One of the reasons I surrendered my moderator hat was to be able to reply to posts exactly like this.

Don't be taken in by this deceitful nonsense fellas.  Nobody has done anything to Dali to make him feel unwelcome here.  As you can clearly see, he's gotten plenty of encouragement to stay.  

What IS happening is that he's just really miffed, and embarrassed,  that he can no longer do and say whatever he wants around here without taking responsibility for it - ie baiting people, starting flames, and dragging threads down the toilet. He's playing members like a fiddle with a sympathy card.  Without all of the nonsense, this place must seem like a lot less fun for him.  IF he leaves, those will be the reasons, and you can take it to the bank my friends!  He's never been reprimanded for any of his opinions, news items, talking in the 3rd person, etc. He was only told to stop making personal attacks on people and deliberately inciting trouble - something he clearly cannot live without doing on the Internet.

As for the others who "were" getting into it with him.  Thank you all for seriously trying to behave yourselves - I know how hard that can be given the provocations of the member at issue.

BM (as wizard calls ya), I do agree with you 200% on the fact tryin to stir up trouble and the baiting is indeed bull. I've never seen it anywhere else but here. And it's not in empty supply either. So that needs to be taken care of if it shall continue. But Dali, minus some of the stuff you have taken part in that should have had your account deactivated along time ago, you're an OK guy. The third person is something different, you should keep it. Never let anybody tell you you shouldn't do something. So overall you're personality is great, just stop the kindergarten bull.
JP

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 06:32:00 AM »
Dali,

I always appreciate your surfing and coming up with the interesting news stories pertaining to firearms (usually), which saves the rest of us countless hours of sorting through and reading, to find what you provide. Your sense of humor, when you use it, is very keen. I've had many a laugh provided by you. Your many absences of a few weeks always makes me wonder if something happened to you.

On the other hand, I sure wouldn't want to carpool with you since you're apparently so easily offended. I'd probably have to sit quietly and let you do all the talking. Then again, maybe my wife wouldn't allow me to ride with you unless we're the same gender.

To close, I'd say stick around. I think many more members here would miss you than those that wouldn't.

Evening Edit follows-

Dali, Your advice is needed in the rimfire forum, someone's having jamming troubles with your favorite Marlin model.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 06:33:16 AM »
Quote from: chuckles
BamBams wrote:
Don't be taken in by this deceitful nonsense fellas

Obviously the surrendering of the "moderator's hat of impartiality" was the correct decision in this case. I just don't see the value of responding in this manner. :(  :(  :(

Then you're essentially saying that you don't see the value of having truth prevail in all matters.  Either deceit or truth - take your pick.  It's not a matter of partiality, but yes, surrendering the moderator hat was indeed the right thing for me to do.  I will do whatever is necessary to ensure I wind up on the correct side of things.

So you think moderators aren't entitled to opinions just like everyone else?  I never let my opinions of Dali determine what course of action to take in dealing with him. He was always treated very fairly and IMPARTIALLY by me and others.  I treated everyone equally while I wore that hat.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2005, 06:57:51 AM »
Regardless of the personal views of any one given GBO member regarding this issue the consensus was it was time for me to step in and end the bickering between Dali and a small group of other members. I have taken the first step in that.

Some feel Dali is responsible. I feel all parties must share the blame equally. I see him no more to blame than those he baits and who bait him in return. There are no innocents in the little war of words that has been going on.

While I personally feel it was innocent enough and at times even funny not all share that view and have called on me to end it. So end it will. If Dali stays he will be agreeing to the end on his part. All other parties must equally agree to same terms of non agreesion. Any who cannot avoid the continuation of the conflict will have to depart. That applies to Dali but no less so to each of you who've been involved directly in this with him.

It is my intent to address this directly to as many of the folks who are directly involved as I can come up with names to do so. But I will make a blanket post later to address it fully to one and all who's names might escape me.

Dali will bait no one and no one will bait him. He will ignore those who wish to irritate him and they will ignore him. Either by adding each other to the lists or by just not responding. I'll explaian the full workings of this later after I hear back from Dali on whether he agrees and stays or leaves.

But the GBO rules are going to be followed on this forum. Nuff said.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BamBams

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 07:08:33 AM »
This is great news GB!

I am greatly encouraged by what you have shared. Please allow me to be the first to say that I, for one, will never taunt Dali or start any garbage with him, if he agrees to never start any with me either.  Where do I sign?

Also, I've gotta say that you are a superb leader GB.  You have handled this matter like the true professional you clearly are.  THANKS!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2005, 07:16:59 AM »
I am greatly encouraged by what you have shared. Please allow me to be the first to say that I, for one, will never taunt Dali or start any garbage with him, if he agrees to never start any with me either. Where do I sign?

You have. That's good enough for me. It's all I expect from any of the involved parties and that includes but is not limited to Dali. He is still deciding if he wishes to do the same.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 09:38:50 AM »
Thank you Mr. Graybeard for so clearly expaining your views and for providing a resolution to this current minor issue.

This isn't the first forum where Dali's choices and selected lamentations have come down to the several exercises that we see here.  Not to put the fault on Dali, but for whatever reason he, more times than not, ends up being the pivot man in these little discussions.

By now, everybody knows the exercise and has seen the show, at least the former Marlin Talk crew has.

A lot of this results from established relationships on other forums prior to some of us landing here at GBO.  The issue isn't the rules, it's that some folks just can't help but to dredge up old animosities when they get into a twist.  That includes the fellows who have been moderating.

I got nothin' against Dali.  He and I had our go at each other on previous forums and I hope that we're past it.  But I have no illusions but that your rules here at GBO are probably what has kept us from going at it fresh.  Thanks.

I don't think Dali needs to bail out or run off.  I know that the enforcement of the rules isn't personal, and with just a bit of reflection, I'm sure that Dali is reasonable enough to come to the same conclusion.

Anyway, thanks for letting me add my two cents.

You've got a great forum Mr. Graybeard, I for one truly appreciate your hospitality.  I appreciate your mature and even-handed application of forum administration.

Let's get past it guys.  We've been down this road one too many times.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 10:33:09 AM »
I for one have always liked Dali's post on newsclippings ect. While Dali and I have had problems in the past and was darn near at war we now get along so it can be done guys.  :grin: Life is too dang short to get your shorts in a bundle over minor computer stuff!

BamBams while I know of your Frustration moderating this site Think of the Headaches GB has to endure.  :shock: Some folks just cannot get along and that is understandable but as long as every one follows the rules set down by GB it should not be that hard to get along here. Some of the sites here never has any problems so it can be done. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2005, 10:51:35 AM »
BamBams while I know of your Frustration moderating this site Think of the Headaches GB has to endure.  :shock: Some folks just cannot get along and that is understandable but as long as every one follows the rules set down by GB it should not be that hard to get along here. Some of the sites here never has any problems so it can be done. Jim

Jim, I have thought about it.  In fact, the other night he gave me a glimpse into what it's like for him.  Maybe we can coax him into posting:

"A Day In The Life Of Graybeard"

I think a lot of folks would quit complaining about their problems after reading it.

*laugh*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2005, 11:58:14 AM »
Actually, I believe the Pastor talked about Graybeards resolution this morning. It is called Grace :D

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2005, 02:56:46 PM »
:grin: Dali Llama say he both humbled by and greatly appreciative of the support and encouragement offered by many of his fellow posters.  Dali say that he have many friends he respect here, and whose insightful posts and commentary he enjoy perusing. :grin:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk