Author Topic: IS IT A DEMOCRACY THAT IS WANTED OR A WORLD VIEW REPUBLIC?  (Read 723 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
IS IT A DEMOCRACY THAT IS WANTED OR A WORLD VIEW REPUBLIC?
« on: February 13, 2005, 09:09:05 AM »
Iraq is what we aret alking about. Do the people of the world matter in what is wanted in Iraq or is it those with a world view that want a Republic that can be controlled?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
IS IT A DEMOCRACY THAT IS WANTED OR A WORLD
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:42:15 AM »
Isn't the bottom line one government, one religion and one person in power?  When they say "All roads lead to Rome" they were not just giving directions to Little Ceasars.  Many small steps leading to the same place.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 10:52:21 AM »
'Not sure what you're getting at.  In nations, as with individuals, those with self discipline don't wind up needing discipline enforced from without.  Democracies tend to be more self disciplined.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:56:26 AM »
"Discipline" is the bully's excuse.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 11:20:56 AM »
The people of Iraq are what matters there. If they want democracy, well theyve got it now. Thing is if its not what they want all the bombs in the world wont matter.

I think its an ego thing & we as a nation need to feel the world thinks we did a good thing there.

IMO the world can suck an egg if they dont like it & in the future if someone else out there thinks they can do better they ought not wait till America raises its hackles.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 01:34:42 PM »
One thing that virtually the whole world is getting wrong...a "democracy" is one of the worst forms of government...we should hope that Iraq settles for either a republican or parlimentarian form of government...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 12:22:24 AM »
I see, just me think, that the real powers behind the scene want a nation they can do business with. One that will not threaten the economic sucess of world trade and eventually a world view economic sytem.
In this case folks the light at the end of the tunnel IS a freight train coming straight at you.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 12:51:52 PM »
Guess I have a very different view William..
  If the present difficulties in the Mid-east is what you're referring to (along with numerous other Islamoterrorist hot spots); I would rather think of that action as "self defense"...much as with the Axis powers of WW2.

If we had not stopped the Nazis and Imperial Japan...they would not have stopped before our defeat !
   The Islamoterrorists have the same goal in mind....they have already declared such....they are duty bound to destroy the "great satan"..

If one has even a rudimentary grasp of economics, he knows that faced with a series of 9/11 incidents, any national economy is extremely fragile.

Thus, the answer is simple...destroy them and their network ...or they destroy us..

Please recall...we suffered several incidents..The Khobar towers, the '92 World Trade Towers blast, the USS Cole attack etc, etc that were unanswered by the previous administration...
   That evidence alone says that uninterrupted, the enemy would have continued attacking with ever more daring and devastating results...

We had to act in self defense...or sit here and be destroyed...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Shorty

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 01:50:41 PM »
leftoverdj,
Self-discipline is how I lead a life that keeps myself and my family free from ; want (I go to work every day even if I don't want to), free from the police calling on me (I obey the laws), free from neighbors or coworkers or strangers harassing  me (I mind my manners and respect others).  Nations who practice self-discipline can have the same peace.   I think you may be confusing  discipline with punishment.

Offline truckah

representative republic
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 02:24:24 PM »
what our founding fathers designed is ingenious, a representative republic. democracy,  aka "mob rule"  is a poor substitute.  as to what we want in Iraq, or the rest of the world for that matter, is fewer terrorists. period.    

discipline is not "bullying" , nor is punishment. lack of discipline is anarchy.  i would rather have a good bully.  he, at least, would be willing to make a decision.

-dan
make a damn decision!

any risk of acting agressively is most certainly outweighed by the risk of sitting on your  butt and  acting like a liberal. :twisted:

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 11:02:40 PM »
Glow-
I really wasn't getting at anything. It was a question I thought would shed some light on expectations.
I would hope you are right but I just do not have that much faith in the eventual reality of that part of the process.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 12:13:25 AM »
People misunderstand our founding.  Our system of republican democracy was only possible because the people, culturally, embraced it.  The Colonists were the inheritors of over a thousand years of English common law, natural law, and the various philosophies that placed an emphasis on the individual and the English concept of the "citizen".  Democracy (in whatever form) is only possible over the long term when the folks are on the same basic page culturally.

As for Iraq, I worry about the long-term prospects for any form of representative democracy.