Author Topic: Cannon School - (Photos Added)  (Read 815 times)

Offline CAV Trooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cannon School - (Photos Added)
« on: May 04, 2005, 07:12:00 AM »
If anybody is interested, the National Park Service at the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine FL will be holding it's annual cannon school on May 21-22. Completion of the course allow's you to participate in live fire demonstrations that are held at the Castillo on most weekends.

Here's your chance to fire a full sized muzzle loading cannon on somebody else's dime.   :)  This is a really neat course and you'll learn a great deal about black powder artillery and how to shoot it safely.

Saturday is entirely classroom instruction. Sunday morning consists of strictly gun drill where you'll learn the proper steps for all four positions. Live fire starts after lunch with each student rotating through each crew position. Needless to say, A LOTof BP is burned up.   :-D

The course is FREE but there is a limit to the class size. Anybody that would like to attend should call Ranger Joe Brehm at 904-829-6506 extension 233 as soon as possible and inform him of that fact. If you get his voice mail, leave a message regarding your interest in the school and give a call back number. Joe is in charge of all BP cannon and musket activities at the Castillo and is a really cool guy.

Hope to see one or more of you there.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 02:27:26 PM »
And who says shooting cannons isn't a legitimate sport?

These folks are EARNING my tax dollars (well, if I lived in the area they would be).
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 05:55:41 PM »
Quote from: Cat Whisperer
And who says shooting cannons isn't a legitimate sport?
These folks are EARNING my tax dollars (well, if I lived in the area they would be).

Yeah...It's a tough job but somebody has to do it, right?  :-D  Since the NPS is a Federal agency it actually IS your tax dollars at work.

Just for grins, heres a couple of photos of night shots at Ft. Matanzas:

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Cannon School
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 10:50:41 AM »
Hello CAV Trooper,

Thanks for the Notice of the Cannon School. I just heard from Joe  Brehm, IÂ’m on the list   :grin:  for the Castillo. Love the Noise and Smell of Black Powder. See you there.  :D
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Re: Cannon School
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 02:29:26 PM »
Quote from: Cpt Ed
Hello CAV Trooper,

Thanks for the Notice of the Cannon School. I just heard from Joe  Brehm, IÂ’m on the list   :grin:  for the Castillo. Love the Noise and Smell of Black Powder. See you there.  :D

OUTSTANDING!! I can guarantee that you'll get plenty of noise and BP smoke. I fact, you'll have a blast! (pun intended :grin: ) See you Saturday morning.
Albert Einstein