Author Topic: Need advice on a slug gun  (Read 1051 times)

Offline RedRyder21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need advice on a slug gun
« on: February 12, 2005, 06:27:56 PM »
I need some advice quick. Since I am still new here I should tell everyone that I have a strange fascination with strange and wierd looking firearms.

Back to the topic, A local sporting goods store has a H&R bull barreled !2 gauge rifled slug gun for $199 marked down from $269. It was love at first site with this strange looking bull barreled beast.

Is $199 a...

average price?...

horrible price?...

deal of the century?...

what do all the H&R people think?

It dosent really matter though since I will be buying it this tuesday anyway :grin:
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 03:57:46 AM »
Redryder,
              Couple of questions,

1. Is it a Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe SB2-988 (Laminated stock and forend)

2. Or is it a Ultra Slug Hunter SB2-980 (Stained stock and forend)

You can order the USHD SB2-988 from Wally's world for $217.28 +tax.
and the USH SB-980 for $176.23 +tax.

Hope this helps
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline BoneDigger

So-SO
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 06:21:16 AM »
I just purchased a used Ultra slug 12 gauge, with a Mueller scope, Weaver rings, hardshell case, and a box of slugs for $175.  I would say that you should be able to negotiate the $199 pricetag.  Go to WalMart's website and print the page that showes their NEW price, then carry that with you when you negotiate.  Just my .02 cents.

Todd

Offline cidermann52

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 07:31:19 AM »
:D Hello
 If the gun is a SB2988 with the laminated stock and forpiece go for it  It should have the scope mount already mounted and you should get the offset hammer attachment.They are a great looking gun and fellow hunters will look twice to see what it is. (you can get the red color or green color ). I have the 20 ga.Ultra Slug( my preference from the 12 ga.) and it is one of the best shooting shotgun's I ever owned. It took me 8 months to find the one I wanted as they can be hard to find. I chose to buy from a dealer and saved on the shipping. Good Luck!

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:23:22 AM »
It is the one with the wood stock. I guess it is the 980. Do they both come with the scope mount on it?

I think I will pass up the wood stock and go for the laminated stock. Being this will be my first laminated stock, guess the hold up to weather and age pretty well.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 08:29:29 AM »
Yes they both come with the scope rail.  The tracker II is the H&R/NEF slug gun that has the rifle sights installed.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 02:54:50 AM »
The laminate stock will hold up to the weather...If you are worried about it then keep a nice coat of wax on it.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 06:33:31 AM »
Sounds good. I have been looking for a good rifle to use in foul weather and I hunt in a brushy area where shots are never past 20 yards. I love my savage rifle in .308, but is dosen't work all that well in the brush.

The heavy barrel SB2988 with the laminated stock and a low power scope sounds like a winner. I also want something new and diffrent to deer hunt with anyway.

Thanks for all the info.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 07:55:03 AM »
Another question for you RedRyder...Do you plan on stalking with this gun?  If so, maybe the Tracker II with the open rifle sites might be better for you.  Costs less, weighs less and is easier to carry around.  If your shots are going to be 20 yards you may have a hard time finding the deer in a scope but open rifle sites would be great.  A red dot site would work great too at that close of a range.  The Trackers do not come drilled and tapped but a quality smith could get that done for you.  The Tracker II is fully rifled just like the Ultra Slugger.  I have an Ultra Slugger because I like to sit still but I have friends that like to stalk and they prefer a lighter gun.

Let us know what you choose...

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 08:54:20 AM »
I agree with WNY_Whitetailer if your hunting in heavy cover and your shots are only 20yrds the tracker II might be just the number for you.  I own two trackers one in 12 ga and another in 20 ga.  The 12 I left as open sights but I had the 20 ga drilled and tapped for a scope rail and installed a 4x target sports compact scope on it. I have it sighted in for 50 yrds.  These guns are light, easy to shoulder and tack drivers. And don't think the 20 ga won't stop a deer in its tracks.  I soot the Remington buck hammer out of both mine.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 11:35:40 AM »
All good advice...

Has anyone here, been to the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield Missouri 10 or more years ago? In the old hunting department the had a old wood john boat set-up with a stuffed dummy hillbilly looking person holding an enormous shotgun which you could put your fist in the barrel and was the length of the john boat. They used this shotgun to shoot whole flocks of game birds in the Ozarks and other places while floating down the river.

When I saw the heavy barreled SB2 I had a flash back to some great memories of going though the Bass Pro with my parents and seeing the hillbilly.

I may just buy both the Tracker slug gun AND the SB2 with the bull barrel. I love shooting firearms and since I will only live once I want to shoot as many as I can.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 07:43:53 AM »
I may just buy both the Tracker slug gun AND the SB2 with the bull barrel. I love shooting firearms and since I will only live once I want to shoot as many as I can.

Sounds like a good motto to me...Buy'em up...

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 12:38:51 PM »
Quote from: WNY_Whitetailer

Sounds like a good motto to me...Buy'em up...

It is what I live by. Working in EMS and having a number of close friends die I changed my whole attitude on life and my love firearms.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 02:39:48 PM »
If you are truly only looking at 20 yard shots I would try to find an old smooth bore tracker and shoot the cheap slugs. 20 yards is the perfect range for the old foster slugs. I would also buy the others just for grins. they will give you a reason to hunt a different place or hunt the same place in a different way.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 03:00:48 AM »
Hmmmmm...I wasn't thinking smooth bore...That's a good idea too...Find a used one and have at it...Those rifled slugs are a heck of a lot cheaper than the sabots.

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 04:49:06 AM »
Quote from: Markus
If you are truly only looking at 20 yard shots I would try to find an old smooth bore tracker and shoot the cheap slugs. 20 yards is the perfect range for the old foster slugs. I would also buy the others just for grins. they will give you a reason to hunt a different place or hunt the same place in a different way.

Being new to NEF/H&R... I am assuming the "old" smoothbore tracker is not made anymore and out of production. If so, how easy or hard is it to find the smoothbore trackers?

I am sure I can find 'em on the online auction services, but I don't like not being able to look at it firsthand...

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 05:31:20 AM »
Oh yeah and by the way, slugs can be shot with the pardner? I was just wondering since it has the forcing cone. I ask since I am overly cautious with firearms, especially new firearms I have never had or shot before.

Don't ask why I wan to shoot slugs out of a Pardner, I really don't know myself.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 11:45:11 AM »
GOOD call Markus I didn't even think of a smooth bore for him but your right at those ranges it would be perfect.  Heck now I think I'm gonna go out and get a box of foster type slugs and see how they shoot out of my 20 ga.  Its got a Mod choke so it should throw them pretty good.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 12:28:25 PM »
RedRyder21, A Pardner with a modified choke will shoot foster style slugs great!!! And even a full choke will shoot some of the smaller diameter slugs pretty good, more than accurate enough for the ranges you talk about. At 20-30 yards you should be able to shoot them into one big ragged hole even with the bead front sight!!! The worst you should expect is 3" groups at 30 yards....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 02:54:26 AM »
Foster slugs are Rifled slugs correct? :?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 04:12:12 AM »
Quote from: RedRyder21
Foster slugs are Rifled slugs correct? :?

Correct! :grin: Well, at least all of the factory loaded offerings are such as Remington, Winchester and Federal. The Rottweil Brenneke MP is another very good rifled slug that is my favorite in a smooth bore.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 04:31:52 AM »
Quote from: RedRyder21
Oh yeah and by the way, slugs can be shot with the pardner? I was just wondering since it has the forcing cone. I ask since I am overly cautious with firearms, especially new firearms I have never had or shot before.

Don't ask why I wan to shoot slugs out of a Pardner, I really don't know myself.

The Pardner will shoot slugs, usually pretty well. I have a pardner youth model 20 ga. 22" mod. and it shoots what I consider good groups for a smoothbore out to about 75 yds.  At 50 yards it keeps the winchester slugs inside a coffee can lid. My last 6 gun deer have been taken with this pardner w/bead site.

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 05:23:10 AM »
Thanks for all the help. You all have pretty much answered all of my questions for now! :grin:

Offline tennesseejeff

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »
WNY, I think you're right on the tape. If I can develop a good consistent hold that oughta be good enough.

Actually Cookieman, it was your post about the mid bead that got me to thinking about it a little more. Wouldn't a target match be a hoot? 50 yards offhand, smoothbore, bead sight and factory ammo.

Offline tennesseejeff

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 12:47:28 PM »
Opps, disregard that last. Posted to the wrong thread. :oops: