Author Topic: Bush Is Gonna Try To Cut 120 Government Programs?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Bush Is Gonna Try To Cut 120 Government Programs?
« on: February 05, 2005, 02:52:50 PM »
Did I hear him say that the other night, or was I dreaming it?  If I wasn't dreaming it, then I wasn't dreaming all the frowns on the dumocraps faces either.

So what is he gonna cut?  What kind of federal programs are useless?

Maybe it's time we should start emailing the White House with suggestions?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Bush Is Gonna Try To Cut 120 Government Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 03:12:32 PM »
Here's a start;

1. National Endowment for the Arts

2. National Education Assn.

3. PBS ( either cut it or teach it to be " fair & balanced".)

4.  myriad of pork barrel "research" programs.

5. Cut off any funds to the ..Anti Christian Liars Union.

6. Leave the UN ( Useless Nothing).
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Gunsmoke

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 05:54:05 PM »
Amen to that Ironglow!
"Those that would trade liberty for security, deserve neither". Ben Franklin

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 03:28:05 AM »
Good start Ironglow.  I would add SSI, Medicaid and foreign aid to the list.  I'm not holding my breath.
Swingem

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 06:32:57 AM »
They could save billions of dollars by putting kibosh to welfare fraud. BUT no one NOT even GBW has the gonads to do it. I see this crap every day. People who could and should be out working, are not because it pays more and is alot easer to sit at home and collect a check. And get all their medical bills paid for. They can go to the ER anytime day or night for anything they want and it doesnt cost them a dime. You can be "disabled" because you were stupid enough to stick a needle in your arm, and now you cant work because you have screwed your health up so bad. WE PAY FOR IT FOLKS!

I would suggest the way to save at least some money, would be to make our welfare people pay the difference between the ER visit and an office visit for NON EMERGENT visits. Lets say an ofice visit is $45.00 and an ER visit is $150.00+, if you come into the ER for a sore throat, or some BS that has been going for 3 months, the difference gets subtracted from your next welfare check. BUT I will bet that NO ONE will do it. Just doing that alone would save the tax payers billions each year. But with our current sysytem the more irresponsible you are the greater the reward.

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 09:38:54 AM »
IRONGLOW. Great start. Quit welfare handouts to ALLLLLLLL non citizens. No money, no free food, no free medical care, NUTTIN. WElfare fraud takes a lot of money away from people that really need help. There are plenty of govt studies I could do without. Unscrupulous Contractors are a big drain on our hard earned tax $s too, $1,000 toilet seats and $500 hammers we can do without. Contractors that do these things should NEVER get another contract. I saw where one company charged several hundred $s for the little rubber cups that go on the bottom of chair legs, just gave them a fancy name. GET OUT OF THE UN. YEEESSSSS. Big bucks saved there. POWDERMAN.  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 10:42:56 AM »
I'm sure that Bush's attempt to cut 120 programs must have caused Nancy Pelosi's eyes to blink for the first time in 3 years.  Can you imagine being married to that woman?

Bush will have a heck of a fight on this one as each program has a built-in constituency that will act as though the world is ending.  Too bad he can't just tell every govt agency that their budget is being cut 25% across the board (with the exception of the INS, DOD, AND the CIA, IMHO).

It would be great to have a Supreme Court that interpreted the Commerce Clause the way it was intended.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 01:56:08 PM »
Same on GW.  

Until this country stops paying countries like Egypt billions a year just to behave how dare he even consider cutting anything else?  

Yes, people are getting welfare that shouldn't but that is small potatoes folks.    

How much you think the welfare state of Saudi Arabia will get this year?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 02:16:08 PM »
I wonder, now that the world has seen our resolve in Iraq, what would happen if we were to stop all foreign aid and we told the world that we have had enough of being pushed around and all that money will now be going into the military budget.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 03:18:12 PM »
Quote from: ironglow
Here's a start;

1. National Endowment for the Arts

2. National Education Assn.

3. PBS ( either cut it or teach it to be " fair & balanced".)

4.  myriad of pork barrel "research" programs.

5. Cut off any funds to the ..Anti Christian Liars Union.

6. Leave the UN ( Useless Nothing).
Shut down  the  PETA, and  send  Michael  Moron to  Mars.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline powderman

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 03:32:27 PM »
Theres no reason for us to be sending ANY aid to saudi arabia. They are involved in terrorism too, at least they help bankroll it. Give guns to the poor, they will take care of the rest. POWDERMAN.  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline magooch

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 06:06:46 AM »
Quote from: powderman
Theres no reason for us to be sending ANY aid to saudi arabia. They are involved in terrorism too, at least they help bankroll it. Give guns to the poor, they will take care of the rest. POWDERMAN.  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x

I'd be very shocked if Saudi Arabia is getting any aid.  Call me a skeptic, but I don't think so.

At any rate, more power to the Pres.
Swingem

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 12:42:48 PM »
Saudi arabia got 6 billion last year....That's a B as in  B I L L I O N.  

Egypt got over 8 billion last year....  

No wonder we are broke.  

Until this stops I can never agree with ANY president that tries to cut domestic spending.  At least the money is being spent here.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline BamBams

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 06:45:33 PM »
Wasted money is wasted money.....no matter where it is wasted.  I'm totally for downsizing out government - to the point where congress should be a "volunteer" position with zero salary and zero retirement. If ya think those yahoos up there aren't in it for just the money, then watch where they go when there isn't any gravy train to ride....ahem....since they refuse to agree to term limits and vote themselves pay raises at midnight on huge salaries to begin with.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 03:24:45 AM »
BamsBams,
He is NOT spending less...He is spending MORE!!! and he is also shifting more Federal control to the state level.  This man is big government all the way...

Read this....

Bush maintains a stated desire to streamline the government. On Monday, he sent Congress a budget that would eliminate or consolidate 150 programs. But a growing number of conservatives are uneasy with what they deride as "big-government conservatism."

"He keeps expanding the federal involvement into state and local affairs," said Chris Edwards, a tax and budget expert at the Cato Institute, a think tank that often supports the president's agenda. "My hope would be that there would be an electoral rebuke of big [-government] Republicans like there was when the tectonic plates shifted in 1994."

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), said: "The Republican majority, left to its own devices from 1995 to 2000, was a party committed to limited government and restoring the balances of federalism with the states. Clearly, President Bush has had a different vision, and that vision has resulted in education and welfare policies that have increased the size and scope of government."

'A non-starter'
Pence, an influential leader of House conservatives, said 50 Republicans gathered in Baltimore this past week and discussed, among other things, an overwhelming desire to protest the expansion of government by opposing Bush's education plan for high school students. While only 33 House Republicans opposed the No Child Left Behind law in the first term, Pence predicted that a significantly larger number will vote against expanding the program to cover high schools. Michael Franc of the Heritage Foundation, a pro-Bush think tank, agreed. "It's a non-starter" in the minds of a large number of Republicans, he said.

In many ways, Bush is simply accelerating the trend toward a bigger, more activist government that was started early in his presidency. Bush not only greatly expanded the federal education system with the No Child Left Behind law, but he also signed the largest expansion of Medicare benefits when he added prescription drug coverage to the program in 2003. The Medicare plan alone is now estimated to cost at least $720 billion over the next decade. Reacting to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Bush created the Department of Homeland Security, provided the federal government broad surveillance powers through the USA Patriot Act, and requested a significantly larger national defense budget.

All of this is a far cry from Republican dogma circa 1995 -- the year of the Republican Revolution. Back then, GOP leaders from Sen. Robert J. Dole (Kan.) to House Speaker Newt Gingrich (Ga.) talked of eliminating entire Cabinet departments, including Education, shrinking government, and returning power to the states and the people.

Offline magooch

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 04:25:39 AM »
brdavis,
It sounds like you're getting your information from the Dumbocrap playbook.  There's no kind way to say this [the rest has been deleted]

Magooch....

Nothing personal, but we have rules around here.  Attack the argument all you want, but not the person...etc etc. Thanks
Swingem

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 02:31:49 PM »
The truth is the truth.  The Fed is bigger than ever with even more programs.  Now, what little money left in the pot is being taken any form people who need it to support that ever growing Federal Giant.

Until I see a President truly downsize it's all a bunch of lip service regardless from which party says it.  I for one hope that people will see past the party lines and see it for what it is.

This is proof to me that neither party wants less government.  They just want more government in different ways.