Author Topic: Starting Out with Cap n' Ball  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Rodeo Rustler

• Trade Count: (0)
Starting Out with Cap n' Ball
« on: December 21, 2004, 12:42:57 PM »
Hey All,

I have gotten interested in cap n' ball revolvers but am not sure what the "best" brand is to buy.  I think I want a 51 Navy .36 cal or a 60 Army .44 cal.  I have been reading the forum and I think it is better to buy a steel framed revolver.  Will full loads still hurt the steel and alter accuracy after time?  

Also, I've basically seen it is a toss up between Uberti and Pietta makers.  I have seen a "Traditions" 51 Navy in the local gun store...is Traditions Uberti or Pietta??  I looked on their website but couldn't find who makes them.  Any help is always appreciated. thanks!!

Rodeo Rustler

Offline Mark whiz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 02:50:11 PM »
All the Traditions I've seen are Piettas................for what that is worth.

An all-steel frame will be more durable.

If you go with the strapless Colt design, shooting max loads all the time will eventually affect accuracy as the gap between the cylinder & bore will increase with time.
"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)
Aim small.........miss small.
Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 10:59:04 AM »
I bought a Traditions in 1860 Colt Army. It is Pietta. I like it.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Cabelas Pistols
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 01:15:04 PM »
I have purchased several pistols from Cabelas.  The Pietta revolvers I have are first rate!  I have a navy that is accurate enough to make head shots on squirrels from 15 yards!  It's killed a Fox as well.

I have a Remmy target model that will shoot honest 2" groups at 25 yards with 777 and wonder wads.

Dan C

Offline montanadan

RODEO RUSTLER- CB PISTOLS
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 03:25:28 AM »
Rodeo rustler I would go back and read MEC and Gatofeo posts, maybe will give you a little more insight before you purchase. I am by no means an expert! However I own and shoot both Pietta and Uberti , buy the Uberti, hands down better fit ,finish,timing,(having said this) Iam sure, Pietta owners will totally dissagree with me! The new Uberti pistols are about as good as you are going to get in a mass produced CB pistol.Colt vs. Remmie, will not even go there, both will shoot well and give good service for many years (if you do your part). Cleaning and maintenance very important. Out of the box I would buy the Uberti, hope this helps, have fun and good shooting. Resectfully Montanadan (wearing the nomex underwear)

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 04:04:36 AM »
Montanadan, you will need that Nomex because I am gonna flame you until your panties catch fire.
Anyway, Uberti vs Pietta is an endless source of debate.
Last I checked, Gatofeo liked Pietta. Did he have a change of heart?
Aim small don't miss.

Offline montanadan

Simonkenton- CB
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 04:23:46 AM »
Simonkenton- I think we both know if can not handle these pistols before purchase....You lays your money down and takes your chances. That being said I think out of the box Uberti may be better. Anything better than nomex? Respectfully Montanadan

Offline Rodeo Rustler

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 04:42:43 PM »
Hey guys..Thanks a million for all the input.  I am leaning torwards Uberti 51 Navy from Taylor Firearms, but I got one more question though -

Do 51 Navies come with STEEL backstraps and trigger guards or only 61 Navies?  If my thinking is correct - the 51 Navies originally came with brass backstraps and trigger gurard because of the lower recoil .36 cal.  Then the 61 Navies had steel because of the .44 cal.  Let me know if my thinking is correct.  Thanks again.

RR

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 12:37:40 PM »
I agree with the Pietta it is best to put your hands on the gun before purchase to make sure it locks up tight etc.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 02:35:47 PM »
'61 Navies were all made in .36 caliber. The difference was in the barrel
profile, the '61s have the more streamlined look. The receivers, cylinders,
grips nd so forth are the same as the '51 Navy.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 01:30:21 PM »
"Last I checked, Gatofeo liked Pietta. Did he have a change of heart?"
--- Simonkenton

<Gatofeo rouses from a sound sleep> <blink> <blink> Did someone mention cap and ball revolvers?

Actually, I have a copy of the 1860 Colt, made by Pietta and marketed by Traditions. It's well made and finished. Accurate too.
I also own an Uberti copy of the Remington .44, with steel frame.
The Uberti is very slightly better made than the Pietta, but you have to scrutinize to find it.
For the beginner, I think a recently made Pietta would work fine. But if you can afford an Uberti, go for it.
For the beginner, I like the Colt 1851 or Colt 1861, both in .36 caliber, or the Remington Army in .44 caliber. All are easy to load, maintain and clean.
Either caliber is good for plinking or target work, though the sights on most cap and ball revolvers are crude by modern standards. An exception is the Ruger Old Army or copies of the Remington bearing modern Patridge sights.
I don't think a beginner can go wrong with the Colt 1851 or 1861 Navy. I'd lean toward the 1861, as it is basically an improved 1851 with a better loading lever and more clearance to load conical bullets should you desire.
But like any handgun, I concur that it is far better to get it in your hands to see how it feels, before you purchase. Years ago I was all hot to buy a Ruger P89 semi-auto pistol - until I actually picked one up. Felt like a chipped brick in my hands. I bought a Kimber Custom Classic Target instead, on the classic 1911 frame. It just felt better in my hand.
And therein lies much of the accuracy of handguns --- if it feels good in your hand, and you're comfortable with it, chances are you'll shoot it better than a handgun that somehow doesn't feel right.
However, never met anyone who complained about the feel, balance or pointability of the Colt design. The 1851 or 1861 Navies are particularly good in this respect.

This said, let me go back to sleep. Now, where was I? ... oh yeah ... I won the Lottery, opened a gun store and hired Playboy Bunnies as employees ... ahhhhhhhhhh ... :lol:
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Rodeo Rustler

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 09:58:24 AM »
Well...i ended up buying a 51 navy from cabelas, 36 cal.  I sure do like it!!  I was surprised at the accuracy too.  Thanks for all you guys' help

RR

Offline Ringo Steele

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 02:51:19 PM »
Quote from: Rodeo Rustler
Hey guys..Thanks a million for all the input.  I am leaning torwards Uberti 51 Navy from Taylor Firearms, but I got one more question though -

Do 51 Navies come with STEEL backstraps and trigger guards or only 61 Navies?  If my thinking is correct - the 51 Navies originally came with brass backstraps and trigger gurard because of the lower recoil .36 cal.  Then the 61 Navies had steel because of the .44 cal.  Let me know if my thinking is correct.  Thanks again.

RR

The '61 navy comes with the steel backstrap and trigger guard in the military version, or with a brass backstrap and triggerguard in the "civilian' version. The military version also has the sholder stock screws and cutout in the gripframe btton strap. The civilian version doesn't have the sholder stock screws.