Author Topic: 210 Yard shot with my 1100 shotgun sluger  (Read 2017 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
210 Yard shot with my 1100 shotgun sluger
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2004, 04:25:22 AM »
Excellent shot w/ the slug...congrats :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
slug shootin'
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2004, 11:03:37 AM »
Congrats all around on the harvest and the fine shooting.  I own 240 acres of the finest deer/turkey habitat Iowa has but because I live a couple hours away in Missouri it costs me over $400 a year in out-of-state fees to hunt there.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline JPSaxMan

Re: slug shootin'
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2004, 11:45:16 AM »
Quote from: clodbuster
Congrats all around on the harvest and the fine shooting.  I own 240 acres of the finest deer/turkey habitat Iowa has but because I live a couple hours away in Missouri it costs me over $400 a year in out-of-state fees to hunt there.

I really hope it's worth it :eek:!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2004, 12:14:10 PM »
It is a little expensive, but the hunting is well worth it to me. I will also be able to turkey hunt next year there.  :D  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline IowaBuckHunter

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2005, 06:54:31 PM »
Slugs are truely accurate to ABOUT 150 yds.  Shoot reall well at 100.  Beyond 150 yds, it is either the shooter, or luck.  Shooting a deer with a slug at 300 yds means you had lady luck on your side.  Can't brag about the type of gun or the best slug on that one.  Just say you got lucky.

Although I have found that 20's shoot a lot better than 12's.  They shoot flatter with higher velocities, and can shoot a little farther as well.

A slug that ya'll should try if you have a rifled barrel is the newish remington buckhammer.  I shot those through my 20 guage 1187 this year and I loved em.  I gave my buck a texas heart shot and had it pass through, which is impressive for a slug.  They are all about weight retention and penetration.  They hardly expand at all.  

Another nice thing about them is that they are a heavy slug.  I hate how most slugs are so light, especially the 20's weighing in at about 5/8-7/8 ounce.  These buckhammers are one ouncers in 20 ga and up to 1 1/4 in 12 guage.  It is impressive to have a one ounce 20 ga saboted slug becuase a 20 ga foster slug is only 7/8 ounce.  Also, the sabot is at the bottom of the slug instead of around it.  (for you muzzleloader hunters, it is similar to a powerbelt bullet)  This offers a MUCH bigger hole, so it really does not matter that the bullet does not expand.

Remington shot a 100 shot group at the factory with the 20 ga's and it grouped 3.5 inches.  Yes, you read that right.  That is UNREAL for slugs.

Give em a try- they are sure to please!
Accuracy doesn't come from the arrow, it comes from the Indian!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2005, 01:35:01 AM »
IowaBuckHunter, call it what you want. But I took 10 deer this year. All on shot kills. Lady luck had nothing to do with it. It was 210 yards not 300 yards, a big difference. I would say it is the shooter.  :grin:
You get 3 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. My set up gets better than that. And why should I switch slugs if what I have been using works????? :roll:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA